I suggest you ...

make all msdn documentation available off-line

Please bring us back to the good old days where all docs available off-line were available to download... if not free for all at least for msdn subscribers.
Thank you

591 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Juan Carlos GalvezJuan Carlos Galvez shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew JohnsonAndrew Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice tool but it only offers what Visual Studio does. Still no sign of the SDK v7.0 material - eg "Web Development" which included "Microsoft Windows Script Technologies".

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As part of our release process, we create a long term support development VM with the right OS, Visual Studio version, third party libraries and MSDN documentation needed to support a very large application. This support VM will only be updated with critical OS patches.
        It takes a multiple month QA cycle to test one of our many large applications and we cannot get the budget to do more than 1 or 2 of the 40+ applications each year.
        We need to support VS 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, multiple SQL Server versions, multiple server and desktop os verions, multiple third party verisions,....

• ArunaAruna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lightweight html Zip documentaion to be use offline will be a Great Learning Tool Specially for Newcomers. Furter it may be made avilable inside the IDE through "help". Also provide a way to Update "the Old Version of the Documentation" by Downloading "the New Version" (atleast twice a year), just a single click!. (The Offline Documentaion at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34794 is Very Big one! 2.7GB)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed I would very much like to have this option. I often work in an isolated network environment and having to move back and forth between two PC's is a pain. The online msdn documentation is superior to the local help provided with VS2012

• KevinKevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It really is seeming like good documentation is taking a backseat at Microsoft.

• Eriawan KusumawardhonoEriawan Kusumawardhono commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For Visual Studio 2012, the offline documentation is available at:
        http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34794

But pay attention and take note that the download has no documentation of Entity Framework 5 in .NET 4.5, and it's also quite not up to date.
        After you have installed the documentation, please update again.

I think it's also useful for all of us if Microsoft provided the latest update in a periodical way, just like the old MSDN Library from 2002 to 2008.

Unfortunately, even in VS 2008, the latest update of offline MSDN Library is MSDN Library for VS 2008 SP1. No further update after this update (for VS 2008).

• KenKen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey I also like to convert the CHM file snippets into Pdfs for quick reference. Can we at least have an API handle to facilitate the port.

• John WadeJohn Wade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In some development environments, one CANNOT assume there is an Internet connection. Hence, offline viewing of help is a REQUIREMENT in such an environment.

• Rick C. HodginRick C. Hodgin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excellent idea. Local help is much faster. And it's much more reliable than help through Internet connections -- especially when traveling.

Great Idea.
        Our internet connection is very restricted for security reasons.
        So getting an DVD would be great.
        It should also be extended by some of the most commonly used tools for Visual Studio.

Yes, PLEASE provide an ISO. It makes no sense to install Visual Studio on a hundred machines and have to download gigabytes of documentation to each one. It makes even less sense when we have to haul all the machines out of the secure area to one where the Internet is available to do it and re-certify all of them as secure again.

• GlosseGlosse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the Toolbox, where is help documentation? Select a control, hit F1, and nothing???

• mac grewalmac grewal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work in a development environment without an Internet connection for security reasons. Having to switch to another machine for help undoes a lot of the productivity benefits I get from using VS2012.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base