I suggest you ...

Allow turning the CSS auto formatting off completly.

There doesn't appear to be a way to turn off the auto formatting in CSS files. I'm sure that in VS2010 my most hit, non-alphanumeric key was the semi-colon, in VS2012 it's backspace 2012 tends to put in spaces and line breaks automatically. I prefer to wrtie my CSS files to be ultra-condensed to begin with. It would be great if there was a "disable auto formatting/auto completion check box for CSS files.

89 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please, a simple "None" option under TOOLS->OPTIONS->Text Editor->CSS->Formatting would be logical. Choosing "Compact Rules" and unchecking "Hierarchical indentation" does NOT solve the problem. It just formats it differently. It still formats it when I type a closing brace. The only (really lame) workaround I found is to actually keep a closing curly brace copied so that I can paste it in instead of typing it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Follow TOOLS->OPTIONS->Text Editor->CSS->Formatting
        Choose "Compact Rules" and uncheck "Hiearerchical indentation"

• Tobias SchoderTobias Schoder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you use Web Essentials just set "Enable Speed Typing" to false and everything will work as expected.

• Ryan WilliamsRyan Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Incredibly irritating. Can't believe an IDE like this doesn't allow the auto-formatting to be disabled. A simple 'None' in the 'Formatting' text editor options would be adequate.

• EhsanEhsan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature walking through my nerves!
        Please just allow turn this off :(

• ++ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The way I see it is this; How dare Visual Studio force me to format my CSS its way. I've been writing CSS for 10+ years and now Visual Studio has suddenly ruled that my formatting is incorrect and I have to edit EVERY SINGLE LINE OF CSS I WRITE. I dread typing the closing } as it triggers the raping of my code. It's very annoying I can't believe this kind of stuff gets past testing.

• ScottScott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's driving me crazy!! When I'm writing a big chunk of CSS I write it in another app and copy it over.

• sonixsonix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't believe there is no way to turn this off?!?
        Yes please implement this.

Feedback and Knowledge Base