or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Please bring back Visual Basic 6.0 !  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: The silent majority of VB6 users did not ask VB.NET  ·   · 
    BravoBravo shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of VB6  ·   · 
    HMan2828HMan2828 shared a merged idea: Make a new Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of VB6  ·   · 
    Ana-Maria (VB6 software programmer)Ana-Maria (VB6 software programmer) shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic 6.X, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic 6.X, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0  ·   · 
    Marius OrionMarius Orion shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0  ·   · 
    PacManiPacMani shared a merged idea: Close the suggestion to "bring back VB6"  ·   · 
    VB6 FireVB6 Fire shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0 (the old idea has been stoped at 7400 votes for no good reason)  ·   · 
    MeredithMeredith shared a merged idea: Make VB6 Free  ·   · 
    Mike PaulickMike Paulick shared a merged idea: Bring back VB6. I have no interest in .net. VB6 is better for me.  ·   · 
    David KayeDavid Kaye shared a merged idea: Bring back VB 6.0! It's an extremely handy language used on tons of business apps.  ·   · 
    Adam SpeightAdam Speight shared a merged idea: Don't do a Classic VB (VB6). Open Source the VB6 compiler source code.  ·   · 
    VB6 FireVB6 Fire shared a merged idea: Bring back our un-killable cockroach, is ours !  ·   · 
    Nitesh PatelNitesh Patel shared a merged idea: The Old classic visual basic 6.0 bring it back  ·   · 
    I_A_WI_A_W shared a merged idea: Visual Basic 6.0: A giant more powerful than ever  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Full vb6 Compatiablity, dammit  ·   · 
    your nameyour name shared a merged idea: shove .net up your boss's butt. bring me VB6-A already.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Open Source VB 6  ·   · 
    leoleo shared a merged idea: make it easier. In VB6 i don't have to know what classes are. It has been to complicated for simple programms.  ·   · 
    declined  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

We have read all of the comments on this thread and I’d like to thank you for providing your constructive feedback on this issue. Instead of merely repeating our support and migration guidance that has been laid out on http://msdn.com/vbrun, I’d like to address some of your specific comments here.

To play back the feedback themes we’re hearing:
    - VB6 is awesome
    - VB6 needs to be brought forward and maintained: in a new release or OSS

VB6 was and still is without a doubt awesome. VB6 made developers incredibly productive building a breadth of applications and as a result we have a wealth of applications and passionate developers to this day in 2014. One way I see our mission in developer tools is to empower developers to solve problems. This includes both today’s problems AND the problems of tomorrow. VB6, as you all have stated repeatedly in this thread, is an excellent tool for solving the problems of its day. We also stand behind our decision starting in 2002 to meet the current demands of our developers and the industry with .NET. For the scenarios VB6 set out to do, we see VB6 being “complete”. We feel good about VB6 being able to continue maintaining their applications for the past 15 years. Current needs ranging from distributed applications and services, to web applications and services, to devices, to new architectures and languages, required fundamental changes to the whole stack. We looked at how we could accommodate these needs through incremental changes to VB6 while maintaining its essence, and that was not possible.

To address the modern needs we would need to go far beyond updating the language. We have to remember that VB6 is not just a language. VB6 is a language, a runtime, a platform library, a tool/IDE, and an ecosystem tightly packaged together in a way that made all of them work well together. We’ve worked with many customers on migration from VB6 to .NET and found that while yes, there are language changes, the dominating factor in migration difficulties isn’t the language differences. Even open sourcing the language/runtime wouldn’t solve the fact that VB6 was thought for a different set of problems, and the fact that its strength came from the end-to-end solution provided by all these five pieces working together. Take a change like 64bit, the complete runtime, tools and ecosystem chain would need to be retooled.

So, moving forward what can we do? Where we have been able to help move forward is in our stance around support and interoperability. The VB6 runtime it is still a component of the Windows operating system and is a component shipped in Windows 8.1. It will be supported at least through 2024. This ensures your apps and components continue to run as you incrementally move forward to .NET. The support policy is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708. There are numerous interop strategies that we developed and evolved to enable incremental migration as you upgrade your skills, described here: http://msdn.com/vbrun.

In summary, VB6 was awesome. We agree. We don’t expect or demand anyone to throw away their code or rewrite from any of our technologies unless it makes business sense for them to do so. We have to innovate to enable our customers to innovate. It is not a viable option to create a next version of VB6. We stand by our decision to make VB.NET and the .NET Framework. We think they are awesome too. It is not feasible to open source VB6 tools chain and ecosystem. The VB6 runtime was last shipped in Windows 8.1 and will be supported for the lifetime of Windows 8.1. Support and interop are great tools to move forward incrementally.

I hope you feel we’ve listened to your feedback and that I’ve explained things well enough that you understand our decision.

Paul Yuknewicz
    Group Program Manager
    Microsoft Visual Studio Cloud Tools

4173 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Objective observerObjective observer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The team that decided to nix vb6 is singularly responsible of failing Microsoft against Apple and Googles of the world. Developers that were forced to learn new stuff went on to other technologies

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

░ ░A░T░T░E░N░T░I░O░N░
        ╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

IT IS VERY EXCITING TIMES FOR .NET DEVELOPERS

The future for .NET looks very bright indeed. There are a few points that almost ensures that the future belongs to .NET, than any other development platform. The best for VB6 users is STILL to port their applications to .NET.Here are the important and strong points of NET:

1-NET has a huge library capable of doing anything imaginable
        2-NET is now VERY stable after 15 years of development
        3-NET is Open Source now, that means an active developer community will push .NET higher
        4-NET is more and more crossplatform. Soon with NET anybody can write applications for any device and OS.
        5-NET Core is a wonderful idea along with NET Native, which will produce native applications all using NET Framework.
        6-NET has unbeatable technologies like WPF and WCF. These technologies are here to stay for sure albeit there may be name changes or advancements based on the same technologies. WPF is actively developed as we speak. XAML is the future of UI-Code separation
        7-NET is becoming superior to Java every day. There are much more into NET than any framework.
        8-NET has a superb support and a huge community (6 million users) and thousands of forums
        9-There are many libraries to facilitate NET development. Unity,Entity,Prism,Enterprise library are a few of them
        etc.etc.etc.
        ╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Martin Higgins Owner of successful business, PhD of Software Eng., Inventor,Scientist comments:

"We started our company which designs high end software solutions in the beginning of 2000s. In those days .NET was new and many people were using VB6. We had to make comparisons to choose our platform. We opted for .NET, as the advantages over VB6 was huge. VB6 seemed to be a toy compared to NET and not to mention .NET.1 was just a fraction of what is .NET today. Glad we made the right choice. Today we have no problem with conversion, advancing and expanding our code and we run a successful business with tens of thousands of clients using our .NET based solutions."

"But none of these things made you write bad code. I worked with VB for a decade and wrote, and saw other people write, plenty of good workable code that did well in production and was supportable and maintainable."

Professional Programmer, Software Engineer, Consultant Rick Ashley comments:

"Once again about writing good and bad code....What is a bad code for you??? What kind of authority do you have to judge a bad code? Did you write any books, articles about coding practices? At least which books did you read about coding methods, practices and standards?

I am a professional coder for over a decade. I can tell you what I know about "good" coding practices and I can tell you one more think that VB6 does NOT allow to write "good" code, because it does NOT have the build-in standards that a modern framework and platform facilitates (i.e .NET). One CAN NOT write a complex business model with VB6 easily and in an organized and modular design, because neither the framework nor the IDE allows you to do so. Yes, people created highly complex business software over many years using VB6, mainly hacking APIs (i.e.using 3rd parties or patching c code or straight calls) thus extending VB6 way beyond the means what it was designed for. Now many of these companies stuck with their legacy code, as it became too complex, impossible to maintain, impossible to expand and impossible to easily convert to .NET. They created a monster code (spaghetti code) with many defects, memory leaks, unmanaged code, or improper error handling.
        This is why the software community needed a framework to alleviate complexities of modern standards, and .NET was born. Thanx to Microsoft. "

Rob Lee talks about the massive advantages of .NET vs. VB6

I'm not trying to debate on the economics of the issue, just the common complaint that MS did all of this to make money from developers. The only mistake MS made was thinking that all VB6 developers wanted a more powerful, first class language (many did, but not all).

It's also not about taking the easy road. My .NET code is far more complex than anything that I was ever able to produce in VB6, or ever would have been able to. The difference is I don't have to worry about silly things like formatting code, or moving controls around a form for different resolutions, I can focus on more important things. Just because something is hard or easy doesn't make it right or wrong. Some of the things that make .NET easier (like inheritance) also help produce better code by producing less, and less replication.

For me, the long and short of all of this is that my .NET programs are faster, leaner, and have a far better feature set than my VB6 versions ever could. This all benefits my end user. And I don't have to resort to hacks to get it to work.

As for comparing community and MS to Google:
        I write in both ecosystems (Android and .NET), and frankly Google is far worse than MS. Android is a monstrous fragmented mess, and Google has lost control of it. They routinely abandon / deprecate things that worked just months ago, and talk about a company that's 100% about money grab, and nothing about community, that's Google.

Just because a portion of the VB6 community didn't migrate, doesn't mean the MS missed the mark. Frankly the C# (and greater .NET community) is massive, and far overshadows any prior MS community

It’s an exciting time for the .NET community!!!!
        ☻۶
        /▌
        / \
        More .NET platform components were released as open source today, including .NET Core 5, and the community has the opportunity to contribute directly to the .NET platform like never before. The .NET Foundation is also opening up new opportunities for community participation and welcoming a variety of new members, as I announced over on the .NET Foundation blog today in my role as a board member of the foundation. Here below is the full text of my post, and I encourage you to check out the new projects on the .NET Foundation project list as well. The future is bright for .NET!

by Gianugo Rabellino

"Converting to VB6" (from what, from .NET?) is an absolutely absurd idea.
        Microsoft should continue to support VB6 (including bugfixes and new functionality) because they told us they would do so, and we believed their word and adopted their tool, that they just dropped for a replacement for which not even themselves have been able to provide a proper conversion tool (so, it is no replacement at all).
        Even with its current bugs and limitations, I might go on working with VB6.
        So they should at least stop those annoying announcements regarding the end of support for the runtime (which they still need for Office) and do their best so as to guarantee that VB6 applications will contiue to run properly on forthcoming versions of the platform.

☻۶
        /▌ ░ ░A░T░T░E░N░T░I░O░N░
        / \
        ☻۶░ ░V░B░6░░I░S░░T░H░E░░ F░U░T ░U░ R░ E░
        /▌
        / \
        ☻۶░ ░C░O░N░V░E░R░T░░T░O░░ .░V░B░6░ !░ !░
        /▌
        / \

None of those products succeeded because of what they were written in, it's because they solved a problem that can be solved with any platform/dev tool.

"The C#.NET based solution helped store managers and product buyers to analyze inventory, sales and store traffic data and increase efficiency."

----this can be done using any database front end written in any language

"Continental Airlines is significantly reducing deployment time"

--sounds like an opinion, they did not co-develop in any other platforms..

"Fidesic Corporation (formerly CheckSpace) exposed the functionality of its online payment processing service using XML Web Services"

--again can be done in any language, even vb6

all that sounds like HYPE... again the dev tool did not produce the success...

@Winston

.NET APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT SUCCESS STORIES

Applications build on .Net Framework has helped many business enterprises reduce cost, save time and coordinate more freely with business channel partners. Read the following success stories to gauge what .NET will do for to your business.

Vir gin Group develops C#.NET based application to improve effectiveness…

By developing a business intelligence solution using Microsoft Windows Server System software with Microsoft C#.NET and .NET Framework, Vir gin Entertainment increased efficiency of its store managers and product buyers. The C#.NET based solution helped store managers and product buyers to analyze inventory, sales and store traffic data and increase efficiency. Using solution based on C#.NET solution, Vir gin Entertainment Group is expected to increase revenue by $1.8 million per year.
        read more...

Continental Airlines builds .NET-based mobile travel-planning application

By developing a new mobile travel-planning application using the Microsoft .NET Framework and Visual Studio .NET, Continental Airlines is significantly reducing deployment time, eliminating the overhead of tightly coupled remote-procedure-call implementation, ensuring rapid and flexible scalability, and providing transparent interoperability with host systems. Moreover, with the .NET Framework and Visual Studio .NET, developers envision an entirely new approach to creating and updating applications in the future.
        read more...

Fidesic Lowers Integration Time and Costs, Accelerates Partnership Revenues with XML Web Services

To maximize its ability to grow and meet the needs of a variety of customers, Fidesic Corporation (formerly CheckSpace) exposed the functionality of its online payment processing service using XML Web Services. This enabled Fidesic to reduce the time and effort associated with integrating new business partners, resulting in lower development costs and the ability to realize new revenues sources sooner.

Fidesic also used XML Web Services to integrate with the small-business portals and traditional desktop applications used by its customers. This made Fidesic makes its customers realize the benefits of electronic payment without making them learn new application or change the form of conducting business.
        read more...

7-Eleven upgraded its Vendor Terminal System (VTS) using Visual Studio .NET and Microsoft .NET Framework…

7-Eleven, the leader in convenience retailing, wanted to upgrade its Vendor Terminal System or VTS, an important part of its backend operations. It wanted to give its existing and new vendors easy access to VTS thereby providing better service to the stores being supplied by 7-Eleven. Using web VTS by Microsoft, it’s now possible for 7-Eleven to include larger number of existing and new vendors on board within the minimum time and help increase its profitability.

The upgraded version deployed by 7-Eleven called Web VTS, developed using Microsoft Visual Studio® .NET and the .NET Framework, allows vendors to securely access information through Internet. The vendor can also get a daily printable report in HTML form without requiring any specific client-based tools. The resulting benefits include improved development environment, quicker time to market, enhanced features and a more cost-effective strategy.
        read more...

****** Group develops C#.NET based application to improve effectiveness…

By developing a business intelligence solution using Microsoft Windows Server System software with Microsoft C#.NET and .NET Framework, ****** Entertainment increased efficiency of its store managers and product buyers. The C#.NET based solution helped store managers and product buyers to analyze inventory, sales and store traffic data and increase efficiency. Using solution based on C#.NET solution, ****** Entertainment Group is expected to increase revenue by $1.8 million per year.
        read more...

If you need to know more success stories, See the full list of .NET case studies on Microsoft's web site

MachroTech can help your company be one such success story. Contact Us for further details or talk about the business specific requirements

name one product that won market share just because of the software design/tools used? Most products succeed because of the problem it solves for the customers, not which technology is used. Again, Facebook did not win market share because it used procedural software methodology, it won because of the problem it solved for its customers.

Those of you who insult the tool will have a VERY HARD TIME succeeding in anything you try to market, but your are excellent employees.

VB6 allows visionaries with limited technical knowledge to create software solutions and companies.

If you dis-agree show me one product that was successful just because it was written in .NET

• The VB6 manThe VB6 man commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And finally, a salute to the two VB.NET programmers forming the great VB.NET community:

________________$$$$
        ______________$$____$$
        ______________$$____$$
        ______________$$____$$
        ______________$$____$$
        ______________$$____$$
        __________$$$$$$____$$$$$$
        ________$$____$$____$$____$$$$
        ________$$____$$____$$____$$__$$
        $$$$$$__$$____$$____$$____$$____$$
        $$____$$$$________________$$____$$
        $$______$$______________________$$
        __$$____$$______________________$$
        ___$$$__$$__________VB6_________$$
        ____$$__________________________$$
        _____$$$________________________$$
        ______$$______________________$$$
        _______$$$____________________$$
        ________$$____________________$$
        _________$$$________________$$$
        __________$$________________$$
        __________$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

..._„„„„¸_...…………………………._¸„„„„_
        ./'.……¯'*~--„…….…………...„--~*'¯…….'\
        Ì'ì\,.…_¸„--~~-„)…………… („-~~--„¸_….,/ì'Ì
        ...'\¯"¯-¸: : : : : ¯"^-„¸….¸„-^"¯ : : : : :¸-¯"¯/'...
        …"-,„„¸/' : : : : : : : ¸„„-^"¯ : : : : : : : '\¸„„,-"......
        **¯¯¯'^^~-„„„----~^*'"¯ : : : : : : : : : :¸-"..........
        .:.:.:.:.„-^" : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :„-" "^-„.:.:.:.:.
        :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.: : : : : : : : : : ¸„-^¯:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:
        .::.:.:.:.:.:.:.:. : : : : : : : ¸„„-^¯ : : : : .:.:.:.:.:.:.:.::.
        :.' : : '\ : : : : : : : ;¸„„-~"¯~-„„¸; : : : : : : : \' : : '.:
        :.:.:: :"-„""***/*'ì¸'¯. . . . . . . . ¯'¸ì'*\***""„-": ::.:.:
        :.': : : : :"-„ : : :"\ . .Brothers. . /": : : „-": : : : :'.:
        .:.:.: : : : :" : : : : \, . . .In . . . ,/ : : : : ": : : : :.:.:.
        : : : : : : :, : : : : :/ . VB.NET. \: : : : : :,: : : : : :

………….……………………. „-/*"\„,„,
        …….…………………….¸„-^"¯ :\_ / o '"*'"¯/' WOOF WOOF
        ……………………¸„„-^"¯ : : : : : : : : ¸„,-~"
        **¯¯¯'^^~-„„„----~^*'"¯ : : : : : : : : : :¸-"
        .:.:.:.:.„-^" : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :- VB6 PEOPLE ! GIVE THIS CUTE DOG
        :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.: : : : : : : : : : ¸„-^¯ TO THE .NET PEOPLE ! TO SHOW
        .::.:.:.:.:.:.:.:. : : : : : : : ¸„„-^¯ THAT WE HAVE CONVERTED TO .NET !
        :.' : : '\ : : : : : : : ;¸„„-~"¯
        :.:.:: :"-„""***/*'ì¸'¯
        :.': : : : :"-„ : : :"\
        .:.:.: : : : :" : : : : \,
        :.: : : : : : : : : : : : 'Ì
        : : : : : : :, : : : : : :/
        "-„_::::_„-*__„„~"

☻۶
        /▌ ░ ░A░T░T░E░N░T░I░O░N░
        / \
        /▌
        / \
        ☻۶░ ░C░O░N░V░E░R░T░░T░O░░ .░V░B░6░ !░ !░
        /▌
        / \
        /▌
        / \
        /▌
        / \
        /▌
        / \
        /▌
        / \

…………..............…VB.NET
        …………………...- *" \ - "::*'\
        ………………„-^*'' : : „'' : : : :: *„
        …………..„-* : : :„„--/ : : : : : : : '\
        …………./ : : „-* . .| : : : : : : : : '|
        ……….../ : „-* . . . | : : : : : : : : |
        ………...\„-* . . . . .| : : : : : : : :'|
        ……….../ . . . . . . '| : : : : : : : :|
        ……..../ . . . . . . . .'\ : : : : : : : |
        ……../ . . . . . . . . . .\ : : : : : : :|
        ……./ . . . . . . . . . . . '\ : : : : : /
        ….../ . . . . . . . . . . . . . *-„„„„-*'
        ….'/ . . V . . . . . . . . . . . '|
        …/ . . . .I. . . ./ . . . . . . .|
        ../ . . . .S. . . .'/ . . . . . . .'|
        ./ . . . . .U. . . / . . . . . . .'|
        '/ . . B . . A . . . . . . . . . .'|
        '| . . .A. . \L. . . . . . . . . .|
        '| . . . S . . \„_^- „ . . . . .'|
        '| . . . .I. . . . .'\ .\ ./ '/ . |
        | .\ . . . C . . . . . \ .'' / . '|
        | . . . . . . . . . . / .'/ . . .|
        | . . . . . .6.| . . / ./ ./ . .|
        '| . . . . . ..0 . .'\ .\ ./ '/ . |
        | .\ . . . . . . . . . \ .'' / . '|
        | . . . . . . .| . . / ./ ./ . .|
        '| . . . . . . . . .'\ .\ ./ '/ . |
        | .\ . . . . . . . . . \ .'' / . '|
        | . . . . . . .| . . / ./ ./ . .|
        '| . . . . . . . . .'\ .\ ./ '/ . |

• TunarTunar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"CONVERT YOUR VB6 TO .NET"

you have to be smart to make your own .NET codes, not to beg for code conversion from the VB6 community !

Make your own software, don't beg for VB6 code!

Bring Back VB6 !

← Previous 1 3 4 5 208 209

Feedback and Knowledge Base