I suggest you ...

XNA 5

Please continue to work on XNA. It's a great way for indie game developers like myself to make games and give them to the world. XNA gave us the ability to put our games, easily, on the most popular platforms, and to just dump XNA would be therefor heartbreaking... I implore you to keep working on XNA so we C# developers can still make amazing games!

20,148 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Charles JacksonCharles Jackson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

294 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • IsaacIsaac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Okay, I know I just posted about loving XNA (I really do!). But I just found out that Shawn Hargreaves is the person spearheading Win2D. For those who don't know Shawn is pretty much the physical manifestation of XNA. In short, I will continue working on my XNA projects but I think it would be a good idea to jump into Win2D while it is in its very early stages of development. I'll always be behind any effort to resurrect XNA. At this point I feel if XNA lives on in any capacity it will be in the form of Win2D and maybe a Win3D project in the future. The Win2D project is in it's super-early stages of development right now and is focusing on 2D UI centric graphics at the moment but I am sure it will evolve over time.

http://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2014/09/05/introducing-win2d-gpu-accelerated-2d-graphics-programming-in-the-windows-runtime/

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish people would stop posting about Monogame, Unity3D, and other things not XNA. This isn't what this is for. Thanks

I was working on two game projects when I found out XNA was being left for dead by MS. I stopped working on these projects (which I had already worked on for over a year) and left the projects to collect dust in my Onedrive (previously Skydrive) for years. It's been several years and now I've decided to finish my projects regardless of whether MS decides to revive XNA in one form or another. I'm reinstalling VS 2010, XNA Game Studio, warming up my fingers and finishing up my XNA projects. Even if I'm the only one who gets to enjoy these game projects I'm getting it done!

I love .Net game programming and the XNA library and when you love something you don't just give up on it, you fight to keep it alive! WOO-HOO! I'M FEELING IT! OHHHH YEEEAAAAHHHH!

• DecDec commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The decision is simple: either spend a trivial amount of money to upgrade without adding features or simply open-source to help the MonoGame guys!

• RB WhitakerRB Whitaker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Over 20000 votes! Shouldn't that be enough to get something from Microsoft? At least a response of some sort?

While there's a ton I'd love to see with a new version of XNA, I'd be quite happy to have an installer that installs into VS 2013 (and shortly 2015), as well as have templates that come set up to use C# 5 (and shortly 6).

That seems like a trivial amount of work, and would make so many of us very happy.

There wouldn't be 20K votes on this thing if MonoGame, Unity, or C++/DirectX was a suitable alternative.

XNA is still a powerful game/app development tool. Windows tablets are primarily Win 8 Pro meaning they can still run XNA games in desktop mode or use 3rd party tools like monogame to make runnable in "tablet" mode. Win RT is dead which I feel is one reason why I believe MS decided to ditch XNA because ,net isnt too friendly with ARM architecture. Now that RT is dead there should be NO reason why XNA can't continue being used for tablet, XBox One, and desktop development. MS recently announced .Net programming for XBox One and is beginning to open-source bits and pieces of .Net. But there fact that there is no active support and development of XNA is still a major concern. While XNA is still very usable in today's environment it will eventually become unusable if it is not updated from time-to-time to keep it a relevant modern tool for development.

XNA is a great way to learn programming for beginners and is also a great tool for advanced game developers. While there are alternatives available none come close to XNA because of the perfect mix of advances features and "ground-up" possibilities. I love XNA because it is truly a programmers dream come true. MS, hire one or two people to continue working on and updating XNA. You'll make a lot of people happy and I'm sure you can afford it. C'mon, please! :)

• Michael HansenMichael Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Xna 5 is = XNA BARE MATAL ,, reduce 70% in size , running all math on the gpu,

a 500 million dollar render for you all,, comes loaded with 7 preset for render setup,,

every one can create a tripple aaa render for there game,app, or what ever,,

xna bare metal comes a a plugin for UNITY3D for XBOX ONE,PS4,ANDROID TV, AND ALL SMART TV OUTTHERE

THE NEXUS PLAYER VERSION , FEUTURES

GOOGLE CLOUD COMPUTE FOR GAMES = REMOTE XNA IN THE CLOUD ( MATH )

ALL C# , JAVA, XAMARIN,DOT42, ANDROID STUDIO(JAVA VERSION)

MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM Denmark to you all ,,

are you all ready,, for beating the xbox one and the ps4 on your nexus player tv,,

my dream is yours for free,, and open source,,

you dident allov me to make any dollars last time,, so this one is for free

a qantum lerp for games around 5 to 6 years from now,,

and the age of the voxel is comming this year,,, 50 times rez of the voxelfarm engine
        if have seen this,, size does not matter any more

Michael Hansen

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After the announcement to release .NET as open-source, please do the same with XNA.

• Golem13Golem13 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unity, cocos2d-x(for 3D), but at the end i came back to XNA(content manager) + Monogame.

XNA was amazing not only to dev but also to teach... it's perfect to learn about games mecanism (sprite, detection, geometry, scrooling, 3D basics etc...) and can teach on the same way complex programing structure.

XNA first goal was to touch fresh/youngers devellopers.... with the end of XNA microsoft is failing on that. And it is in my sense the worst consequence. Take a look at Apple, they always try to flirt with young generations even if it is on marketing way... but they have right in one thing... FUTUR must go throw young people.
        MS miss this basic and important aproch ... an much more without XNA end.

• Tommaso ScaliciTommaso Scalici commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Who needs XNA when there are more amazing and more "evolved" tools like MonoGame and Paradox 3D?
        Guys, XNA is old, abandoned and *NOT* multiplatform... you can target just Microsoft platforms...
        These tools I mentioned are always C#-centric but they are open-source, actively developed and multiplatform! Please check them out and forget about XNA! Don't suggest Microsoft to "resuscitate" old technologies! This request sounds much like this! :P
        http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3440221-bring-back-classic-visual-basic-an-improved-versi

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I carry on a torch for XNA. Until a suitable replacement emerges I will always desire XNA.

• Nigel KenningtonNigel Kennington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an ex games programmer who moved into education, XNA hit the sweet spot for teaching games development that was "proper" programming and yet able to getting rewarding effects very quickly. There was a massive amount lot of good will generated for Microsoft by XNA and its ethos that would be terrible for you to lose.

• matramatra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unity 3d CEO stpped down, and now MS will buy Unity3d to repalce the XNA. (Pay atention to recent renewed MS interest in unity - update VS plugins for Unity etc,...)

• RB WhitakerRB Whitaker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's nice to see this getting some renewed attention. It looks like we may cross the 20K barrier soon!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see XNA back too BUT I think there is a good reason why MS has abandoned it. With Universal Apps, it is possible to have very small C++ part of the app for DirectX 11 drawing (you can use DirectXTK for easy start) and implement everything else with C# and XAML. I have been experimenting with this myself. It's difficult to set up but when you get it running you can quite much forget C++. The least MS could do is that they could create a sample project for this. The current sample is all C++ which is not what people here want.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15

Feedback and Knowledge Base