I suggest you ...

Visual Studio should be Touch-Friendly

Anyone who has put Visual Studio 2012 on a computer with a touch screen will attest to how bad the environment behaves when attempting to touch the screen.

Visual Studio should include either a full-fledged touch mode or include settings that allow users to take advantage of touch enabled devices.

246 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chris GardnerChris Gardner shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Patrick ZahraPatrick Zahra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if I had to use the pen, putting Windows in left-handed mode STILL doesn't move the scrollbars over. It's like the setting isn't even there. Seriously, how hard is it?

• Ryan NorbauerRyan Norbauer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this doesn't have to be so sophisticated. It would really just be nice to swipe up and down and scroll my text window. On the Surface, it's hard to use the little touch keyboard touchpad to precisely hit the scroll bar at the right.

• Michael TannerMichael Tanner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also ... Though writing code on a touch device may be challenging (especially when not using a physical keyboard), a touch device could be really useful when doing code review. Though Visual Studio is my only IDE, I personally use an iPad as my tablet of choice. So as unexpected as an iOS version of VS would be from Microsoft, that would be absolutely incredible!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Main thing would be to add touch scrolling to all windows, that is most irritating shortcoming. Buttons etc I'm not so worried about.

• Michael TannerMichael Tanner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love the idea of coding on a touch friendly IDE. To pull it off right is an interesting challenge. I spend a lot of time in Visual Studio doing two things: 1) writing code and 2) looking for code. The Intellisense integration in Visual Studio is amazing for navigating complex code libraries. I just wonder how a touch interface can be designed to make Intellisense even more intuitive.

• Steven CreaneySteven Creaney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like a Touch Mode in VS2013 for when I run VS2013 on my Surface Pro. Usually, I just need to run the application and debug why something is failing, and don't want to do it using Remote Debugger. Perhaps give us a simplified menubar and interface for basic running and debugging Windows Store Apps and Web Applications.

• Brandon HBrandon H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not quite sure how I feel about this. On one hand I can understand the need to be able to touch *any* app and they should afford this (eg: Office's "Touch" vs "Pointer" mode button) but on the other hand what are you doing with Visual Studio? Do you ever use it WITHOUT a keyboard attached? WITHOUT a mouse? I certainly don't.

Could really go either way on this, as long as it doesn't go whole-hog and hamper my keyboard/mouse experience.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is a great idea. More and more we are using touch screens. I can think of several great use cases (some already mentioned here)
        . scrolling
        . annotating code
        . UX design (why can't I draw my Windows 8 XAML screens?, Why can't I drag controls around?)
        . window manipulation

• Jim JohnsonJim Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Touch screens are coming in laptop/tablet combos. This is a matter of time. Chrome book supports touch screen click and drag right now. This will come from PC laptop manufacturers before long and the developers will ask for it after that.

• JGJG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When reviewing code on my tablet, it would be much more helpful to swipe up and scroll the view. Now all that happens is that I select text - not what you would expect.

• Danijar HafnerDanijar Hafner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Gary Harper It strongly depends on your environment. On a mobile device, touching the screen is faster than moving the course by track pad. On a desktop machine, I agree that touch doesn't make much sense. Anyway, you shouldn't vote against a feature that makes sense in it's situations. You wouldn't vote against the C++ compiler even if you only code in C#, would you?

• Gary HarperGary Harper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't even reach my screen. I wouldn't have room to put junk on my desk if my monitor was close enough. I vote against touch in general.

Feedback and Knowledge Base