or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dr. Mihai Bush, PhD (MPV)Dr. Mihai Bush, PhD (MPV) shared a merged idea: Make Visual Basic 6 as a part of Windows (by default)  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Please bring back Visual Basic 6.0 !  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: The silent majority of VB6 users did not ask VB.NET  ·   · 
    MaryMary shared a merged idea: Merge the core of VB6 into Office or the Windows OS.  ·   · 
    BravoBravo shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of VB6  ·   · 
    HMan2828HMan2828 shared a merged idea: Make a new Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of VB6  ·   · 
    Ana-Maria (VB6 software programmer)Ana-Maria (VB6 software programmer) shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic 6.X, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic 6.X, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0  ·   · 
    Marius OrionMarius Orion shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0  ·   · 
    PacManiPacMani shared a merged idea: Close the suggestion to "bring back VB6"  ·   · 
    VB6 FireVB6 Fire shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0 (the old idea has been stoped at 7400 votes for no good reason)  ·   · 
    MeredithMeredith shared a merged idea: Make VB6 Free  ·   · 
    Mike PaulickMike Paulick shared a merged idea: Bring back VB6. I have no interest in .net. VB6 is better for me.  ·   · 
    David KayeDavid Kaye shared a merged idea: Bring back VB 6.0! It's an extremely handy language used on tons of business apps.  ·   · 
    Adam SpeightAdam Speight shared a merged idea: Don't do a Classic VB (VB6). Open Source the VB6 compiler source code.  ·   · 
    VB6 FireVB6 Fire shared a merged idea: Bring back our un-killable cockroach, is ours !  ·   · 
    Nitesh PatelNitesh Patel shared a merged idea: The Old classic visual basic 6.0 bring it back  ·   · 
    I_A_WI_A_W shared a merged idea: Visual Basic 6.0: A giant more powerful than ever  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Full vb6 Compatiablity, dammit  ·   · 
    your nameyour name shared a merged idea: shove .net up your boss's butt. bring me VB6-A already.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Open Source VB 6  ·   · 
    leoleo shared a merged idea: make it easier. In VB6 i don't have to know what classes are. It has been to complicated for simple programms.  ·   · 
    declined  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

We have read all of the comments on this thread and I’d like to thank you for providing your constructive feedback on this issue. Instead of merely repeating our support and migration guidance that has been laid out on http://msdn.com/vbrun, I’d like to address some of your specific comments here.

To play back the feedback themes we’re hearing:
    - VB6 is awesome
    - VB6 needs to be brought forward and maintained: in a new release or OSS

VB6 was and still is without a doubt awesome. VB6 made developers incredibly productive building a breadth of applications and as a result we have a wealth of applications and passionate developers to this day in 2014. One way I see our mission in developer tools is to empower developers to solve problems. This includes both today’s problems AND the problems of tomorrow. VB6, as you all have stated repeatedly in this thread, is an excellent tool for solving the problems of its day. We also stand behind our decision starting in 2002 to meet the current demands of our developers and the industry with .NET. For the scenarios VB6 set out to do, we see VB6 being “complete”. We feel good about VB6 being able to continue maintaining their applications for the past 15 years. Current needs ranging from distributed applications and services, to web applications and services, to devices, to new architectures and languages, required fundamental changes to the whole stack. We looked at how we could accommodate these needs through incremental changes to VB6 while maintaining its essence, and that was not possible.

To address the modern needs we would need to go far beyond updating the language. We have to remember that VB6 is not just a language. VB6 is a language, a runtime, a platform library, a tool/IDE, and an ecosystem tightly packaged together in a way that made all of them work well together. We’ve worked with many customers on migration from VB6 to .NET and found that while yes, there are language changes, the dominating factor in migration difficulties isn’t the language differences. Even open sourcing the language/runtime wouldn’t solve the fact that VB6 was thought for a different set of problems, and the fact that its strength came from the end-to-end solution provided by all these five pieces working together. Take a change like 64bit, the complete runtime, tools and ecosystem chain would need to be retooled.

So, moving forward what can we do? Where we have been able to help move forward is in our stance around support and interoperability. The VB6 runtime it is still a component of the Windows operating system and is a component shipped in Windows 8.1. It will be supported at least through 2024. This ensures your apps and components continue to run as you incrementally move forward to .NET. The support policy is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708. There are numerous interop strategies that we developed and evolved to enable incremental migration as you upgrade your skills, described here: http://msdn.com/vbrun.

In summary, VB6 was awesome. We agree. We don’t expect or demand anyone to throw away their code or rewrite from any of our technologies unless it makes business sense for them to do so. We have to innovate to enable our customers to innovate. It is not a viable option to create a next version of VB6. We stand by our decision to make VB.NET and the .NET Framework. We think they are awesome too. It is not feasible to open source VB6 tools chain and ecosystem. The VB6 runtime was last shipped in Windows 8.1 and will be supported for the lifetime of Windows 8.1. Support and interop are great tools to move forward incrementally.

I hope you feel we’ve listened to your feedback and that I’ve explained things well enough that you understand our decision.

Paul Yuknewicz
    Group Program Manager
    Microsoft Visual Studio Cloud Tools

4598 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • axisdjaxisdj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

normally when software changes a major version number, like version 8 to 10, there are major changes in the code behind the software. The assumption I am making is that if Windows will not be revved to the next version there is a much less likelihood that the underlying win32 system ( the skeleton of Windows, and the reason vb6 still works) will change.

There is a possibility that MS comes out with a whole new OS, and leave the Windows 32 to die, but it seems l\unlikely, since the success of any and all OS depends on the app available for that OS.

So yes we won't say t\for sure that vb6 will live forever, but the likelihood that win32 in windows is taken out thereby killing VB6 functionality is very unlikely.

• Grant SwingerGrant Swinger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let's not get carried away here. Microsoft has not guaranteed that VB6 is "forever". They said that the runtime (and only the runtime) will continue to work in the current version of Windows 10. That's five years of mainstream support and five of extended. They don't support the IDE or any third party controls and if they're broken by future updates Microsoft won't fix them.

In other words, if your application only uses the runtime you have some breathing space. If it needs more than that you're in uncharted territory.

• EdEd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Hman VB6 is so dead that MS have guaranteed it will work forever. You should take up your disgruntlement with them not us.

No MS is not currently in active VB6 development. There is no support for newly developed components\widgets. MS does fully support VB6 to the degree that they guarantee it works. GUARANTEE. That IS a statement of support. You see what you want to see.

Support: to bear or hold up (a load, mass, structure, part, etc.); serve as a foundation for. 2. to sustain or withstand (weight, pressure, strain, etc.) without giving way;

Only a troll could misinterpret what support means.

Perhaps VB6 apps are guaranteed to work on every modern version of Windows because it is "everyone's favorite runtime".

• Mihaela HartmanMihaela Hartman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@HMan

You really have no shame ?! everyone sees that you have written hundreds of anti VB6 comments alone, with this nickname or others ! you are realy so insane ?!

• NigitNigit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@HMan

"insecure apps"

are you a m.o.r.o.n ? VB6 creates the safest apps !

"You choose not to evolve"

oh, VB6 evolved, but not thanks to MS !

and yes, VB.NET is dead ... it is brought up exclusively by paid trolls, employed by Visual Studio at MS.

• HManHMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@MichaelE

""It just works." is a solid statement of support"

No, support means if you have a problem Microsoft will support you. That is CLEARLY not the case. If you have an issue now, or anytime in the future, you are on your own. So, yes, it does work for now, because they did not modify or deprecate any of the APIs necessary for the runtime to function. That does not mean they won't in the future. It also does not mean some of the outdated third party controls you use in your apps won't stop working eventually.

@Winston

I really couldn't care less, but I am indeed a little sad that we will have to endure your (not yours personally, but VB6 at large) ****** outdated and insecure apps for longer than we should have to. You choose not to evolve, but by doing so you also condemn yourself, and all your customers (and the industry at large) to inaction and decrepitude. That might work short term, but your customers will get tired of the same ugly UI eventually, and you will have no upgrade path then. As far as living forever, Windows 10 is the last major version, that doesn't mean Windows 10 in 10 years will look or function the same as it does today. Some API necessary for your app to work might disappear tomorrow or next year.

The VB6 topic, just as VB6 itself, is deader than a dead horse in the desert. No comment of mine will change that, thankfully.

• axisdjaxisdj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows 10 = lastVersionOfWindows

If Windows10.Vb6.app.run then
        Vb6LivesForLifeOfWindows = True
        HManSad = True
        Else:
        HManSad = False
        End if

• MichaelEMichaelE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@hman "It just works." is a solid statement of support. MS state clearly "it will work"! As opposed to it not working. Is there any software you create where you cannot state "it will work"?

@hman as you know many companies dont to see the value in upgrading software that works with 100% reliability on all their systems and is guaranteed to work through the Windows 10 lifetime. Also VB6 to .Net is a significant $$$ as opposed to earlier proven methods Lisa mentions.

@hman thanks again for keeping the VB6 topic more alive than ever.

Thanks!

• HManHMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"If VB6, being "everyone's favorite runtime" is supported on Windows 10"

It's NOT supported. It just works.

"would it not be easier to support if it was updated (64-bit)"

How would it be easier? They would have to rewrite an IDE, a compiler, and a whole runtime. As well as modify the language to support 64-bits types. And for what? What would you do with a 64-bits version of VB6 that you cannot do right now?

"I think it is obvious one reason Windows 10 supports VB6 was not to disrupt the sizable install base of VB6 applications."

I think it was just sheer luck that they didn't have to modify any of the API's used by the VB6 runtime.

"this sizable install base cannot move to .Net"

You CAN, you just don't WANT to.

" If a 64-bit version were created and the ease to upgrade was the same as other proven upgrade paths (VB3 to VB4, VB4 to VB5, VB5 to VB6) then you stand to make $$$ on the new version AND reduce your overhead as 64-bit is now the norm."

I don't think you understand how development cycles work... How would more work result in less overhead?

"Most in here dont need third party VB6 controls and thus would have no issue upgrading."

That's just false. Most (if not ALL) commercially used applications do use third party controls, that is the main reason they cannot easily upgrade to .NET.

• LisaELisaE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft I'd like to point something out to you. If VB6, being "everyone's favorite runtime" is supported on Windows 10, would it not be easier to support if it was updated (64-bit)?

Of course 32-bit apps would need to be updated\supported (initially - read on).

I think it is obvious one reason Windows 10 supports VB6 was not to disrupt the sizable install base of VB6 applications. Thus better PR for Windows 10.

MS consider this please: this sizable install base cannot move to .Net or already would have. If a 64-bit version were created and the ease to upgrade was the same as other proven upgrade paths (VB3 to VB4, VB4 to VB5, VB5 to VB6) then you stand to make $$$ on the new version AND reduce your overhead as 64-bit is now the norm.

Most in here dont need third party VB6 controls and thus would have no issue upgrading.

MS thanks for considering this.

• NigitNigit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

more than 22 open source programming languages were made in Visual Basic 6.0.

• EdwardEdward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

>> I agree with Chuck, this will be right time to bring it back!

I agree too. A sound business case can be made from Chuck's statement. Brilliant!

• ChuckChuck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lots of folks wonder why MS moved away from VB6 (or as they say moved on). I think the decision was partnered with the profession of programming. VB from beginning to VB6 made windows programming accessible to almost anyone. Not toss away programs but science and business all the way up to corporate and industrial type programs. A VB6 programmer didn't have to be a computer science graduate or have any MS programming certificates to make a living coding real world money making apps. In fact VB6 enabled the client to also be the programmer. A tool like that was clearly a threat to the programming community. MS would rather relegate "anyone programming" to useless programming using SmallBasic.

All I read currently is how MS needs a win for Windows 10 and for that they need a large user base to (thus the free upgrade) to inspire developers to make programs for Windows 10. I think MS fails to realize what made Windows great (in in many cases indispensable) in the past (and even now) was the vast world wide use of VB6 and the many "novice" and professionals programming windows apps because of not only the RAD but the ability to scale from RAD all in the same VB6 IDE.

MS needs an active novice to professional development platform again and it would do well to bring back VB6 with some enhancements to work in 64bit and with the new OS 7-10.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 229 230

Feedback and Knowledge Base