I suggest you ...

support XP for 4.5 until the end of XP support!

So many entreprises have to continue to support XP because microsoft themself still support it until 2014!

Because of this we have to ban 4.5 development on any products that is sold externally.

Please come back on this marketing decision and provide a 4.5 framework that the entreprises can work with!

1,736 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SlickRickSlickRick shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Visual Studio teamAdminVisual Studio team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

Thanks SlickRick and everyone else for sharing feedback on this issue. We have published Visual Studio 2012 supported platforms here: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/11/en-us/products/compatibility.

While Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 are not supported by .NET Framework 4.5, they remain as a supported targeted platform in Visual Studio 2012 by targeting .NET Framework 4.0. More information is available here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/05/18/a-look-ahead-at-the-visual-studio-11-product-lineup-and-platform-support.aspx.

For those still needing to support Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, we’ve added value down-level to .NET Framework 4.0 from 4.5 via platform updates (4.0.1, 4.0.2 and 4.0.3) and standalone libraries (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bclteam/archive/2012/10/22/using-async-await-without-net-framework-4-5.aspx and http://nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.Net.Http).

Regards

David Kean
    .NET Framework Team

35 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

.Net is too slow.I hope .net 4.5 be more faster and more smaller. vs2012 should be more faster.
        So I don't think.net 4.5 should support xp. net 4.0 is enought for xp now.
        IF microsoft can let c# compiler to native code and abandon .net is more better.

• RaghuramanRaghuraman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want to move to .net 4.5 but due to the support is not provided for xp it stops us in moving to .net 4.5.

• BobGBobG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have thousands of users running XP as well and is our holdup from running our product .NET 4.5 as well. Please reconsider! You are holding up progress for our company.

Thank you.

• JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is also a major issue for Windows Server 2003 as well. We cannot force our clients to update their infrastructure OS yet have no fixes for issues existing in 4.0 that are however fixed in 4.5.

Terrible decision

• Md. Rashidul Hasan MasumMd. Rashidul Hasan Masum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also plz support xp for 5.0. Most of the country members are using windows xp officially or personally. For that reason we cannot upgrade our project into 4.5 or 5.0. But at those framework version and coming 5.0 has some cool features which we developers are missing very much.

• RichardRichard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@John Saunders: The fact that you won't see 4.0 bugs which were fixed in 4.5 is a pretty big "nothing"!

Let's not get into the arguments about testing on an XP machine; none of that changes the fact that installing 4.5 on your dev box hides 4.0 bugs from you, even if you're still using VS2010. Since we can't get a list of bugs which were fixed, we don't even know what we need to look out for!

• John SaundersJohn Saunders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous: nothing prevents you from using Visual Studio 2012 to develop .NET 4.0 applications for Windows XP.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please end XP support more sooner and do not bring suport for .Net 4.5 to it , please go to 7 or 8 people

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I simply cannot adopt .Net4.5, with all its cool features because I must support XP SP3

• Reinhard OstermeierReinhard Ostermeier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Lee Campell: The reason not updating to Vista was: Vista! (for most people). The reason for not updating to Win7 then was (in my customers case) that drivers and other SW were still not available. For about a year now (in most cases) drivers and SW is available, but upgrading costs thousends of Euros per machine in a production environment. So it wil take a while. But in general: you are right.

• Lee CampbellLee Campbell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We all had years to upgrade to Vista and then to Win7 and now Win8 is nearly here. Global recession was a poor excuse not to upgrade to Vista 5 years ago when they could have. Let XP die.

@Fernando Moreira: How does that blog post relate to this suggestion? The blog post is about XP targeting for C++; this suggestion is about .NET on XP.

• jtbesarjtbesar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

...i do not support XP for 4.5. Let XP die a 'natural death' until it will be banned. After all, what is the use of support, i mean additional support for 4.5, when it is confirmed that it will be banned...that is only in my newbie's idea. GOoD day!...

@Peter: I'm so pleased to hear that you and all of your customers have somehow managed to avoid being affected by the global recession. Please bear in mind that others were not so lucky; economic constraints have affected system upgrades far more than lazy admins.

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No. Just ******* NO. **** those "enterprises". Tell their admins to get off their lazy bums and update their **** or stick with XP and DEAL with it.

• AndrewAndrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey MS maybe if you Open Source .NET some of us might be able to help you catch up with some of the work ?! No this does not mean you have to stop selling Visual Studios as its by far the best IDE, but who close sources a language these days?? I mean rly come on... we all loose in the end this way!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base