I suggest you ...

Bring Back Full-Color Icons to Visual Studio 2012

The mostly black & gray glyphs used in Visual Studio 2012 are very difficult to distinguish between. Familiar icons that we have known and used for years are now gone, and it takes (wastes!) a ton of time trying to find the right icon/command/object. Please bring back the tried-and-true, full-color icons that clearly represent each command/object and are easily identifiable.

4,286 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    TIMTIM shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    chrischris shared a merged idea: Bring back the "VISUAL" in visual studio  ·   · 
    GlynGlyn shared a merged idea: Drop the circa 1987 icons in VS2012  ·   · 
    GlynGlyn shared a merged idea: Drop the circa 1991 icons in VS2012  ·   · 
    No nameNo name shared a merged idea: Retain icons from previous versions for IDE  ·   · 
    completed  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

Thanks to everyone who voted and commented on this issue. Visual Studio 2013 has added color in several broad reaching icon categories. We classified the icons we focused on into three sets: icons which represent common actions, icons which indicate code hierarchy, and icons that provide some kind of notification. By utilizing a systematic and broadly applicable approach to color use we are better able to effectively convey critical meaning or affiliation through color, to attract attention through color, and to improve scan-ability through color. This approach translates into color being applied to ~80% of standard toolbar and debug toolbar icons, ~75% of code hierarchy icons, and 100% of active notifications.

Based upon the design goals outlined above and design decisions reflected in the existing scheme for each of the core icon sets we will continue to apply and extend our approach to icon colorization as we move forward. As Visual Studio 2013 Preview has now shipped, we’re closing this item to give your votes back for you to use on emerging topics. We encourage you to try out the changes we’ve made and then share additional feedback you might have.

Visual Studio UX Team

296 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AntonAnton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, bring back VS2008 or VS2010 icons. Those new flat icons are so much hard to identify. Stop taunt your users

• Volker SchefferbizVolker Schefferbiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since 3 years I am working perfectly with VS2010 and of course I wanted to take a peek at what will be next and how to strategically modify upcoming projects. But honestly these new Icons were a total slap in the face. After a few minutes I thought "Well give it a try" ... after an hour I got nerved ... after a day I was furious.
        It's like some idiot has totally messed up everything.

Please fix this ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the moment I can only hope that there will be no project in the near future which forces me and my team to leave VS2010.

• Michael ElofsonMichael Elofson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To paraphrase the Sprite ad, “Fashion is e everything, usability is nothing”, obviously. Using VS 2013 feels like I am back in the 1980s using simple flat monochrome graphics. It’s esthetically unremarkable, but worst of all, it is infinitely worse than any UI since the early 1980s. VS 2008 and even VS 2010 was good so why, based on fashion, change that. Is it panic, caused by the competition with tablets and Apple and Android? If so, it definitely was the wrong move. Moreover, both of those companies have not dropped the colors anyway.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a cretin invented such moronic Metro theme?! Adolf has reborn... And all the monkeys including websites copy this insanity! What the **** is the world coming?!!

Please, bring back VS2010 icons. Those new flat icons are so much hard to identify.

• PissedPissed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Colorization"...you people sound like Metros. Just put the old icons back, you morons.

The issue is not just "color", fools. You're (purposely) forgetting DEPTH! Stop with the androgynous ********. We are men and women, not Metros.

• MSdevM1MSdevM1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you MS-guys are colorblind and want to have a flat gray layout: fine. BUT make it optional.
        I have a significant loss in productivity, even though i am using it daily. But i am using 2008 also daily because i work on different servers.

Completed? You are joking. View menu has two colors for 23 menu items. And what about Toolbox? About 70 gray icons. You are really crazy. You wasted the time, why you change the things, which are good?

• HateVS2012HateVS2012 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would have to agree with most people about how ugly your new UI is. Keep alienating your customers Microsoft. You did it with Windows 8, XBox, and now Visual Studio. Google is right behind you. One day, everyone will be using Google products.

Keep forcing idiotic ideas in your products, Microsoft.

Multiple designers don't know how to make a good looking Visual Studio interface. Why don't you ask someone's opinion before published it?

• Anonymous22722Anonymous22722 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And is it all complains, which are soooooo true, or does anyone have a professional solution?
        I cannot use patches and hacks inside secure big business servers

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without a doubt....they've gone backwards in design instead of forwards. A definite loss in productivity.

• JoergJoerg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second that. I can live with the ALL CAPS MENUS. I don't see the point, but I can live with it.

My main complaint about the VS2012/2013 GUI is the icons being hard to tell apart. It has improved with VS2013, but they are still hard to distinguish. What's wrong with colors? This is a major failure in UI design.

My second complaint are the TFS related dialogs: "View pending changes" was completely ruined in VS2012 and repaired a bit in VS2013, but still worse than in VS2010.

3 things: 1) Stop being bullies; 2) Start listening to your customers; and 3) Use common sense!

• graphicsRatgraphicsRat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Google, if you are reading this. Please develop a usable C++ IDE. I know you can. Thank you.

• brianbrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Maciej Jakub Bańkowski

I agree with you unfortunately Microsoft is a company that has stopped listening and now appears to be run by marketing people who have absolutely no idea what is right for their users or their business.

What they have done to the Windows business is well open to a shareholder law suite against the senior management of Microsoft for total and utter incompetence. They had a chance to save the day when the initial reviews of the beta came in - yet they chose to ignore leaving the desk top users lost in a sea of sheer and utter touch mania.

Same with VS 2013 - refused to listen, ok they tweaked a little but that's all.
        Arrogance is now what Microsoft excels in rather than brilliant products. Just hope their new head is more competent than the last - which does beg the question did he jump or was he pushed....

• Maciej Jakub BańkowskiMaciej Jakub Bańkowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cling on to VS 2010 and Windows 7 precisely because of the look & feel of the UI.

I recently installed, was forced to do it really, VS 2013 on Windows 8.1 - I could not find many of the things I use in development, like 'Do I have Management Studio installed? Where is it? How do I search the filesystem? How do I start the SQL Server service? WHY IS VS MENU ALL IN CAPS?

Thankfully the project was cancelled and I could get back to VS2010+Win7. I really miss and want the new & cool features of .NET 4.5 and VS2013 but I want to be productive more.

Fix the UI and usability, please.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15

Feedback and Knowledge Base