I suggest you ...

Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of VB6

The silent majority of VB6 users did not ask for changes that came with .NET

We request Microsoft brings back classic Visual Basic as COM development is back with Windows 8.

David Platt wrote an excellent article about why classic VB still thrives:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/jj133828.aspx

5,915 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

799 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MagnificulMagnificul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Sten2005

I noticed that everyone wants a piece of the VB6 community, and I told them every time: if MS could not destroy this growing community, you have no chance at all. And the secret is: they have to make languages that open and compile VB6 source code. :) ... but this is even more complicated than it seems.

• Sten2005Sten2005 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Ecaterina_V @Anonymous

That is the exact point.
        Many languages offer to replace our VB6 programming language. Real Basic/Xojo, FreeBasic, PowerBasic, Lazarus, Jabaco, Gambas, and others. Even Microsoft made a half-hearted attempt.

Often they are excellent. But they all have the same problem.
        They will not open and compile VB6 source code.

And if they can't do that, they aren't VB6 replacements.

VB6 the world's favorite Basic programming language.

• Ecaterina_VEcaterina_V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous

Lazarus is not VB6, is pascal ... I do not see the resemblance and the association between the two ... I want to see Visual Basic 6.0 reloaded !

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Worrying about the future has consumed far too much mental RAM for of us since MS pulled the plug on Visual Basic (1 to 6).
        Do you still trust Microsoft to look out for you after that?
        Recently the penny dropped for us.
        There is an open source community that has continued to extend an awesome replacement for vb6 for many years now, for no reward other than the love of it.
        Lazarus, the IDE is in some ways behind vb6 but in others ahead of it. Crucially, it compiles for platforms other than Windows, e.g. Linux, OSX, Android and others.
        Our plan is to simultaneously continue with development/maintenance in vb6 whilst simultaneously developing a Lazarus program to port our vb software to Lazarus/FreePascal.
        Luckily, it appears that there's plenty of time and once this port is done we'll never again be athe the mercy of a single vendor.

• Kevin MatneyKevin Matney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still using VB6 for many important Apps - even some new ones. I have also written some new Apps in VB.Net. The problem with with VB.Net is that I spend way to much time on the language nuances and the complex IDE setup (especially coping with programs written in different .Net versions) In VB6 we spent most of the time writing real code and getting the job done. I hardly consider VB.Net a rapid development environment. I use VB.Net because I have to, not because I want to. Like many, I'm tempted to abandon VB.Net altogether and go C-Sharp, but I still love how fast and powerful VB6 is/was.

• robert11@shaw.carobert11@shaw.ca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

still use vb6 for many apps, and still learning .net
        Update vb6 to the windows 8+ platforms would be
        a great assets to my customers also.

Make it run the apps already created in VB6

Thanks

• VB6 reloadedVB6 reloaded commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone expects the name “Visual Basic 6.0 phoenix” (or Visual Basic 6.0 ... and something) for the new version. Secondly, the product must run all previous VB6 projects … and the syntax must be the same … and so on.

• SandersSanders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I looked at several ideas on top 10. The "Debug Lambda expressions" and "Add "?." operator to C#" is (as many others) artificially inflated, at 8020 votes has only 53 comments (this can also be said of some other top 10 ideas). This idea (Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of VB6) has: ~700 FaceBook likes, ~150 Tweets, and ~800 comments. I think this is the only real sustained idea from this site.

• Eugênio Pacelli Salgado CanaanEugênio Pacelli Salgado Canaan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Superdre:
        Desabilite a transparência no Win7 e o VB vai voar...
        Aero function is the cause. Disable this and VB fly...

MIMTinsay:

SUB IMPRIMIR
        On Error Resume Next
        Frm_Printer.List1.Clear
        For i = 0 To Printers.Count - 1
        Frm_Printer.List1.AddItem Printers(i).DeviceName
        Next i
        Frm_Printer.Text1 = ""
        Frm_Printer.Show vbModal
        If Frm_Printer.Text1 = "" Then
        Msg_Box "Impressora não selecionada. Desistindo..."
        Exit Sub
        End If

'AJUSTA O SOFTWARE PARA USAR A IMPRESSORA ESCOLHIDA
        Printer_Anterior = Printer.DeviceName
        Dim Printer Destino As Printer
        For Each Printer Destino In Printers
        If Printer Destino.DeviceName = Frm_Printer.Text1 Then
        Set Printer = Printer Destino
        Exit For
        End If
        Next
        'OK

Rich1.SelPrint Printer.hdc

'VOLTANDO À PRINTER DE ANTES DEPOIS DE IMPRIMIR O RICH
        For Each Printer Destino In Printers
        If Printer Destino.DeviceName = Printer_Anterior Then
        Set Printer = Printer Destino
        Exit For
        End If
        Next
        'OK
        END SUB

IN THE NEXT TIME, PLANETSOURCECODE, OR VBFORUM,
        HUGS

• SuperDreSuperDre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@mim tinsay: this is not the apropriate place to ask that question, I suggest you use the excellent site: www.vbforums.com for that.. And it all depends on what kind of file (plaintext, html, word, whatever) you are trying to print.

• harryharry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think they just got carried away with Java craze of the time, and must not have been basic developers on their own. Plus they had the j# code base sitting there not allowed to use because of lawsuit. I can see they say fine we will do it better! The idea of multidevice portable source is attractive but I don't think anyone has found just the right balance yet. Also they failed to realize that a healthy ecosystem has different niches, and that there new baby didn't account for existing needs without a shoehorn. Asking people who were (are) extremely productive to relearn thier ABCs at your whim while offering no benefit... Well e know how that goes

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Jonathan West: "Too much pride at stake."

Too much pride at stake if one listens to its customers? What do you lose if you do not listen to your customers? Maybe it is not pride but simply arrogance.

• mim tinsaymim tinsay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hey guys i need your help! how can i print a file using a printer object? i already assigned pr as printer object. and changed its colormode and other stuff but now im stuck. whats the code for printing a file? btw, im using vb6. please help. i've been up for 29 hours already. i need to finish this now!!!!! :( please kind people... please help me... :(

• SuperDreSuperDre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@anomyous: just uncheck 'align controls to grid' in the options, then you have your grid AND pixel perfect adjustment.. I have my grid set to 30/30.. And I don't understand what 'Size to Widest' is different as from just selecting the controls and then select the one you which everything to resize to (with the various resize/move buttons in the toolbar).
        (BUT with Windows 7 (and vista and I guess 8)) resizing/moving a lot of standard VB6 controls really can be slow, so slow, you can even get a cup of coffee).

But that's the beauty of VB6, everybody uses it completely different.

• Admin of my CastleAdmin of my Castle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Today BASIC is in a severe shortage. Visual Studio team will waste a few more years on the useless VB.NET and after that a smarter Visual Studio team will bring back Visual Basic 6.0.

I do not understand how the Visual Studio team can be so blind! Like they intentionally sabotage Microsoft ! For now, Visual Studio team spends money on VB.NET without any results and any feedback from us.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 39 40

Feedback and Knowledge Base