I suggest you ...

Allow auto-layout in ADO.Net Entity Model Designer to be disabled

Much as I love ADO.Net Entity Data Model Designer (VS2010), one feature is making me INSANE.

When initially putting together a complex data model, it's perfectly fine (and desirable) that Designer figures out on its own where the lines delineating associations are placed. However, eventually, I wind up meticulously placing those lines myself for the sake of readability.

But if I finish my painstaking layout, and then decide to, say, add a property to an existing entity, Designer redoes my entire layout, or at least every association line that leads to or from that entity.

It's the definition of frustrating. I find myself trying to manually edit the design portion of the XML to undo some amount of the crazy changes; sometimes it works, sometimes I have to redo the whole thing manually.

Simply setting a preference to disable auto-layout, perhaps excepting the specific association being created (if you're creating a new association), would be a dream come true.

24 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dan MauerDan Mauer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JStinebaughJStinebaugh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Added 3 more votes, I'm going crazy trying to get the lines to not cross over. In spaces where there is room for each line to pass by without overlap, the designer chooses instead to overlap the lines. Its making it a more complicated view then it needs to be.

• BotBot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just casted 3 votes. So that your suggestion will get heard. :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base