I suggest you ...

Allow ability to disable XML comment warning for auto-generated code files

I want the xml comment warnings for code generated by our developers, because it is in our coding standards to add xml documentation. However, we are using Coded UI, so there are many auto-generated code files included in our project, which clutters up the Error List (when treating warnings as errors) with thousands of errors we have no control over.

I want to be able to turn on the xml comment warnings in general, but disable the xml comment warnings for only code files that are auto-generated that we have no control over.

So, please add one of the following:
1. a way to disable the XML comment warnings for either all auto-generated code
2. a way to disable the XML comment warnings for certain file extensions (.Designer.cs).
3. Auto-generated code to include all xml documentation as to not cause the warnings

55 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    NDDeveloperNDDeveloper shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DuroDuro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My requirement is somehow related to this one.
        I am working in a company where some developers have German Windows and Visual Studio and some have English Windows and Visual Studio. The problem starts when one adds an entry in a resource file, the whole resource file is rebuilt in a language of developers Visual Studio (I guess it is related to VS language). If you open Tortoise for example you will see that the whole .Designer.cs file was changed although you only added one word, one static property is added.
        It would be also nice to have feature to disable automatic generation of comments for those properties, or to have option to select default language for generating comments.

Feedback and Knowledge Base