I suggest you ...

Wrap lines intelligently (simulating indents)

Like other text editors, Visual Studio has a word wrap feature (Tools / Options / Text Editor / All languages / Word wrap ). However unlike other text editors, Visual Studio's word wrap ignores indents, spilling the line continuation into the margin. This makes the page very messy.

Take a look how other text editors do line wrap (screenshot of Notepad++ attached), respecting indentation, so the line continuation is displayed with the same margin. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12324453/wrap-lines-intelligently-simulating-indents-in-visual-studio-2012

Another bug with Visual Studio's word wrap is that triple clicking in the editor selects the line on screen rather than the physical line as expected.

ps. A bug with 'User Voice' is that this text area is tiny!

89 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BULL - You get more useful screen estate being used by code.... ITS BEEN THIS WAY SINCE 2012 AND PREVIOUS VERSIONS..... DON'T FORCE THIS INDENTING WITHOUT THERE BEING AN OPTION TO REVERT BACK TO THE OLD STYLE.... PEOPLE LIKE AND ARE USE TO THE OLD STYLE... STOP FORCING YOUR BS ON US!

• RR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Needs confiurgable setting. Also a 'Join lines split on the '.' operator refactoring for entire file would be great.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you think "this isn't worth fixing because only a few Visual Studio users use word wrap", consider that "most Visual Studio users don't use word wrap BECAUSE IT'S BROKEN".

Feedback and Knowledge Base