I suggest you ...

As a trainer, administrator and ALM professional it would be great to have one integrated utility to setup a TFS instance quickly

The ALM Rangers have the TfsTeamTool Quick Response Sample, a tool from Tarun which adds some additional features, the Scrum Robot which Richard Hundhausen uses with a collection of batch files and scripts for the PSD.NET training course. And my personal additions for setting Team and Personal profile pictures.

It would be valuable to consolidate these into a single well organized set of commands that can be used to quickly setup a demo or trainign environment.

10 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jesse HouwingJesse Houwing shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike VincentMike Vincent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should include the abillity to execute an XML manifest. That will make it more extensible (especially through PowerShell) and easier to maintain complex setups like training environments.

• Richard HundhausenRichard Hundhausen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's what I would like the utility to do ...

* Offer similar functionality against on-premises TFS as with hosted TF Service
        * Provision student accounts (or add live ID instances) - driven from a data file (.csv, .xml, .xslx, etc.)
        * Put those accounts into groups/teams, as I generally like students to co-locate as teams in class
        * Create n number of team projects -1 per team, specifying name, description, template, from a data file
        * For each team project created ...

* Provision respective user membership and permission in SharePoint, and SSRS appropriately
        * Create initial list of areas, iterations, and product backlog items (like my Scrum Robot does)
        * Create initial source control folder structure
        * Add and check-in baseline case-study code to the folder(s) of my choosing

Feedback and Knowledge Base