I suggest you ...

Open Source VB 6

Since Microsoft has abandoned your most successful development language vb6 decade. But a lot of the old professional programmers are still using vb6, Can Microsoft send VB6 as a gift to these old programmer? Perhaps these old programmers can make VB6 run on the Window8 and Windows Phones. .NET is really too slow and too complicated.
Thanks!

191 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdamAdam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not old, I have 25 years ... give VB6 to the users or make a new one !

• MansMans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like that, I like it allot.

To use a parable about the development of development tools that are more monstrous then the previous version...;

In the beginning, I was using a flycatcher to kill the fly. Then, I was using a shotgun to kill the fly, then, we used a cannon, now we use an atomic bomb. But the thing is... its still a fly...

That is exactly what makes (not made) VB6 so great. Have an idea, and realize it in a matter of days. The customer LOVES you! .NET is a monster and any .NET coder I have challenged so far loose in a matter of creativity. Ok, .NET is better in a lot of ways. Ok, .NET can do stuff better and more precise, but the fact is, I get things done allot faster, and in rapid development, that really counts.

And, also, I must add, my VB6 project do the same task as the .NET project, since its just a Windows application. .NET is to wide, its aiming at so many things at once. VB6 is Windows development, the thing Microsoft ought to support the most since its supporting Microsoft sales.

Microsoft decided to support the web, and not Windows primary - what? Some people in management have done some seriously bad decision about this...

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You know, I'm completely agree with an open source version but i'd prefer an updated version by MS. but asking for a new version is just goose chase! so I'll go with Open Source.

• SteveSteve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd prefer Microsoft to bring out a new release of VB6. But if they are not going to do that, they should make it open source.

• SteveSteve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And don't forget we still have to support legacy software. We need a VB6 future, either from Microsoft or as Open Source.

Feedback and Knowledge Base