I suggest you ...

Allow development of Windows Store apps offline - no license required

When developing Windows Store apps, it appears that you must be connected to the internet in order to obtain a 1 month "developer license".

This seems to me to be an unnecessary hurdle to the development process. My employer has an explicit policy that prevents dev machines being Internet connected.

I understand the license is probably an anti-piracy measure (or some means to stop users deploying apps outside the Store), but seems overly heavy-handed for a development environment.

MS, please don't just assume that all your users are Internet connected, all the time. Can we have this fixed pronto, please.

865 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    L-DiddyL-Diddy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Juan Carlos GalvezJuan Carlos Galvez shared a merged idea: Provide a way to obtain a windows 8 developer license off-line  ·   · 

38 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AndreasAndreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I add my voice to the chorus of people here who hate this developer licencing mess. I lost a whole day of work today because the licencing service wasn't available. Finally at midnight Microsoft connected some wires and I got a one-month licence. Very frustrating. Even though I love Microsoft development tools, Android is far easier.

• PrimoPrimo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As we all very well know...
        .All inquiries must be submitted no longer (later)...
        all so benefits you and I, gravitate toward...

• EMACEMAC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Im triying to lean but dont have internet connection where i installed vs.net, why i need a licence?

• DickDick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right! Microsoft should make it much easier to get developers creating apps instead of unnecessary difficult.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our internal financial application
        - has thousands of internal users in our company.
        - has no connection except to an in-house database server
        - development is done in machines not connected to the internet for security reasons
        - source code and files deployed are audited for only approved connections
        - source code is not sent outside of IT for validation, verification, etc. (i.e., can't send to a store for its review, even an intermediate language review of the .net assemblies).
        - .NET produced binaries are obfuscated and shipped in native machine code

How can we build and distribute a Windows 8 desktop or Windows 8 tablet version of the application?

It's currently Windows 7, built entirely in-house without third party components, and deployed without an external vendor license key.

Simply stated, how we can get the same deployment process for a Win tablet as is done for a Windows 7 desktop for in-house applications?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's high time to thing about Android's progress....

without free service windows windows app also store app cant get market..

Because free service help to learn for everyone and everyone have a power to create a market....

Bakul Bar
        Kolkata, WB, INDIA
        Mobile:9831359032

I hate the fact that I have to use a ***** just to develop *my own* software!

This is ridiculous.

• Ken McLarenKen McLaren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WOW! Just Wow!

I was looking forward to writing some Windows 8.x software but, I will not be doing that now. Well at least not until I can develop without Microsoft have a control string attached to me. (hmm, I should have said "Control Thread", that's more appropriate. We are all developers after all haha). Anyways, I have been a MS supporter since DOS 3.3, and I just can't believe they are going the same route as Apple. If there is no software, then no one wants the OS, and that's what happened to Apple back in the day. MS you guys really have to re-think this. I'd hate to think my 30 years supporting you all was for nothing..

• MaxMax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes!!! We're far away from allwyas connected future and internet outages are common these days

I vote that they get rid of the annoying Developer license during production. Some people are just trying to learn how to make stuff.

• Jim WilcoxJim Wilcox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I chose the Microsoft Windows 8.1 platform before I knew about the sideload licensing. I have developed a mobile estimating app that runs on Windows RT. Now I find that I can deploy it to the salespeople in our company without them have to renew a developers license each month. If I want to get around this, I am supposed to purchase 100 Sideload License Keys? We only have 5 sales people. Also, If I write an app, why should I need to purchase a key from Microsoft in order to deploy it to my users? I waited and avoided this project until the Microsoft platform was available. My boss had asked me to do it on IOS or Android. I assured him the Microsoft platform would be top notch once it came out. Having to purchase a key to use your own software is bad enough, but making you buy 100 keys is unconscionable. Please fix this.

Put quite simply, I will refuse to develop a store app until I can do the whole thing offline. No-one shall have this control over myself or my company.
        Since Microsoft needs more apps on its store, fixing this issue will definately help cure that problem.

• ANKITANKIT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I get error when i try to get developer license for windows 8.1
        what should I do? please suggest
        error code : 0x80072F00

• WinMetroWinMetro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is fixed in Windows 8.1 RTM and a new hotfix for Windows 8: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2871280
        However, you need to enable these Group Policy settings to allow offline development:
        Computer configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\App Package Deployment\Allow all trusted apps to install
        Computer configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\App Package Deployment\Allow development of Windows Store apps without installing a developer license.
        You also may need to be joined to a domain to use this since MS considers this to be a enterprise feature.

• Brian AcuffBrian Acuff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Encountering this license was the Last Straw leading to my removing "Microsoft" - the initial entry from I don't know how many years ago - from my "Preferred/Trusted" Vendors database.

Well done, MS.

• Reetunjoy MondalReetunjoy Mondal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, please stop all this licensing methods for developers, atleast. If this thing continues, then it may happen that no other developer will use Windows, other than online people, which comes in the ratio (1:3)[online:offline]. They will shift to an alternate and more reliable method. This infact will create a great loss to Microsoft. By looking at the new Windows store app feature, we suggest Microsoft to enable it as off-line feature, so that a majority people can explore and inovate new ideas.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base