I suggest you ...

Provide the ability to run multiple test suites within a test plan in Microsoft Test Manager

Currently Microsoft Test Manager allows running only one test suite at a time within a Test Plan. Real testing of any reasonably large system will result in the creation of multiple test suites within a Test Plan, some of which are likely to be Test suites nested within other Test Suites.

Please provide a way for the user to select multiple any or all Test Suites withing a Test Plan and with a single Run "command"

120 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark McDowMark McDow shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Shankar SathiamurthiShankar Sathiamurthi shared a merged idea: Allow testers to run test cases from multiple test suites in MTM  ·   · 
    Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

There are 2 parts of this suggestion, one targeted at Automated Testing and the other for Manual testing.

For Automated testing, starting with TFS 2015, we have simplified running automated tests without the need for creating any test cases and then adding them to test suites.

Take a look at the following blog for more details:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/05/29/testing-in-continuous-integration-and-continuous-deployment-workflows.aspx

With the above, the core need for automated testing is largely addressed. Hence, I am inclined to mark this item as “Completed”

Coming to Manual testing, the need to see all test cases present in the child suites (nested) in a single view is an important scenario. I would like to create a separate user voice item for this specific ask.

Will wait to hear back feedback on the above before proceeding with marking this suggestion as Completed & creating a new one for Manual testing scenario.

Thanks
    -Ravi Shanker

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Elisabet de WaalElisabet de Waal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a scenario where our test cases are automated, i.e they are set to "Automated" in MTM 2013. They are run in another environment (not Windows), so there are adaption in-between. Our testers (on system test level), starts the test plans from MTM manually. Each test plan usually includes more than one test suite, and there's a need to start multiple test suites within each test plan, .

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Visual Studio Team. This my answer for your message at Aug 6, 2015.
        If I understand right you propose do not use the Microsoft Test Manager for automated testing at all. This is not exactly what was described in this item. We have also in VS 2013 the possibility to execute a set of tests from VS. The item is about testing in the Microsoft Test Manager and not about just to start a set of tests somehow.
        I hope you don't close this item till the feature is implemented in the MTM.

• Alexander SchikoraAlexander Schikora commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't wanna know how MS is testing their software if they don't even need this feature, but looking at Vista and the latest Security Patches I get an idea...

• Eran DamelinEran Damelin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We found a cute workaround
        Apparently if you click run on a certain suite in automation you return and click on another suite. This will queu the next suite to run after the first one

• Carlos PertuzCarlos Pertuz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an alternative to this, different than adding all the test cases to the root Test Plan?

• nehaneha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As already pointed this feature is a must have for automation

• Adam AllfordAdam Allford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I haven't even started indepth testing of our new system yet and I've already come across this issue. Please create the functionality to run multiple Test Suites at the same time

Critical for automation!!!
        when you run coded UI that is attached to test cases
        you want to be able to select several test suites at once for the night run

It is critical for automation that is integrated into test plans work items
        you want to be able to select several test suites to run in a night automation run

Feedback and Knowledge Base