I suggest you ...

silverlight compile to html5 or Have XAML run in browser without plugin

have Silverlight compile to html5 or Have XAML run in browser without plugin.

163 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AndrewAndrew shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Glenn KesslerGlenn Kessler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What I don't get then is if you just support IE only (you're not worried about cross browser stuff) then why hassle with anything other than WPF? Or really XAML Apps?
        Of course I am coming form the opinion that ASP.NET and all that is a hassle and just not as easy to deal with as basically desktop based code. For Windows 8.1 and beyond then you really start having some nice options for Phone/Tablet/Desktop compatible solutions.
        I don't know really.... someone tell me why I'd want to do anything else....
        What is the least appealing to me is the script stuff. Seems like an unwieldy thing when it gets big....
        Is that because it is so loosely structured, and the lack of strong typing that to me it seems that way?
        I vote yes. I have thought something like that would be in the pipe-line from t he get-go.

• RaymondRaymond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Interesting. I had a similar idea and I posted it as follows:
        I suggest Microsoft create a project template for XAML/Typescript and not just HTML/Typescript with the following three items in mind:

A. You provide a project template for XAML/Typescript instead of just HTML/Typescript. The XAML should be transpiled to HTML as the typescript is transpiled to javascript. Developers can either work with the XAML view window or the HTML view window depending on which one they are comfortable with. that way MS developers coming from wpf/Silverlight are happy and new open source developers coming from HTML are happy.
        B. You should create RIA services for XAML/Typescript just as you had in Silverlight/c#/vb. And you will be forgiven for leading developers to Silverlight and killing it.
        C. you should provide a compilation switch to either transpile Typescript to JavaScript or to .net IL. that way, typescript becomes the bridge and one could actually Compile C# or VB to IL and reverse that from IL to Typescript which already transpiles to JavaScript. in essence, C#/VB can go directly to javascript once this bridge is established, providing you true options for the web like:
        XAML/typescript, HTML/Typescript, HTML/C#/VB, XAML/C#/VB etc at no additional cost. I expect Roslyn at least to achieve this last point. but the first two points should be achieved immediately.
        see post:
        http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/4412495-i-suggest-you-create-a-project-template-for-xaml-t

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could be in a similar way as TypeScript.
        TypeScript is a superset of javascript ... type safe and compiled to JS language.

The original XAML specification could be modified to fit HTML/CSS standards while retaining the nice concepts of WPF:

- Layout: Well defined and easier but very powerful
        - Binding
        - Data Templates, and
        - Control Templates: that everything is made up of atomic UI elements.

• Keith BlanchardKeith Blanchard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is nothing wrong with JavaScript. People just need to learn the language before they try and write applications in it.

• shimmyshimmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think having a 'compiler' that generates Silverlight code into HTML5+CSS3+JS code would be awesome, I think it's even worth throwing away some existing SL features to make the generator compatible with HTML5+CSS3+JS.
        It's not a secret, even many devs use it a lot, JavaScript is a stinky error-prone language. Having C#+XAML generated to H+C+J would be extremely great.

Not only that but it will also make C#+XAML the most portable language in the world, it will work on every browser supporting HTML5/CSS3/JS, could make OOB wrappers for Linux, Android, OSX/iOS and more.
        Besides that SL is already easily portable to WPF/WinRT apps.

Not to mentioned the awesomeness of RIA Services and the integrated validation tools that only SL offers, it's currently not present for WPF nor for WinRT.

IMHO, MS gave up an awesome technology to get attention from the js developers, which is not completely stupid, what's stupid is that the ppl who worked on those awesome technology are frustrated. Moving from Silverlight to JS is like moving from Blue Label to Red Label...

• FredFred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also like my Windows 8 Metro applications to work on a Commodore 64. Could you guys get on that? Thanks.

• Mhd AhdMhd Ahd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To Jeremy Pardoe
        * What about offline systems with restricted and tight security policy that disable any plugins (like flash, Sl, ....) only HTML and JS are allowed.
        * What about mobile and tablets customers (I'm working in a central bank; the top management uses IPad only)...
        * What about other banks, FX companies and other organizations that access your applications.

• Jeremy PardoeJeremy Pardoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To Anonymous:

Speaking for corporate LOB app developers, we are not developing LOB applications in Sliverlight in order to "reach" all possible browsers. We are perfectly happy to support I.E. only. (It seems that most corporate intranet HTML apps are only -partially tested and so only partially compatible with other browsers in any case.)

Silverlight provides us with a rapid, type-safe environment where we can provide access to users to sophisticated, robust applications with a zero-footprint, always up to date delivery model. Low development costs, low maintenance costs, superb tooling. For any MS Windows based corporation (i.e. 99%), who cares if the "only" delivery medium is a browser that ships with every copy of Windows.
        By building SL into I.E. MS would avoid corporate lock-down policies that with can frustrate Silverlight plug-in deployment.
        The compile-to-html5/js approach seems a bit like "compiling" a Ferrari into a Morris Minor. Still, provided it can be made to work...kinda..on some browsers...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just wonder how naive you can be to ask for XAML being able to run in browser without plugin. And lets say that Microsoft implements such a feature for their Internet Explorer, why don't you go to Mozilla, Google, Apple etc to ask them do the same for their browsers !

It seems common sense is what is missing these days.
        what is run in a browser is not Microsoft's decision you know ... go learn what W3C is.

Feedback and Knowledge Base