I suggest you ...

XNA 5

Please continue to work on XNA. It's a great way for indie game developers like myself to make games and give them to the world. XNA gave us the ability to put our games, easily, on the most popular platforms, and to just dump XNA would be therefor heartbreaking... I implore you to keep working on XNA so we C# developers can still make amazing games!

18,608 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Charles JacksonCharles Jackson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

266 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • michael hansenmichael hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why no xna 5.0 ,, well the open source monogame is working on it
        and microsoft has fired 18.000 people do you think microsoft have the dollars to contunie developerment of xna NO,, despite that we have all invested dollars in there platform

so think twice before invest in microsoft platform,, you do not know when thay dump the framework ,, and that kill your brand and your company.. end of that

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If M$ really is abandoning xna 5, they should just GPL open source the whole darn thing -- including the content pipeline, etc -- so other teams can pick up the ball more fully. Why abandon a technology, NOT support it, and then NOT release its code? Seems like just bad business.

MS "insider" here. No XNA5. End of story. You can continue to upvote, but it won't matter. We're sorry.

What about merging WPF/SILVERLIGHT and XNA into a new product?
        But please make it run on Windows 7!.

Killing XNA is as stupid as this new "All Cloud" trend.
        I'll be moving to Linux if Microsoft (Google has always been about that, and I don't into Apple) keeps current course.

• Craig DeublerCraig Deubler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rather than competing with MonoGame why not contribute resources to help make MonoGame a (more) truly awesome platform?

• Loren LemckeLoren Lemcke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Developer of Over 9000 Zombies! here. I definitely am in favor of XNA 5.0 or at the very least continued support for both developers and users of XNA applications. Thank you!

• RB WhitakerRB Whitaker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suspect the delay at this point is not in the number of votes, but in the timing of internal discussions. Microsoft is going through a bit of a mid-life crisis right now. The mobile market has been exploding over the last few years, and Microsoft has hardly any of that traffic. Desktop sales are dropping, and that's the area Microsoft has dominated for decades. So they're trying to figure out who they're going to be in the future, and what software they need to support that new role. I suspect there's internal debate about whether something like XNA really helps them as they move forward.

If that's the case, though, from my point of view, it seems clear that XNA would be very helpful to them. If you bring XNA up to DX11 and Visual Studio 2013, and build an easy pathway to deploy XNA games on the Xbox One, the Windows 8 Phone, and Windows desktops and tablets, you'll probably get a lot of new games getting out to your mobile platforms. That solves the chicken-and-egg problem for you pretty nicely. (App developers don't want to make apps for a platform that isn't used, and users don't want to use a platform that there are few apps for.)

I could be wrong, but I really don't think that would be very much work. I'd volunteer to do it, if it could be officially sanctioned by Microsoft.

It's obvious from all the comments and votes that XNA 5 is wanted. Please just let us know whether you are going to develop XNA 5 or not.

• devdogdevdog commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no reasonable replacement product for XNA, please continue its development.

• xna5_would_be_nicexna5_would_be_nice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

мс вроде искала людей для разработки апи, подобного xna. Может, знает кто, чем дело закончилось?

• xna5_would_be_nicexna5_would_be_nice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ShadpDX.ToolKit << к сожалению, и с шарпдх не все гладко. Вроде как автор над проектом более не работает.

• PhilipPhilip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just don't understand why MS would kill XNA, it was a great platform. If they had XNA 5 with support for Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Desktop, Xbox One, DirectX 11, and .NET 4.5 MS would have MANY great games popping up on the stores. Can we at least have some sort of response?

• 161rus161rus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Скорее всего, вряд ли выйдет XNA 5, так как для DirectX 10 / 11 нужен совершенно другой api. Надеюсь, что через какое-то время ShadpDX.ToolKit тоже будет иметь полноценную поддержку content pipline. А пока что альтернативы для XNA я никакой не вижу.

• XNA manXNA man commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unity3d is not a replacement for XNA. XNA is a framework rather than an engine. The nich is empty. Please bring back XNA. It doesn't have to be a rich editor. An API + Content Pipeline is just enough. Or at least open-source it to make MonoGame life easier.

• Ademolu Oluwafẹmi AdelekeAdemolu Oluwafẹmi Adeleke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

XNA introduced me to Windows game programming. C++ is too hard to learn. Someone was saying it was like XP; it had to die. DirectX existed before XNA but it's being improved every year or so. I believe XNA has more users than DirectX. Don't kill it, please.

XNA is, in my mind, the easiest framework out there. Honestly, i don't think anything compares to it for a beginner-level framework. XNA allowed me to create my first ever game, and I credit XNA for my love of coding today. Without it, i do not think I would not have been as interested in game development. Please continue to inspire other people with XNA.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If there was no XNA, I would never have learned C# and become a Windows Phone/Windows Store developer.
        I recently got my Microsoft Certification. I accredit XNA to starting my career. Thanks. Please bring it back and create more MS developers

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base