I suggest you ...

Available Visual Studio 2012 color/font/icon themes look like they were put together by a ******** donkey on *****.

IS THIS FUN TO READ, OR IS IT OBNOXIOUS? WOULD YOU ENJOY READING TEXT LIKE THIS FOR 8+ HOURS PER DAY? I SUBMIT THAT YOU WOULD NOT. ALL CAPS menu options are both unnecessary and ugly, and should never be a default setting. Tabs and panels that blend in with the editors and windows make it take longer to locate the controls you're after (it shouldn't take more than 0.5s to right-click a tab and move it to a new vertical tab group). Monochromatic icons are painful to look at and a headache to read through quickly. I shouldn't have to download extensions, manually patch dlls, and add registry entries, just to make an already expensive product even usable. Default settings should be readable. Obnoxious settings should be optional.

5 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    PyrrhaPyrrha shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • skyindexproskyindexpro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although the original post may not be an eloquently stated complaint, it is accurate. It is truly beyond me how the User Interface for VS 2012 ever got considered let alone made it into the final product.

It is *true* that having nothing but light shades for gray for everything makes it difficult to discern different parts of the program. It is *true*, as anyone with any UI experience at all knows, that monochrome icons are not as usable as icons with color. In many cases people just look for the color rather than the actual image.

I’m going to let Microsoft in on something that they clearly have not learned even though it is painfully obvious. Apple products aren’t as popular as they are because they are better, it is because they are beautifully designed and presented in a very elegant way. That includes their OS. OS X is *not* a better OS than Windows, but it *is* a far more elegant OS. Windows 7 came close to evening the score. By contrast, the Desktop in Windows 8 is the epitome of bland and outdated. This *will* turn people off.

Not only did VS 2012 go way, way over the line in trying to ‘go with’ the Metro theme, Come on people... Think. I mean really… This just has to have been some kind of mandate from someone high up in the company. I know the VS team is far too smart and talented to have done this on their own.

• BaruchBaruch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They are paid not to listen..
        Your are very accurate about MS employing the three monkeys as UI designers.

Feedback and Knowledge Base