or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dr. Mihai Bush, PhD (MPV)Dr. Mihai Bush, PhD (MPV) shared a merged idea: Make Visual Basic 6 as a part of Windows (by default)  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Please bring back Visual Basic 6.0 !  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: The silent majority of VB6 users did not ask VB.NET  ·   · 
    MaryMary shared a merged idea: Merge the core of VB6 into Office or the Windows OS.  ·   · 
    BravoBravo shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of VB6  ·   · 
    HMan2828HMan2828 shared a merged idea: Make a new Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of VB6  ·   · 
    Ana-Maria (VB6 software programmer)Ana-Maria (VB6 software programmer) shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic 6.X, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic 6.X, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0  ·   · 
    Marius OrionMarius Orion shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0  ·   · 
    PacManiPacMani shared a merged idea: Close the suggestion to "bring back VB6"  ·   · 
    VB6 FireVB6 Fire shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0 (the old idea has been stoped at 7400 votes for no good reason)  ·   · 
    MeredithMeredith shared a merged idea: Make VB6 Free  ·   · 
    Mike PaulickMike Paulick shared a merged idea: Bring back VB6. I have no interest in .net. VB6 is better for me.  ·   · 
    David KayeDavid Kaye shared a merged idea: Bring back VB 6.0! It's an extremely handy language used on tons of business apps.  ·   · 
    Adam SpeightAdam Speight shared a merged idea: Don't do a Classic VB (VB6). Open Source the VB6 compiler source code.  ·   · 
    VB6 FireVB6 Fire shared a merged idea: Bring back our un-killable cockroach, is ours !  ·   · 
    Nitesh PatelNitesh Patel shared a merged idea: The Old classic visual basic 6.0 bring it back  ·   · 
    I_A_WI_A_W shared a merged idea: Visual Basic 6.0: A giant more powerful than ever  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Full vb6 Compatiablity, dammit  ·   · 
    your nameyour name shared a merged idea: shove .net up your boss's butt. bring me VB6-A already.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Open Source VB 6  ·   · 
    leoleo shared a merged idea: make it easier. In VB6 i don't have to know what classes are. It has been to complicated for simple programms.  ·   · 
    declined  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

We have read all of the comments on this thread and I’d like to thank you for providing your constructive feedback on this issue. Instead of merely repeating our support and migration guidance that has been laid out on http://msdn.com/vbrun, I’d like to address some of your specific comments here.

To play back the feedback themes we’re hearing:
    - VB6 is awesome
    - VB6 needs to be brought forward and maintained: in a new release or OSS

VB6 was and still is without a doubt awesome. VB6 made developers incredibly productive building a breadth of applications and as a result we have a wealth of applications and passionate developers to this day in 2014. One way I see our mission in developer tools is to empower developers to solve problems. This includes both today’s problems AND the problems of tomorrow. VB6, as you all have stated repeatedly in this thread, is an excellent tool for solving the problems of its day. We also stand behind our decision starting in 2002 to meet the current demands of our developers and the industry with .NET. For the scenarios VB6 set out to do, we see VB6 being “complete”. We feel good about VB6 being able to continue maintaining their applications for the past 15 years. Current needs ranging from distributed applications and services, to web applications and services, to devices, to new architectures and languages, required fundamental changes to the whole stack. We looked at how we could accommodate these needs through incremental changes to VB6 while maintaining its essence, and that was not possible.

To address the modern needs we would need to go far beyond updating the language. We have to remember that VB6 is not just a language. VB6 is a language, a runtime, a platform library, a tool/IDE, and an ecosystem tightly packaged together in a way that made all of them work well together. We’ve worked with many customers on migration from VB6 to .NET and found that while yes, there are language changes, the dominating factor in migration difficulties isn’t the language differences. Even open sourcing the language/runtime wouldn’t solve the fact that VB6 was thought for a different set of problems, and the fact that its strength came from the end-to-end solution provided by all these five pieces working together. Take a change like 64bit, the complete runtime, tools and ecosystem chain would need to be retooled.

So, moving forward what can we do? Where we have been able to help move forward is in our stance around support and interoperability. The VB6 runtime it is still a component of the Windows operating system and is a component shipped in Windows 8.1. It will be supported at least through 2024. This ensures your apps and components continue to run as you incrementally move forward to .NET. The support policy is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708. There are numerous interop strategies that we developed and evolved to enable incremental migration as you upgrade your skills, described here: http://msdn.com/vbrun.

In summary, VB6 was awesome. We agree. We don’t expect or demand anyone to throw away their code or rewrite from any of our technologies unless it makes business sense for them to do so. We have to innovate to enable our customers to innovate. It is not a viable option to create a next version of VB6. We stand by our decision to make VB.NET and the .NET Framework. We think they are awesome too. It is not feasible to open source VB6 tools chain and ecosystem. The VB6 runtime was last shipped in Windows 8.1 and will be supported for the lifetime of Windows 8.1. Support and interop are great tools to move forward incrementally.

I hope you feel we’ve listened to your feedback and that I’ve explained things well enough that you understand our decision.

Paul Yuknewicz
    Group Program Manager
    Microsoft Visual Studio Cloud Tools

4471 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Marius Orion

We understand that you are a novice programmer with no experience. Possibly you are a teenager. After 30 years of experience you may reach our level of experience. We understand that NET is too much for you to understand now. May be years from now, you will understand what we say here about OOP and NET. We believe VB6 is the only language you use and you made many mistakes in your code you have posted here. It is a proof that you don't know programming. You should take some online programming courses

Pritesh = Classic VB6 Programming = Support VB6 programming = Marius Orion

No one believes you

• Masters of the NET UniverseMasters of the NET Universe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Zagor Tenay says

Zagor Tenay commented · May 21, 2015 9:34 AM ·

"Years ago I read an interesting interview with Bill Storage (remember him?) in Visual Basic Programmers Journal. Last night I found it again at http://classicvb.net/vfred/archives/VBPJ-StorageInterview.pdf.";

This is one of the most interesting articles I have ever read regarding VB6. It reveals so many things, that we were suspecting all the way. This article confirms many of our thoughts and feelings towards VB6, such as;
        1-VB6 is highly inefficient for business software development and complex things such as client/server applications can be done through irrational hacks only.
        2- Almost all the big businesses supported a new platform (.NET) at the time, as they new that they couldn't trust VB6 in the long run.
        3-The popularity of VB6 was that little guys could write controls (mostly hacks and via subclassing) to create unorthodox OCX controls to bypass inefficiencies of VB6 and make money out of it. All kinds of little companies mushroomed paving the way to an unmanaged, out of control, basically a dangerous ecosystem, with bunch of unstable windows API hacks. Large enterprises realized that and were more than willing to convert their VB6 codebase to NET immediately. And they did so within a few years.

I wonder why most of the VB6 fans here are so muted? I wish I could hear for instance from Sten2005, but he seems to be busy posting insignificant VB6 Win7/8/.etc. installation download numbers instead. I guess that he wasn't even aware that such an article existed and seems to me that he is venting out his frustration by keeping on posting his nonsense download figures. LOL...

Thanks for Grant Swinger to link this fantastic article. I saved it already into my HDD.

• Masters of the NET UniverseMasters of the NET Universe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Zagor Tenay says

@Masters of the NET Universe

24 people contributed only 2620$ in a month.

I was expecting much more than that to be honest. It must be a huge disappointment for VB6sters for sure. Well, another lesson. Only the strongest survive. Adapt and live or die and get extinct.

YOU ARE RIGHT ZAGOR. VB6 IS AS DEAD AS A DOOR NAIL!

Anonymous says

100 million and one reasons to hate VB and VBScript

VB is wordy, slow, single platform, visually and syntactically unappealing, and its use exposes too many vulnerabilities in the Windows OS. Torvald's statement about it not being a great language is an understatement but more politically pleasing than my total disdain for it. I believe that Microsoft should standardize on C# for heavy lifting and PowerShell for Windows automation tasks. VB, in my opininon, no longer fits into either category.

To summarize: VB is bad. It should go away. Stop using it.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/100-million-and-one-reasons-to-hate-vb-and-vbscript/

Zagor Tenay says

@Suzan Whitby

hi Suzan. Thanks for posting the article "Arrested Development: VB6 Now and Forever "https://visualstudiomag. It really shows what I have always suspected of those VB6sters. They are bunch of office boys/girls who can only use toys like excel, access or vb6. NET is for real programmers and VB6 is for kids. Before NET, VB6 was OK, because there was nothing else. However since NET came along, our world (the world of real professionals) changed for the good. We don't need to use this toy VB6 anymore. I, myself did convert all my legacy code (200k LOC) to NET years ago. It took me a few moths but I never looked back to VB6 again. I don't understand why those people commenting here still insist using VB6? However the article you have posted shows that there are more ignorant fools around than not. I just laugh at them every day. Thanks again posting this fantastic article, it thought me a lot.

@Marius Orion

"It looks like VB6 programming will go on forever !"

No. you are wrong. VB6 is long dead. No support, no maintenance any longer. Only a few hundred users left. That's why Microsoft declined the request to bring it back. Sorry. Only the strongest survives.

• PriteshPritesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see the Microsoft support statement for VB6 programming says-

"The Visual Basic team is committed to “It Just Works” compatibility for Visual Basic 6.0 applications on the following supported Windows operating systems: Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 including R2, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.

The Visual Basic team’s goal is that Visual Basic 6.0 applications continue to run on supported Windows versions. As detailed in this document, the core Visual Basic 6.0 runtime will be supported for the full lifetime of supported Windows versions"

This takes support for VB6 to 2023.

It is good that this is expected to be extended when Windows 10 is launched.

I was thinking I had to move my VB6 programs to Java. Now I don't need to. This is v. good. Thank you Microsoft.

It looks like VB6 programming will go on forever !

@Classic VB6 Programming

I agree this post-

" 'Please bring back VB6, do it for the people that are more into RAD than they are into zammeling anything that moves for the sake of catching up to Java or Android.'

Well said, there are far too many posts here from those who see programming as an end in itself.
        It isn't, it is merely a method of achieving the desired result. Who needs complex, high maintenance software ? The aim of any software development tool is to make development quick and easy - that is exactly what the VB6 programming language offered.
        In the last 15 years Microsoft have lost their way.

We shall all see, in the next few years, whether Microsoft reverse their long decline. Windows 10 looks like being a good start, but much much more is needed."

I see the Microsoft support statement for VB6 programming says-

"The Visual Basic team is committed to “It Just Works” compatibility for Visual Basic 6.0 applications on the following supported Windows operating systems: Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 including R2, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.

The Visual Basic team’s goal is that Visual Basic 6.0 applications continue to run on supported Windows versions. As detailed in this document, the core Visual Basic 6.0 runtime will be supported for the full lifetime of supported Windows versions"

This takes support for VB6 to 2023.

It is good that this is expected to be extended when Windows 10 is launched.

I was thinking I had to move my VB6 programs to Java. Now I don't need to. This is v. good. Thank you Microsoft.

It looks like VB6 programming will go on forever !

">>The Microsoft support statement for the VB6 programming language on Windows up to and including Windows 8.1 is here...

>> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708.aspx

>>This shows that Microsoft is committed to “It Just Works” compatibility for Visual Basic 6.0 applications until 2024.

>>This is expected to be extended when Windows 10 is launched.

That is good news, thanks for posting it.

Now Microsoft must make a VB6 download available."

I did not know this, thank you for posting.
        There is no reason now to migrate legacy VB6, it will be supported many years.

It is clear Microsoft are moving away from .Net. C# and Vb.Net are outdated languages now and have never been able to compete with Java.

Visual Studio may remain as an IDE/editor for non-Microsoft languages such as Python and JavaScript.

Developers using C# or Vb.Net, they are only useful for desktop development (which is a dying market) and for servers (where no one uses Microsoft now). These developers need to move on to more relevant languages.

These developers stuck with .Net shall have no future.

• Zagor TenayZagor Tenay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Masters of the NET Universe

24 people contributed only 2620$ in a month.

I was expecting much more than that to be honest. It must be a huge disappointment for VB6sters for sure. Well, another lesson. Only the strongest survive. Adapt and live or die and get extinct.

• Zagor TenayZagor Tenay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suzan Whitby

hi Suzan. Thanks for posting the article "Arrested Development: VB6 Now and Forever "https://visualstudiomag. It really shows what I have always suspected of those VB6sters. They are bunch of office boys/girls who can only use toys like excel, access or vb6. NET is for real programmers and VB6 is for kids. Before NET, VB6 was OK, because there was nothing else. However since NET came along, our world (the world of real professionals) changed for the good. We don't need to use this toy VB6 anymore. I, myself did convert all my legacy code (200k LOC) to NET years ago. It took me a few moths but I never looked back to VB6 again. I don't understand why those people commenting here still insist using VB6? However the article you have posted shows that there are more ignorant fools around than not. I just laugh at them every day. Thanks again posting this fantastic article, it thought me a lot.

• MathScienceAndGraphicsMathScienceAndGraphics commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Suzan Whitby

You're a funny girl... not much brain nor knowledge about anything as your writings are a proof of... but funny.

I will not waste a quartz beat on arguing with you, as argumenting with self-granted superior people like you is futile... as in not-productive. So I'll leave you with a word from.. no, no, not Confucius nor your MS-God, but from Merriam Webster where indoctrinate is defined as : to teach (someone) to fully accept the ideas, opinions, and beliefs of a particular group and to not consider other ideas, opinions, and beliefs. MS is doing a great job on gullible minds such as yours, so it seems that, contrary to my opinion, MS is winning some battles after all.

• Classic VB6 ProgrammingClassic VB6 Programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"In summary, VB6 was awesome. We agree. We don’t expect or demand anyone to throw away their code or rewrite from any of our technologies unless it makes business sense for them to do so."

Yes, VB6 was and is awesome. That is why Microsoft should update and support VB6 programming.

• Classic VB6 ProgrammingClassic VB6 Programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As Microsoft say...

"VB6 was and still is without a doubt awesome. VB6 made developers incredibly productive building a breadth of applications and as a result we have a wealth of applications and passionate developers to this day in 2014. One way I see our mission in developer tools is to empower developers to solve problems. This includes both today’s problems AND the problems of tomorrow. VB6, as you all have stated repeatedly in this thread, is an excellent tool for solving the problems of its day. "

"VB6 made developers incredibly productive" - yes it did, that itself is a reason for VB6 programming to continue.

• Support VB6 programmingSupport VB6 programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

>>Masters of the NET Universe commented · May 27, 2015

>>Zagor Tenay says·

@Zagor Tenay , stop reposting your own posts. Just because you are using a different logon doesn't mean these aren't duplicates.

Posting duplicate posts is not good forum etiquette.

Having duplicate usernames is not permitted.

Please desist now.

Yet more spam Zagor Tenay ?

Under your Anonymous, Suzan Whitby, Masters of the NET Universe ,trollspotter, WPF is the Future, and Pepe Bronco logons.

You are a sad, sad loser.

What do your classmates think of you ?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 223 224

Feedback and Knowledge Base