I suggest you ...

Include SQL BI tools in the latest VS version

SQL Server 2012 has followed its predecessors as the BI Tools released again with the previous version of VS instead of the latest one.

Please, release the BI tools with the latest VS version and include it in SQL Server. Be the IDE really integrated again (or finally)!

675 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Norbert BieberNorbert Bieber shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • WayneWayne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very disappointed to find that BIDS 2012 is not integrated with VS 2012. Should I request a refund?

• nojetlagnojetlag commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The person in charge for this mess should be fired! Sorry to say but it's an everyday pain to tons of customers and so far no signs from MSFT to even give a timeline to fix this situation. Super disappointing.

• DaverDaver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's another angle of attack to solve the problem... rather than put hooks in for future unknown feature, perhaps they should encapsulate the VS IDE designers so that it neither depends upon each other. KISS: Keep it simple smarty. The more complicated something is, the more chance it will fail. Keep it your designs and code as simple as possible, but no simpler.

I just got reply from Connect.Microsoft.Com regarding "Merge SSMS 2012 with more SSDT features" "Thanks for the feedback, we understand your request. Unfortunately at this time we are not making investments in this experience area."

Does this mean mean that aren't improving MS SQLMS anymore? if they don't want to do the work, shouldn't they give up control of SQL MS to the Visual Studio team? They are probably better making IDE's that the DB team anyways. It's been decades and they haven't made an radical improvements with the IDE regarding productivity.

This was my request: Please release more frequent updates to the IDE. Don't just update the IDE when the SQL Engine is updated.

Solution Explorer 2012 is very limited in SSMS2012. We should be able to search/filter the items displayed just like VS2012.

Also, I would like to be able to have the same search everywhere feature in the text editor has for VS2012 C#.

SSRS designer has lots of bugs. If you try making a table with gray cell borders and black top and bottom borders for each record1, you will see random visual border issues for each record. Can you have an option for SSRS Reports to be definied in HTML5 and CSS instead of RDL? RDL seems to be very verbose and buggy and I don't know how to use generation tools to generate my report template.

It is currently a nightmare, especially when you get a new computer and forget the installation order. No wonder Windows and computers sales are slow. Why would you want to re-install this stuff? It should not be this difficult.

• Derek DongrayDerek Dongray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My suggestion (http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3440874-update-sqlserver-2012-data-tool-to-be-an-extension) was to see if BIDS/SSDT could be integrated as an extension. Might not make it any easier though.

I also read a comment here https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/508552/ssis-vs2010-project-type) from Jeff Bernhardt (Product Unit Manager, SQL Server Integration Services) about the same issue which occurred with SS2008 and VS2010, indicatiing its due to "convoluted dependencies". This indicates that the SQL Server and Visual Studion team must do some work together to integrate the tools, so you'd think they'd do a bit of forward thinking and put the hooks into VS2012 so SSDT2012 could just slot in!

• Kevin DahlKevin Dahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2 versions of VS, plus SSMS because neither version of VS supports many of the development features within SSMS, and don't even get me started on Expression. With each new version the MS development tools seem to be fracturing further and further.

• David BojsenDavid Bojsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to see backwards compatability so I could use VS 2012 for all BI projects for all previous SQL versions.

Feedback and Knowledge Base