I suggest you ...

enable changing the order of test cases on the web gui and let them be tested in this order for both manual & automated tests

With the MTM 2012, it is possible to change the order of test cases within one test suite and this order is considered when testing. This functionality is missing in the web environment. It is not possible to order test cases and then have somebody else test them in a specific order. If a test suite is run, the tests are ordered by ID only. Make this work for both manual & automated tests.

271 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Simon NocherSimon Nocher shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    James ButlerJames Butler shared a merged idea: Add an "order" option in Team Web Access for manual test case execution mimicking the order in MTM  ·   · 
    Joris van de VenJoris van de Ven shared a merged idea: Allow changing order of test cases in requirement based suites  ·   · 
    ChetanChetan shared a merged idea: MTM 2012 doenst support ordering tests that are created from Query Based or Requirement based test suite.  ·   · 
    Adnan AhmadAdnan Ahmad shared a merged idea: I need to be able to Run Tests in Suite from Command Line in order in Microsoft Test Manager  ·   · 
    NarenNaren shared a merged idea: using Command line executing automated test case in a test suite(MTM) based on the order in MTM  ·   · 
    CarlosCarlos shared a merged idea: "Order Test Cases" drag & drop functionality  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Enable ordering of Test Cases connected to User Stories  ·   · 
    Ginger GreavesGinger Greaves shared a merged idea: Add ability to order test cases in a test suite by drag/drop  ·   · 
    Brian AbbottBrian Abbott shared a merged idea: Make the "order" field in MTM actually mean somthing when running automated tests  ·   · 
    Martin RajotteMartin Rajotte shared a merged idea: Add the ability sort test cases inside a Specification based suite  ·   · 

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • James MwihiaJames Mwihia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure why Microsoft has ignored this request for so long(since Simon Nocher shared this idea · July 02, 2013).

I'm Using VS TFS 2013 and MTM 2013 and experiencing the same.

It appears that you are able to order test cases in Test Manager; but if you have the ability to create Test Suites and Test Cases in Team Web Access and then execute them shouldn't there be some control over test case ordering.

This is a major and necessary part of Test Planning and Test Case design.

• Jean-Luc ROUSSELJean-Luc ROUSSEL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ordering of test case is essential as most part of the time TC must be executed in a specific sequence (data flow, ...)

• TamirTamir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Enable ordering of Test Cases connected to User Stories is a very impotent and will cause us not using MTM at all

• EricFieldsEricFields commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I noticed 5 votes under "Enable ordering of Test Cases connected to User Stories" which I believe is asking for the same thing - the ability to order test cases in Requirement and Dynamic based test suites. Shouldn't these be merged along with their votes.

The inability to order test cases in a Requirement Test Suite is the reason we will not be able to make use of the Requirement Test Suite.

• Tal Tal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is more than just being useful. This is a basic thing when creating test cases. In many caes testers don't create the tests in the order they want to execute them. Having the option to change the order is Imperative.

• LarsLars commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This regards to all query based suites! It would be beneficial to always be able to change the order of test cases in any environment. The dynamic traceability benefit of query based suites is a great feature, but is bottlenecked by the lack of this feature.

• Matthias VanhollebekeMatthias Vanhollebeke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is something that would be very usefull to have in a new version of test professional. If you want to work with test cases in a good way, you need to add them to a requirement and right now this is not possible

Feedback and Knowledge Base