I suggest you ...

make all msdn documentation available off-line

Please bring us back to the good old days where all docs available off-line were available to download... if not free for all at least for msdn subscribers.
Thank you

791 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Juan Carlos GalvezJuan Carlos Galvez shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

35 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Vellai Chamy UgrasenanVellai Chamy Ugrasenan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

down vote
        https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34794

This download includes an ISO image file of the Visual Studio and .NET Framework documentation—overviews, how-to articles, API reference pages, sample code, and more—to help you in your development efforts.

Version: See file name. File Name: VS2012Documentation.iso VS2013Documentation.iso Date Published: 6/10/2014 File Size: 2.7 GB 4.0 GB

• BillBill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

F...ing MS! All what they do - pice of ...! I try to install help for vs2015, and i have no part with WinApi functions. I try to install older - help1, but no! help1 need the NetFramework4, and i have 4.5 with vs2015 by default. I uninstalled fr4.5, install 4, and after i install 4.5 again. F...ing MS! F...ing MS! F...ing MS! F...ing MS! F...ing MS! All installation process very slow.. Why? I think that better to create portable soft. MS i hate you!)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't work with the online help. File | Help option in VS 2013 brings up https://msdn.microsoft.com/query/dev12.query?appId=Dev12IDEF1&l=en-US&k=k(MSDNSTART)&rd=true which is help for VS 2015.. The MSDN searchs defaults to .Net 4.5. I am writing PowerShell so .Net 4.5 isn't cutting it for me. .Net 4.0 would be more appropriate, but I can't find any override.

Google is my best friend. I would like to send a thank you out to Henry for providing the codeplex download. My machine didn't even have the help viewer installed. http://vshd2012.codeplex.com/

• William BosackerWilliam Bosacker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Microsoft Help Viewer is a very nice tool, but it DOES NOT allow you to download ALL of the help documents / library. It only gives you access to something like <5% of the entire library. Prior to 2008, the previous viewer gave local download access to the entire library. That is what this request is all about.

• FredFred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently if you have the installed a full product like Visual Studio 2013 you can bring down document with Microsoft Help Viewer 2.1, it is a very easy to use tool, but my problem is that I want those documents on my Tablet. since Microsoft already have Microsoft Help Viewer, just needs to make it an standalone software.

At least make "Windows SDK/Desktop development" help content available again for download via vshd-like tools.

• Andrew JohnsonAndrew Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice tool but it only offers what Visual Studio does. Still no sign of the SDK v7.0 material - eg "Web Development" which included "Microsoft Windows Script Technologies".

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As part of our release process, we create a long term support development VM with the right OS, Visual Studio version, third party libraries and MSDN documentation needed to support a very large application. This support VM will only be updated with critical OS patches.
        It takes a multiple month QA cycle to test one of our many large applications and we cannot get the budget to do more than 1 or 2 of the 40+ applications each year.
        We need to support VS 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, multiple SQL Server versions, multiple server and desktop os verions, multiple third party verisions,....

• ArunaAruna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lightweight html Zip documentaion to be use offline will be a Great Learning Tool Specially for Newcomers. Furter it may be made avilable inside the IDE through "help". Also provide a way to Update "the Old Version of the Documentation" by Downloading "the New Version" (atleast twice a year), just a single click!. (The Offline Documentaion at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34794 is Very Big one! 2.7GB)

Indeed I would very much like to have this option. I often work in an isolated network environment and having to move back and forth between two PC's is a pain. The online msdn documentation is superior to the local help provided with VS2012

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base