I suggest you ...

Add the ability to create portable libraries in Visual Studio Express editions

(Filed on behalf on a customer)

Users are able to consume portable libraries in the Express editions of Visual Studio, but unable to create them. Please add them to the express editions.

285 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

Thanks for the suggestion. We’re happy to announce that portable class libraries are now also being made available through Visual Studio Express for Windows. In case you try out the RC: there is currently a bug that prevents you from targeting .NET 4/4.0.3 and Silverlight 5. We plan on fixing this for RTM.

Immo Landwerth
    Program Manager
    .NET Framework Team

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second Tim's sentiments, why make this only work in windows store apps instead of all versions of express?

• Tim BihlajamaTim Bihlajama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the hard work. Would be nice to have PCLs supported in ALL versions rather than just the version for creating Windows Store apps. This doesn't really seem like a fix.

• Murani LewisMurani Lewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whatever developers need to deliver the absolute best and needed apps to the platform should be supported.

• David KeanDavid Kean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the comments and suggestion. I should clarify, Visual Studio Express can consume portable libraries in binary form (ie file reference), but cannot load the project in source form. Therefore, if you produce binaries via NuGet or some other mechanism, then Express users will be able to consume them.

• CarlosCarlos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Was excited about supporting Portable Libraries, but if they are not supported in Express editions of Visual Studio, I'm not going to bother.

• SleepyDaddySoftwareSleepyDaddySoftware commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems like a no brainer to me. There is already a project template in MonoDevelop for PCL libraries. I think VS Express should support them too.

• Simon JacksonSimon Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually Express editions cannot even be opened in Express editions as they are currently not supported.

PCL solutions are gaining a lot of support of late and most hobbyists only have access to the express editions. It's possible to create a type of PCL project using platform libs and shared code but does not have the advantages of PCL projects.

Frameworks like MonoGame, MvvMCross, MVVMLight and others are all implementing PCL support which are not available to users of express editions can only implement in a limited fashion and devs aren't able to build new PCL based solutions either.

Other basic development environments Like Xamarin Studio already offer this support so why not the VS Express editions?

Feedback and Knowledge Base