I suggest you ...

Native DirectX 11 support for WPF

in 2013 WPF still work on DX9, and this have a lot of inconvenience. First of all it is almost impossible to make interaction with native DX11 C++ and WPF. Axisting D3DImage class support only DX 9, but not higher and for now it is a lot of pain to attach DX 11 engine to WPF.

Please, make nativa support for DX 11 in WOF by default and update D3DImage class to have possibility to work with nativa C++ DX 11 engine and make render directly to WPF control (controls) without pain with C++ dll.

2,831 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    DenisDenis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DenisDenis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I heared that MS develope new version of WPF, but what will they improve (or not impove) is a mystery for now.

• MEKMEK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is that was it takes for Microsoft to do something, we have to write comments?
        I voted a long time ago but did not write a comment I see that was a mistake :-)

However you decide to make these performance improvements, please do something about WPF because it is still very much used and it needs to evolve.

• Allan LindqvistAllan Lindqvist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Jeremiah
        But the newest D2D is built on DX11 so a move would be needed anyway. Then there are the airspace issues that are now solved for winRT but not wpf. WinRT also allows for swapchain management and low jitter rendering that is not possible with wpf

Please either enable DX11 in wpf or better yet, allow desktop apps to use WinRT xaml

• Jeremiah MorrillJeremiah Morrill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is currently possible to use D3DImage and DX11 via shared resources. You can also use .NET libs like sharpdx so you can use it w/o a C++ DLL.

If I may infer what the message is here, we all want greater graphics performance out of wpf. Simply moving to DX11 will not change this. It would be more beneficial to rewrite milcore to use the latest D2D release which is keeping pace with the latest GPU features.

Realistically this wont happen. At the very least, I would hope for is open sourcing milcore, or enough of it so the community can take it on.

WPF must live because it is the only one modern technology for Windows desktop. Modern UI is unacceptable for complex applications like Visual studio and other similar. So, we desperately need support for DirectX 11 in WPF!

• Alexander OvchinnikovAlexander Ovchinnikov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this suggestion.

Since DirectX 11 supports WARP and can fall back to DirectX 9 / 10 feature levels, and since Windows 7 has the biggest market share and includes DirectX 11 out-of-the-box, WPF can be safely moved to DirectX 11 with some tasty features for older devices (supporting DX 9 / 10).

That should be a great evolution for WPF.

Please, make WPF rendering system based on Direct X 11 and make painless interop with native DX 11.

Feedback and Knowledge Base