I suggest you ...

Allow developers to step through .NET Framework sources

Microsoft currently makes reference sources available for major .NET Framework releases. You can use this source in Visual Studio so that you can step through .NET Framework code, like List<T>. That’s very useful in some situations. Unfortunately, .NET Framework servicing updates and small changes to the .NET Framework (like via: Windows Update) break this experience. Let us know if you use this feature and if you want us to fix it such that you can count on it across the lifetime of a .NET Framework release.

2,977 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    shanselmanshanselman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Visual Studio teamAdminVisual Studio team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

Today, we’re happy to announce that we’ve fixed this issue. We’ve also added a few more features, such as an online browsing experience as well as an option to download and browse the entire reference source with Visual Studio.

Check out our blog post that announces the improved .NET Reference Source experience:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dotnet/archive/2014/02/24/a-new-look-for-net-reference-source.aspx

Thanks,
    Alok Shriram
    .NET Framework Team

60 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DickyDicky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok, so at least I was not dreaming about I used to be able to do .NET Famework source code debug stepping. Never thought installing update would break this feature.

• Tom PottsTom Potts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great -- right now I'm struggling trying to get it working at all.
        Additionally, it'd be great if you could use "Go To Definition" on framework calls.

• Scott BrickeyScott Brickey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reflector can do this for a decent chunk of the code out there. Granted, the generated symbol files can be rather large.

• gzakgzak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've had very bad luck pointing VS to sources every time I've tried it. I followed the guide on symbolsource.org numerous times with different VS versions/editions, and invariably I end up with a broken debugging experience rather than attached sources. Worse still, when I reverse the guide the debugger is still broken. I've even reinstalled VS just to restore the debugger.

I'm DEFINITELY voting this up.

• Pavel BransPavel Brans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be very useful. Now .NET source stepping is work bad on my experience. On one my pc it works well, on other it don't(sources not available always) with same settings and updates.

• Martin CorneliusMartin Cornelius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Eventually, having read 'Clean Code', many of us came to this belief: The very best documentation is and will always be - the code ! In this sense, you should definitely fix this !

• Hui LinHui Lin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This capability is absolutely needed by us. After struggling for a couple of days, I gave up and switch to .NET reflector. However, working on dissembled code is not ideal, plus the fact that a lot of the variables we would like to see their values in debugger have been optimized away and not available.

• adangeadange commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! It is very frustrating that it works sometime and not at other times. Usually when I really need it to work...

• AlexKAlexK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

.net reflector allows you decompile code on the fly.

But having latest source code available will make sense.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base