I suggest you ...

enable changing the order of test cases on the web gui and let them be tested in this order for both manual & automated tests

With the MTM 2012, it is possible to change the order of test cases within one test suite and this order is considered when testing. This functionality is missing in the web environment. It is not possible to order test cases and then have somebody else test them in a specific order. If a test suite is run, the tests are ordered by ID only. Make this work for both manual & automated tests.

388 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Simon NocherSimon Nocher shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    H BH B shared a merged idea: Add Order to column options in the Test section Team Foundation Server  ·   · 
    James ButlerJames Butler shared a merged idea: Add an "order" option in Team Web Access for manual test case execution mimicking the order in MTM  ·   · 
    Joris van de VenJoris van de Ven shared a merged idea: Allow changing order of test cases in requirement based suites  ·   · 
    ChetanChetan shared a merged idea: MTM 2012 doenst support ordering tests that are created from Query Based or Requirement based test suite.  ·   · 
    Adnan AhmadAdnan Ahmad shared a merged idea: I need to be able to Run Tests in Suite from Command Line in order in Microsoft Test Manager  ·   · 
    NarenNaren shared a merged idea: using Command line executing automated test case in a test suite(MTM) based on the order in MTM  ·   · 
    CarlosCarlos shared a merged idea: "Order Test Cases" drag & drop functionality  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Enable ordering of Test Cases connected to User Stories  ·   · 
    Ginger GreavesGinger Greaves shared a merged idea: Add ability to order test cases in a test suite by drag/drop  ·   · 
    Brian AbbottBrian Abbott shared a merged idea: Make the "order" field in MTM actually mean somthing when running automated tests  ·   · 
    Martin RajotteMartin Rajotte shared a merged idea: Add the ability sort test cases inside a Specification based suite  ·   · 
    under review  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

We are currently evaluating this suggestion to be included in the TEST hub group in team web access. We are also wanting to scope the ordering solution to address only the manual test cases present in Static, Query and Requirement-based suites.

For automated test cases, the best practice is not to have dependencies between the automated tests. For folks who need the ordering between different test methods, we recommend using the “Ordered tests” in its current form (we are not planning to enhance the ordered tests in future though).

Thanks
    -Ravi Shanker

31 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John PublicJohn Public commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is sorely missing from web view and rather sad that after bringing this up over two years ago and receiving that many votes all we get is an 'under review'. This feature is direly needed.

@Admin
        I disagree that automated tests should not have dependencies. I understand the motivation for that statement, but testing a few dozen variations of a complex report is way faster when allowing for dependencies because each test case only has to do minor tweaks to data rather than wipe everything clean and spend extensive amounts of time to enter data differently. That is a total waste of resources even when a machine executes the tests. Same with tests that hit services that charge per hit (some geolocation services do that). Preventing unnecessary service calls not only saves time, but also a lot of money!
        Besides that, ordering tests in web view or anywhere else as no impact on independent automated tests. They will run in the set order, but they can run in any order and yield the same effect. So picking just one order will be perfectly fine.
        The more I think about it the more it seems as if this is just some statement to have a bogus reason not to implement this feature. Please prove me wrong!

• Paolo SotgiuPaolo Sotgiu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ordered execution of test is a must have for us in the scope of an automated execution of the regression test. I can't really understand what is the point in supporting it for manual tests and not for automated test (talking about coded UI)...the setup for some tests in our cases will require to duplicate a lot of the logic we already have in other test methods which are normally executed during the script (test the record creation, then the edit and then the removal....)....we will triplicate the lenght of tests and they already require 2 days to complete. At least give us the option to decide to use the ordering or not, as it is available already in MTM. I really miss NUNIT right now....

• Gerhard MatzenGerhard Matzen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not like to use ordered tests for automated tests. This is because the ordered tests is reported as a monolithic pass / fail in MTM. I would much rather see individual test results instead of a monolithic pass / fail.

• Sascha KolbSascha Kolb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you really want to do this only for the Manual Testcases, plesae split this idea and see where the votes go. Thanks

• Sascha KolbSascha Kolb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello @Ravi.
        I dislike the way this Feature is going.

I prrincipal agree that,
        "For automated test cases, the best practice is not to have dependencies between the automated tests"

But, there is options, where this is not feasible, or expensive havin each case Independent.
        We e.g. use Testcases also ón a System Level with a mechatronic System, where bringing it to a inital state (rebooting) is expensive, thats why our AUTOMATIC testcases are dependend. But we want quick Feedback. Thats a trade off.

I would really see a Option to Order ALL Testcases in future also via web.

• SergioSergio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ahora necesito conocer cómo se llama y dónde está ese campo "order" en SQL 2008 para imprimir un reporte... alguien sabe??? gracias

• SergioSergio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes... but in spanish...
        desde el Test Plan hay que crear una Suite, entonces adentro de la Suite vinculás el Requirement... luego, copiás los Test Cases del Requirement sobre la Suite...
        Te posicionás sobre la Suite y arriba a la derecha vas a ver un botón llamado "Order". Hacés click en ese botón, y listo... configurás el orden de los casos de prueba para esa ejecución o las posteriores.
        Saludos

• Dee HuskeyDee Huskey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is there any plan to add the ability to order tests on the web, and if so when? Has a release been scheduled?

• BarnaliBarnali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a very important Feature. It should be implemented as soon as possible.

• CharlesCharles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CUIT automation requires one to point a build at a suite. The test cases were not created in order and but run in the order of the ID not the Order column. So, the tests don't run in the expected order. This creates so many issues from tests failing or having to write the whole test suit over again to get the tests to run in the correct order. This makes CUIT automation virtually useless since it ruins your burn down.

• James MwihiaJames Mwihia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure why Microsoft has ignored this request for so long(since Simon Nocher shared this idea · July 02, 2013).

I'm Using VS TFS 2013 and MTM 2013 and experiencing the same.

It appears that you are able to order test cases in Test Manager; but if you have the ability to create Test Suites and Test Cases in Team Web Access and then execute them shouldn't there be some control over test case ordering.

This is a major and necessary part of Test Planning and Test Case design.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base