I suggest you ...

Native support for XPath 2.0 or XSLT 2.0 in .NET

Provide native support for XPath 2.0 or XSLT 2.0 in .NET framework, and of course extend it to SharePoint and other related technologies

248 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    binojantonybinojantony shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sanat GersappaSanat Gersappa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been processing complicated XML docs from Credit Bureaus the past few days and have found Linq to XML to be an extremely elegant alternative.

• Andrew HallidayAndrew Halliday commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree totally with all the people posting here in shock and dismay that these 2.0 technologies haven't been implemented. I was abhorred when realising that Microsoft had not yet supported XPath 2.0 in any of their XML implementations. As a corporation which attempts to provide enterprise level development tools and already having a browser which for so long has been so brazenly standards non-compliant and then to take 4++ years to update your XPath implementation from 1.0 to 2.0 is the reason I'm always searching for alternatives to MS Technology these days...they're just too far behind the 8-ball (probably putting Office on the Web, which nobody will use seriously - beyond the gimmick!).

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just Shameful. I were looking for it in 2008/2009 now again same problem in the year 2014 where we already have progress from .net 2.0 to .net 4.5.1

• Andrej MackoAndrej Macko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe MS didn't implement these basic XML languages, arguing 'developers would be confused by all these complex languages' (WTF?!) - it's totally MISSING and DEVs are integrating 3rd party libs from Java (as SAXON), which is a pretty sad decision regarding the very basic techs as XML is. Shame.

• abmabm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must have feature! We can find 13 years old MSDN article claiming you guys would implement XPath 2.0 but yet we don't have it in any Microsoft technology. Some people suggest that XML team at Microsoft was down sized and some great people left Microsoft. But its fairly hard to believe that company employing 100k+ top graduates in the domain is unable to implement the technology which every other competitor has made (Google, Mozilla, Apple etc.).

If the implementation is time consuming, Microsoft can acquire XQSharp, Exselt or some company which has implemented it for .NET. We need this technology EVEN if XPATH 1.0 suffices because XPATH 2.0 is made W3C standard since 2007, so Microsoft should respect it and provide the implementation OOTB.

Thank you!

Feedback and Knowledge Base