I suggest you ...

Allow Windows Phone 8 Development on non-SLAT processors

I'm sure there are many developers out there with "older" systems that are completely capable of running Windows 8 64-bit and Visual Studio 2012 but are not able to develop and test Windows Phone 8 applications because of Microsoft's choice to make the Windows Phone 8 emulator a Hyper-V virtual machine. There should be a mechanism to run the emulator using either VMware Player or VirtualBox which will use SLAT if it's present but will continue to work if it isn't or update Hyper-V to do the same.

I don't understand this choice as I am able to write applications for Windows 8 using the built in simulator and I would think that is more involved than developing for the phone. Making it MORE difficult to develop for the phone isn't smart when you need more apps to compete with other ecosystems.

484 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mike MMike M shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stupid, stupid, stupid decision. I've been writing c# for years, Getting started writing an Android app took me <1 hour.

I've been 2 days setting up windows 8.1 pro 64bit and then find out I can't run the emulators because i haven't got hyper-v.

A complete waste of time

i am not able to get output for windows phone app just because of slat process doesnt perform hyper v ...

• Miha MarkicMiha Markic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This restriction is simply unbelivable. You can't run emulator on slighlty older CPUs nor on systems with VMWare installed.
        OTOH since there are so many apps for WP and there are so many WP devs out there it makes sense to reduce both numbers, eh.

• Christophe BChristophe B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot debug wp8 apps because my processor does not support SLAT. I can understand that emulator needs this feature, and Microsoft is too busy to fix this issue.

But why the **** is it impossible to DEVELOP without SLAT, and without emulator!!!

My users ask for new features, I have a lot of new app ideas, and I cannot develop them!

• ScippyScippy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's crazy Microsoft choice! I'm developer but I'm no able to build windows phone 8 application only because my PC and Laptop are with Core 2 Duo. My Laptop is a great Dell Latitude E6500, I've paid it over 2.000€ two year ago and I have absolutely no intention of changing it!
        Microsoft takes a lot of resources to encourage developers to use their products, and then once you reach the goal with these ridiculous choices prevents him from doing their job!
        IT'S CRAZY!!!

• Chris QuickChris Quick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just ordered a new system in hopes of including WP8 development in my available options -- however, to find that I first have to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro just so I can have Hyper-V to be able to run the emulator just for debugging? No wonder the Windows Phone 8 ecosystem is so weak -- this needs to be fixed so more developers like me can begin putting our ideas into the store!

This doesn't include the inherit problems I've had with my business laptop using Hyper-V on wireless devices... that's the number one thing blocking me as a hobbiest and my company from developing for Windows Phone 8 -- this requirement for Hyper-V.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Running into this same problem. HOW RIDICULOUS. Unbelievable how little thought was put into this.. no wonder they are getting destroyed by Android and iOS.

Stop developing app for wp8 for a while. I have to use virtual box on MacBook to be able to debug wp8 app. I mean seriously Microsoft?

• Moizzah AsifMoizzah Asif commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

microsoft should really justify this move of theirs,

why to replace a well equipped machine for this ignorance of microsoft

buying a whole new machine is not easy for everyone.. costs a good amount of money

i dont know why MS has not done anyhing about this

so many developers are out there who simply cant develop due to this sick consraint

i have run heavy simulation sofware on my core 2 duo 2.1 ghz including OPNET i dont understand what is this with the HYPER V thing!

• bobbob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The sheer and utter stupidity of this company just never, ever ceases to amaze. Love this Lumia phone, why oh why can't it run Android.

• piyawanpiyawan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. My Core2 Duo is still perfect. To buy new computer with Core i for developing WP8 SDK is nonsense and waste money.

• JSLJSL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I couldn't agree more. It's beyond incomprehensible that Microsoft seems to do it as difficult as possible for people to develope apps for WP8, when more apps is the one thing they need to compete with Android and iOS. It's almost as if they're trying to sabotage their own ecosystem!

I feel bad for Nokia. They've done awesome job with the Lumia phones, but their efforts on re-gaining marketshare are being sabotaged by the awful decision making by Microsoft.

• zekezeke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I bought a new Gateway dual core laptop earlier this year to write WP8 apps. Finally got around to installing VS Phone and can't run the emulator without SLAT. Can't believe this. How do you even check out a machine easily for SLAT before buying it and how many are available in the affordable range? MS is crying there's no apps but this just put a damper on the whole thing. Android OS is free, the dev environment is free and don't need special latest & greatest machine to do it.

• DanielDaniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto this!

Warning to other developers: I spent the money to upgrade my VMWare Workstation 7 license to Workstation 9 because I was under the impression that it would allow me to run Hyper V and therefore the emulator. It doesn't work and I wasted my whole weekend trying to make it work! VMWare won't emulate hardware SLAT in software! If VMWare Workstation can't do it, neither will VMWare Player. Anyone who says otherwise has a SLAT-capable machine and just doesn't realize it. I have a perfectly good Intel Q9550 CPU here at home with plenty of RAM that runs circles around the machines at my workplace. It runs Windows 8 just fine in a VM. The emulator requirement for SLAT should not exist.

Microsoft: If your latest software is unable to run on all of the CPUs in the "high-end" CPU list on cpubenchmark.net, then you are doing it WRONG! I just want to develop some basic apps for Windows Phone 8 but I can't do that without paying the "Apple tax" but this time in Microsoft land (i.e. pay $800+ to upgrade my hardware for a single CPU feature)! That's completely messed up. While I could partially write the purchase off on my taxes as equipment depreciation, it would take years to recover the losses incurred for the relatively minor gain. I *might* purchase a cheap (< $100) Windows Phone 8 device designed for developers...but they don't exist - the closest is the Nokia Lumia 521 but they are out of stock everywhere as of this writing. And even that would be overkill for what I want to do. It is cheaper and I get to keep my sanity intact by simply not supporting Windows Phone 8.

Let's be honest - we've pretty much reached the limits of silicon when the same computer equipment is sufficient for all tasks over a 5+ year time span and that outlook doesn't seem to be changing for another 5 years. THAT is the real reason people aren't upgrading their PC hardware every couple of years. They don't see the need. Even as a software developer and hardcore PC gamer who loves new tech toys and used to upgrade frequently, I certainly don't. Almost nothing pushes my existing hardware setup to its limits. Minor new hardware features like SLAT are a terrible reason to spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on new equipment. But maybe that is your objective: Continue the Wintel relationship by forcing developers to upgrade their hardware through subtle, incremental hardware dependencies. That is a terrible business model and you can kiss your potential developer base for Windows Phone 8 goodbye. Users complain about your app store not having enough apps - well, it is stupid **** like not being able to run the Windows Phone 8 emulator on perfectly fine hardware that is cause of those complaints.

No developers = no apps = no users = no money! Fix this NOW!

• banmanbanman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

planned to migrate some android and ios apps to wp8, but seems unlikely without SLAT. anyway, wp market share is small, and it'll be smaller obviously due to its own decision. btw, people say wp8 is shiny, it is not compared with android and ios and even blackberry, just better than wp7 shipped with notorious IE which doesn't work for many normal website...

• Average developerAverage developer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why should I bother helping microsoft with WP8 if I can develop and test for the most important mobile OS (android) without stupid hardware and software limitations??? Because of the tiny market share that WP holds? HAHAHA.

Get things easy for developers, stupid microsoft

• LMKLMK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft sure like to shoot themselves in the foot... Try and get lots of "Apps" in their store, but make it as difficult as possible to develop them. I have a perfectly good Windows 8 64 bit quad core dev machine(Q6600), which I can't use due to the SLAT requirement. WTF??? Do you guys at MS even care about your developers or your own platforms' success whatsoever??

• rararara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i totally agree. i really want to get into wp8 programming and already got a windows 8 machine, but then goes the problem of not having hyper v in my machine. hours of searching for a free solution, didn't get me anywhere. it only told me that either i pay for an upgrade to windows 8 pro or a dev account to test on my phone.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base