or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    BravoBravo shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of VB6  ·   · 
    HMan2828HMan2828 shared a merged idea: Make a new Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of VB6  ·   · 
    Ana-Maria (VB6 software programmer)Ana-Maria (VB6 software programmer) shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic 6.X, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic 6.X, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0  ·   · 
    Marius OrionMarius Orion shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0  ·   · 
    VB6 FireVB6 Fire shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0 (the old idea has been stoped at 7400 votes for no good reason)  ·   · 
    MeredithMeredith shared a merged idea: Make VB6 Free  ·   · 
    Mike PaulickMike Paulick shared a merged idea: Bring back VB6. I have no interest in .net. VB6 is better for me.  ·   · 
    David KayeDavid Kaye shared a merged idea: Bring back VB 6.0! It's an extremely handy language used on tons of business apps.  ·   · 
    Adam SpeightAdam Speight shared a merged idea: Don't do a Classic VB (VB6). Open Source the VB6 compiler source code.  ·   · 
    VB6 FireVB6 Fire shared a merged idea: Bring back our un-killable cockroach, is ours !  ·   · 
    Nitesh PatelNitesh Patel shared a merged idea: The Old classic visual basic 6.0 bring it back  ·   · 
    I_A_WI_A_W shared a merged idea: Visual Basic 6.0: A giant more powerful than ever  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Full vb6 Compatiablity, dammit  ·   · 
    your nameyour name shared a merged idea: shove .net up your boss's butt. bring me VB6-A already.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Open Source VB 6  ·   · 
    declined  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

We have read all of the comments on this thread and I’d like to thank you for providing your constructive feedback on this issue. Instead of merely repeating our support and migration guidance that has been laid out on http://msdn.com/vbrun, I’d like to address some of your specific comments here.

To play back the feedback themes we’re hearing:
    - VB6 is awesome
    - VB6 needs to be brought forward and maintained: in a new release or OSS

VB6 was and still is without a doubt awesome. VB6 made developers incredibly productive building a breadth of applications and as a result we have a wealth of applications and passionate developers to this day in 2014. One way I see our mission in developer tools is to empower developers to solve problems. This includes both today’s problems AND the problems of tomorrow. VB6, as you all have stated repeatedly in this thread, is an excellent tool for solving the problems of its day. We also stand behind our decision starting in 2002 to meet the current demands of our developers and the industry with .NET. For the scenarios VB6 set out to do, we see VB6 being “complete”. We feel good about VB6 being able to continue maintaining their applications for the past 15 years. Current needs ranging from distributed applications and services, to web applications and services, to devices, to new architectures and languages, required fundamental changes to the whole stack. We looked at how we could accommodate these needs through incremental changes to VB6 while maintaining its essence, and that was not possible.

To address the modern needs we would need to go far beyond updating the language. We have to remember that VB6 is not just a language. VB6 is a language, a runtime, a platform library, a tool/IDE, and an ecosystem tightly packaged together in a way that made all of them work well together. We’ve worked with many customers on migration from VB6 to .NET and found that while yes, there are language changes, the dominating factor in migration difficulties isn’t the language differences. Even open sourcing the language/runtime wouldn’t solve the fact that VB6 was thought for a different set of problems, and the fact that its strength came from the end-to-end solution provided by all these five pieces working together. Take a change like 64bit, the complete runtime, tools and ecosystem chain would need to be retooled.

So, moving forward what can we do? Where we have been able to help move forward is in our stance around support and interoperability. The VB6 runtime it is still a component of the Windows operating system and is a component shipped in Windows 8.1. It will be supported at least through 2024. This ensures your apps and components continue to run as you incrementally move forward to .NET. The support policy is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708. There are numerous interop strategies that we developed and evolved to enable incremental migration as you upgrade your skills, described here: http://msdn.com/vbrun.

In summary, VB6 was awesome. We agree. We don’t expect or demand anyone to throw away their code or rewrite from any of our technologies unless it makes business sense for them to do so. We have to innovate to enable our customers to innovate. It is not a viable option to create a next version of VB6. We stand by our decision to make VB.NET and the .NET Framework. We think they are awesome too. It is not feasible to open source VB6 tools chain and ecosystem. The VB6 runtime was last shipped in Windows 8.1 and will be supported for the lifetime of Windows 8.1. Support and interop are great tools to move forward incrementally.

I hope you feel we’ve listened to your feedback and that I’ve explained things well enough that you understand our decision.

Paul Yuknewicz
    Group Program Manager
    Microsoft Visual Studio Cloud Tools

3324 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ShaggyShaggy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's fine. From some of the comments on here, I was under the impression that there were a few who thought that ALL Anonymous posts were by the same guy. If people are checking the email address then that isn't an issue.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

>> One thing that may need clarification: Anonymous is not a single person the way Sten, HMan, Michael, and others are. Anonymous is a generic name for the nameless. It isn't clear to me that some of the people on here are aware of that.

If you're talking about Anonymous below who spam this thread with .NET junk, then you're not right. He always posts with same e-mail address and therefore can be recognized if you go to see all of his comments.

• ShaggyShaggy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One thing that may need clarification: Anonymous is not a single person the way Sten, HMan, Michael, and others are. Anonymous is a generic name for the nameless. It isn't clear to me that some of the people on here are aware of that.

WE ARE BOTH THE SAME!

The Visual Studio User Voice Forum on bringing back vb6 has a constant pulse of .NET proponents / vb6 haters. And just like we fight to bring back support for VB6 they would like to have VB6 killed. They constantly attempt to degrade all who use vb6 and claim that .NET is the answer to our dilemma.

Here is the very funny thing, the fact that they are there fighting to kill vb6, is exactly the same as the fact that we are there fighting for vb6. If they were different than us, they would not comment on the forum, but since they are just as passionate about .NET as we are about vb6, they are doing exactly what we are.

So we are both passionate about our language of choice, we should be happy we are passionate about something, unlike many people who just live life with no purpose or passion.

Good Day!

• Sten2005 - vote for VB6 programmingSten2005 - vote for VB6 programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous

"First of all you should have known that both c# and vb is .NET (obviously you have no clue what .NET is)."
        Desperate, just desperate. But if you think this comment has added to the sum of human knowledge just keep on spending your time educating us.

"I have never used vb.net"
        And you think we are surprised ?

Period. End of Story ! LOL

@sten

First of all you should have known that both c# and vb is .NET (obviously you have no clue what .NET is). In .NET they are both working on top of CIL. (Go and educate yourself first, I don’t have time to give you free education).
        I have never used vb.net because I use C# and phyton (for dynamic aspects) for my pro business applications. Secondly,that link does not bash .NET (I don't know where you got this idea, but you are an expert in nonsense).
        Thirdly, my point was that while NET is being used 7.8% (mostly LOB applications, in which the NET percentage is quite high) among all kinds of applications i.e web design, game software, handheld devices, non window platforms, business etc.
        And lastly, vb6 is NOT on the chart, meaning NOBODY is using it. That's the IMPORTANT point.
        Having said that lately I have noticed that there are only a handful of people on the internet (including yourself) writing the virtues of VB6 all over in internet forums. As I said the fight to bring back VB6 is really hopeless and in fact pathetic. There are very few followers left, that's for sure. Most of the reasonable and professional programmers moved over to NET and other paltforms already. Only a few office workers (like yourself) left over, who wants MS to spend millions of dollars in order to save your floppy disk distributable shareware program businesses originating from the 90s. That is really funny. LOL…
        BTW the over 10k votes we see here in this uservoice is only the result of merging all the similar uservoice forums created by vb6 spamsters like you. On top of that I think many of you have used different IPs to vote multiple times. I have no doubt about it, as we never see 10 thousand different people commenting here. Only you and some other vb6 fundamentalists. That’s all.
        As I said your cause was hopeless, it became pathetic and now it is ridiculous and even more pitiful.

• Sten2005 - vote for VB6 programmingSten2005 - vote for VB6 programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous

"Before it was: VB6 is the best language ever. Bring it back or open source it "

This is a VB6 programming thread.
        But if you make .Net bashing posts, such as your link
        http://www.devsaran.com/blog/10-best-programming-languages-2015-you-should-know
        which shows that VB.Net has only .04% and C# has only 7.4%, don't be surprised when you receive a reply.
        And when you go on to say you use Python and don't use VB.Net, again don't be surprised when this is highlighted.

Best of all you could make posts about VB6 programming.

Before it was: VB6 is the best language ever. Bring it back or open source it
        Nowadays the argument is: Java,PHP,Python are the best languages and .NET is bad.

Who really lost? You people stopped defending VB6 altogether and this forum turned into a .NET bashing platform. BTW, why you folks are still trolling here? MS clearly declined your request and said NO! So respect the decision and just leave. What is the point of hiding behind other currently popular languages and using them to belittle .NET. It won't make VB6 look better for sure...

@Anonymous

Reverted back to type, Anonymous ?

After a couple of almost sensible posts you resort to your old 'office clown, amateur hobbyist, LOL' style of post.

You forgot to add 'toy, Period, End of Story !'

Have you realized that you only resort to this style when you recognize that you have lost the argument ?

LOL

@sten Using VBA programming for business software?? Proof that you are an office clown, an amateur hobbyist...LOL

• JillSJillS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous dont need logic. You can replace @Anonymous with @illogicalTrollPostHere

@Anonymous

"Very soon, .NET will be the only platform to meet the needs of each and every coder. "

So what logic are you using to reach this conclusion ? Even Microsoft recommends the use of JavaScript and C++

@Anonymous

What’s the Best Programming Language to Learn in 2015?
        http://www.sitepoint.com/whats-best-programming-language-learn-2015/

"those languages are good for web developers"
        Except that is not just web languages. It includes Java, C, Objective C and C#

But it is clear that the languages to learn for the future aren't .Net languages.
        The top five languages are:

Java
        JavaScript
        PHP
        Python
        C / C++

And the link you posted earlier
        http://www.devsaran.com/blog/10-best-programming-languages-2015-you-should-know

backs this up, with VB.Net on just 0.4% and C# on just 7.4%
        Your link lists the top 5 languages as:

Java
        PHP
        JavaScript
        Python
        Objective-C

@Anonymous

Perhaps one day you may add English to the 3 languages you claim to be able to speak.

Until then I'll try again to explain to you that when I say I use VB6 for desktop applications it means that I use VB6 programming for what it has always been best at - writing desktop applications.

I used also to use VB.Net (but I can't see I'll ever write anything new in it anymore, I just use it to maintain legacy VB.Net applications).

And I use JavaScript for webbrowser applications.

And C++ for anything the others can't handle.

So is that clear enough for you? I use VB6, JavaScript and C++.
        And also VB.Net, though I intend to replace these apps in the next 2 or 3 years.

Oh, and also some VBA programming, but since this is the same as VB6 I can hardly count this.

those languages are good for web developers. For comprehensive line of business software you need something powerful such as .NET. Very soon, .NET will be the only platform to meet the needs of each and every coder. Start learning it now! It is free and open-source. What do you lose?

@Sten

It is refreshing to see that you put VB6 aside. At least some progress there. Your next step should be to inquire .NET.
        .NET is open source now with free VS Pro for free (VS2013 Community). Besides, .NET Core is coming along with Native, with cross platform and cloud integration. I guess .NET will be the best choice for pro-coders in the very near future. It is the most comprehensive pro platform far ahead of Javascript. Besides, Visual Studio is supporting Python scripts, Xamarin (for cross-paltform). VS2015 will be even more advanced. I would suggest everyone that it is time to jump on .NET now, as it will get only better.

Please read:
        http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bethmassi/archive/2015/02/25/understanding-net-2015.aspx

@ml

is an interesting article.

I consider it supports my own thoughts. That if you are using an old Microsoft language, whether it is the VB6 programming language, or VB.Net or C#, there is no point in migrating - least of all to another Microsoft language.

Instead, you should stay with the language you are using where it is relevant (that is for desktop applications). But you should also look to the future. And this is increasingly Web and Mobile and maybe Cloud. For these you still have a choice of desktop or browser (thick or thin), but the line between these is blurring (hybrid applications).

For me the choice is JavaScript/HTML5. Industry standard, non-proprietary and, when coupled with other tools such as Node.js and PhoneGap can meet a range of requirements.

And for 'old fashioned' desktop applications I use VB6, plus VB.Net (to maintain legacy .Net applications) and C++.

• FramatoFramato commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ml

Great Dan Gillmor..... he centered the question !!
        Freedom, freedom of choice, the code gotta do what the programmer expects !!
        There should be no interpreters or filters between what one wants to do and what the machine needs to do. I understand that some people may think that this is dangerous, but it is more dangerous the TOTAL CONTROL!

• Ready for youReady for you commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"I think that .NET is going to be with us for a long time" -possibly, but, with that strategy Microsoft starts to become an insignificant player in future. Remember, VB6 led Microsoft in to the top immediately. On the other hand VB .NET strategy did not convinced anyone even after 16 years ... but VB6 still is/will be !

← Previous 1 3 4 5 166 167

Feedback and Knowledge Base