I suggest you ...

Make existing Visual Studio visual designer and extensible enough to be available for other programming language such as F# as well

I don't know how to write this suggestions clearer than the current title. I'll try to explain the background of this suggestions
This is the current situations in VS 2012:
1. F# has included as one of first class language since VS 2010
2. F# user base has grown larger than before, thanks to #1, Microsoft! But unfortunately? (read next)
3. Can't create ASP.NET project template using F# other than C# or VB.
4. Can't create WPF (hence Silverlight) project visually using F# (again, other than using C# or VB)
5. Can't create visual Windows Store app using F#, just like #4.
6. Other IDE such as Eclipse has provided great support and also open architecture using open plugin when dealing with Visual Designer on IDE. Therefore any language running on Eclipse can directly add visual designer support on Eclipse, not just Java and C++. It's also easier to create another visual design support for Eclipse for other programming language.
7. Xamarin has provide us F# support to create ASP.NET project and it has proven that F# is not just for numerical analysis and data centric (e.g. type provider) anymore. This will make VS 2012 less appealing to code F# on ASP.NET directly.
8. If there is other language runs on Visual Studio included as part of VS project templates, there's a large possibility it won't have visual design support other than C# or VB. Even C++ in Visual Studio can't be used to create ASP.NET and WPF projects, for example.

Based on those situations, I propose:
1. Make VIsual Studio's visual designers to be extensible and open enough (it doesn't have to be open source) to be available for other programming language to use. I know this will require large rewrite of current VS visual designer, but this closed and exclusive architecture (closed that it's only available on C# and VB) will provide less productivity when using other languages.
2. In accordance to #1 above, there should be open architecture (can be in form of open API) to simply add visual designer if there;s only small languages at initial releases for the next release of Visual Studio.

A sample use case of # 2 is: if there's VS 2015, the Visual designer support may only be available for C# and VB but the Visual designer can be available to be customized and then further repackaged as complete custom project template with visual designer supports for other language such as F# and can be other languages be another G# or Z# (or whatever) as well as long as it runs on top of .NET CLR.

The term visual designer I mentioned here includes current visual designers we have in VS 2012: ASP.NET Webform, ASP.NET MVC, WPF, Silverlight, Windows Phone, Windows Store.

37 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Eriawan KusumawardhonoEriawan Kusumawardhono shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ChariadiChariadi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yang Penting Simpel, Mudah dan Fitur2 Lengkap Pak.........dan tak Kalah dengan Bahasa Pemograman yang lainnya....
        :D

Saya masi Pemula jadi Belum tau Persis juga.....
        hehehehehe....

Feedback and Knowledge Base