I suggest you ...

Add support for SSH keys as alternate authentication method in TFS Online

A common way to authenticate clients in a Git setup is to use SSH keys. It would be nice to have that method on TFS Online as well.

1,833 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Magnus JohanssonMagnus Johansson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

56 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Romain ThéryRomain Théry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must have to connect Unity Cloud Build system with VSO ! Using login and password in the url to access it is not really an alternative...

• Eric SwansonEric Swanson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems HTTPS for most operations doesn't work with my external corporate proxy. Guessing SSH would. Getting prompted for alternate credentials, but getting "fatal: Authentication failed" on corp network, but success off of it.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been years since this issue was first raised - it's sad that you guys continously fail to have it addressed.

• BobBob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Working in Higher Education, we really need the ability to host our own internal git server. VS not being able to accommodate this is a major hardship.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nothing against GitHub, but our organization needs to keep our private git repository in-house. We host this on a Linux server and would love the ability to use SSH to handle check-ins, etc. Seems like this would be pretty easy for Microsoft to integrate into the Visual Studio product - enter server name, port, and credential information, done!)

• Paul GowerPaul Gower commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would really like to use VSO Git but because my accounts all have 2-factor SSH is the best option. I realize VSO's "Alternate credentials" is a work around but not ideal for my situation.

• Ryan ButcherRyan Butcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Until this is sorted - Visual Studio Online / git is not an option."
        There are credential caches that leverage the credential manager on Windows Machines.

But, Would totally love this as an option over "Alternate credentials" on vso

• Soe TunSoe Tun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+3 Please don't implement Git support halfway. Please support the SSH keys.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+3. Absolutely essential to use Git via SSH, not only from developer workstations, but also from build machines, repository hooks and so forth.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base