I suggest you ...

XNA 5

Please continue to work on XNA. It's a great way for indie game developers like myself to make games and give them to the world. XNA gave us the ability to put our games, easily, on the most popular platforms, and to just dump XNA would be therefor heartbreaking... I implore you to keep working on XNA so we C# developers can still make amazing games!

19,886 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Charles JacksonCharles Jackson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

286 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael HansenMichael Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Xna 5 is = XNA BARE MATAL ,, reduce 70% in size , running all math on the gpu,

a 500 million dollar render for you all,, comes loaded with 7 preset for render setup,,

every one can create a tripple aaa render for there game,app, or what ever,,

xna bare metal comes a a plugin for UNITY3D for XBOX ONE,PS4,ANDROID TV, AND ALL SMART TV OUTTHERE

THE NEXUS PLAYER VERSION , FEUTURES

GOOGLE CLOUD COMPUTE FOR GAMES = REMOTE XNA IN THE CLOUD ( MATH )

ALL C# , JAVA, XAMARIN,DOT42, ANDROID STUDIO(JAVA VERSION)

MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM Denmark to you all ,,

are you all ready,, for beating the xbox one and the ps4 on your nexus player tv,,

my dream is yours for free,, and open source,,

you dident allov me to make any dollars last time,, so this one is for free

a qantum lerp for games around 5 to 6 years from now,,

and the age of the voxel is comming this year,,, 50 times rez of the voxelfarm engine
        if have seen this,, size does not matter any more

Michael Hansen

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After the announcement to release .NET as open-source, please do the same with XNA.

• Golem13Golem13 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unity, cocos2d-x(for 3D), but at the end i came back to XNA(content manager) + Monogame.

XNA was amazing not only to dev but also to teach... it's perfect to learn about games mecanism (sprite, detection, geometry, scrooling, 3D basics etc...) and can teach on the same way complex programing structure.

XNA first goal was to touch fresh/youngers devellopers.... with the end of XNA microsoft is failing on that. And it is in my sense the worst consequence. Take a look at Apple, they always try to flirt with young generations even if it is on marketing way... but they have right in one thing... FUTUR must go throw young people.
        MS miss this basic and important aproch ... an much more without XNA end.

• Tommaso ScaliciTommaso Scalici commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Who needs XNA when there are more amazing and more "evolved" tools like MonoGame and Paradox 3D?
        Guys, XNA is old, abandoned and *NOT* multiplatform... you can target just Microsoft platforms...
        These tools I mentioned are always C#-centric but they are open-source, actively developed and multiplatform! Please check them out and forget about XNA! Don't suggest Microsoft to "resuscitate" old technologies! This request sounds much like this! :P
        http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3440221-bring-back-classic-visual-basic-an-improved-versi

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I carry on a torch for XNA. Until a suitable replacement emerges I will always desire XNA.

• Nigel KenningtonNigel Kennington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an ex games programmer who moved into education, XNA hit the sweet spot for teaching games development that was "proper" programming and yet able to getting rewarding effects very quickly. There was a massive amount lot of good will generated for Microsoft by XNA and its ethos that would be terrible for you to lose.

• matramatra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unity 3d CEO stpped down, and now MS will buy Unity3d to repalce the XNA. (Pay atention to recent renewed MS interest in unity - update VS plugins for Unity etc,...)

• RB WhitakerRB Whitaker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's nice to see this getting some renewed attention. It looks like we may cross the 20K barrier soon!

I would like to see XNA back too BUT I think there is a good reason why MS has abandoned it. With Universal Apps, it is possible to have very small C++ part of the app for DirectX 11 drawing (you can use DirectXTK for easy start) and implement everything else with C# and XAML. I have been experimenting with this myself. It's difficult to set up but when you get it running you can quite much forget C++. The least MS could do is that they could create a sample project for this. The current sample is all C++ which is not what people here want.

• Dan ColasantiDan Colasanti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an ex-XNA MVP, it was very disappointing that Microsoft dropped XNA - and since it's pretty clear that XNA's not coming back, it would be nice if Microsoft at least open-sourced XNA (for use in MonoGame).

Please, please, please Mr Nadela give some love to C# and XNA in the form or XNA 5 :). Thank you.

• JesJes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just wanted to say the same thing you are ahead of me :)

• RB WhitakerRB Whitaker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nobody is asking for massive improvements to XNA right now. (We'd love to have it, but that's not the most important thing.) What I've heard from all of the XNA devs that I've talked to is the following:
        1. Integration into the latest versions of Visual Studio. There are some workarounds to make this happen, and having written a workaround script myself, I can tell you that this should be an almost trivial task.
        2. Ability to run XNA games on the Xbox One, as well as the latest version of Windows and Windows smartphones. Supposedly, .NET Framework apps and games are supposed to work on all of these, so again this shouldn't be anything out of the ordinary.
        3. Upgrading XNA to use the latest versions of both the .NET Framework and DirectX. This is possibly a little more involved, but probably nothing too crazy.

A one man team could make this happen, so it doesn't really matter to me that 18,000 people were laid off. (Especially since the bulk of the layoffs came from the Nokia side.) I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'll happily do the work for free, if it could be officially sanctioned my Microsoft.

It really is a little bit of work to make a lot of people happy.

Above everything else though, if you're not going to make an XNA 5, we'd sure like a more thorough, coherent explanation that makes sense to us (and not just to MSFT insiders) as to why you won't continue it. You'd be making a huge mistake to not do at least that much, considering this item has absolutely blown away every other proposal that has ever existed on this site in terms of votes. (And the second highest being to allow .NET games on the Xbox One, no less.)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15

Feedback and Knowledge Base