I suggest you ...

Keep WP7.1 and XNA/WP app development in Visual Studio 2013

In the first preview version of Visual Studio 2013 it's no longer possible to develop apps for WP7.1 or XNA WP apps (WP8 works fine). Please keep this platform supported in this new version of Visual Studio, thanks.

463 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Martin SuchanMartin Suchan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • birbilisbirbilis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft shouldn't make it harder for developers who want to keep on supporting their users with fixes of WP7 apps they have purchased

• PedroPedro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems it's a major problem that Microsoft needs to fix.. Because it doesn't make any sense..If there are people that still use it why remove it?
        When I installed VS2013 I though It would be already there for WP7.X but I was wrong...
        So now I need to unistall VS2013 and install 2012 and port my Solutions to VS2012?
        It just stupid...

• Gregor HrastnikGregor Hrastnik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WTF!!! VS2012 is (for me) the best WP developer tool so far. Why ruin it in VS2013, Microsoft?!?!?

All my projects (and projects of my students) are targeting WP7.x if it's possible (if they don't need features of WP8) so we can target a wider audience. Well, all that is gone now, as I (foolishly) installed VS2013 on all computers in my classromm thinking I would make us a favour... :( Think again!

• KRISKRIS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How am I supposed to update the existing WP 7 app?. How am I supposed to create app for all phones (half of them in the market are WP 7). Why some idiots from MS marketing cuts my income. Please, die you brainless creatures.

• Sivaraj TrainingSivaraj Training commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apps built for WP7 still need to be supported by the developers. It's difficult for developers to keep multiple installations of VS. Please keep support for WP7 in VS2013

• AlvaroAlvaro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same application running in WP7/8 and Win8, and lots of projects are PCL's, now I tried to port them to Win8.1 and VS2013, but I can not do it because I will be loosing WP7. It's a pitty I can not migrate to Win8.1

• KarlKarl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This problem is the exact reason I've been using an iPhone since day one. Apple lets you keep your device between O/S upgrades.

Microsoft has done this in the past as well when moving from VS 2003 to VS 2005. They did not bring the mobile templates forward. So the HP device I paid $650 for and was writing programs for, I could no longer do it using VS 2005.

That was the very last day I purchased any Microsoft mobile device. Period.

I was also really mad when I say what they were doing to Windows Phone 7 customers.

Very poor planning... Not much has changed.

• SimonSimon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm adding my support here to return WP7 back to Visual Studio. I've released a game for Windows Phone and found over 70% are using WP7 mobiles.

To add to this installing VS 2013 alongside VS 2010 means 2010 version is broken :(
        Uninstalling VS2013 fixes it again.

• Peter SchmalePeter Schmale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also need to support my customers with Windows Phone 7. Pretending that Phone does not exist does not make it go away.

• Rowdy SchwachöferRowdy Schwachöfer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Crazy choice, with a nonsense comment on MSDevCamp in Houten, NL. WP7 is declining.

Yeah, but WP7 users can't upgrade to WP8. W8 can be upgraded to W8.1.

• Alexey KalininAlexey Kalinin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least add compatibility for portable libraries that target WP7. Otherwise, can't even reuse the libraries

• Henrique DuarteHenrique Duarte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know the numbers, because you insist not share them with us, but here in Brazil we have a lot of WP7 devices and I can't just drop them.
        Most of us are enthusiasts and believed on platform.
        Please, reconsider supporting it again, at least for more one year.

Feedback and Knowledge Base