I suggest you ...

Make CodeLens Available Outside of Ultimate

CodeLens is one of the most existing new features in Visual Studio 2013. Restricting it to Ultimate is a mistake. Make this available to at least Premium, and to Professional if at all possible!

3,468 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    HaroldHarold shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all for sharing your feedback and for voting on this suggestion. We are continuously reviewing and evaluating our SKU model to determine if there is a need for change driven by market conditions. At this time we have no plans to extend CodeLens beyond Visual Studio Ultimate. We are declining this suggestion so your votes can be used on other suggestions.

Doug Seven
    Visual Studio Team

95 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep, CodeLens is a dev tool. Should be available to developers not using Ultimate... Good 3rd party opportunity to build it though.

• DevDev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

huh^^ wait..i dont get the point

codelens is a feature which is targeted to improve team development?

Ultimate is a SKU mostly for architects, senior lead devs etc.

codelens only makes sense if the whole team make use of it.

which company uses ultimate for all its developers?

If you say the TFS part of codelens is only available for an Ultimate TFS, than fine. But for all clients?

anyway bad decision :(

Ultimate cost more. A lot more. They need SOMETHING to make it worth the money. If not this then what?

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What an awful decision...way to go Microsoft. Oh well, I'm sure some extension from Telerik or Jetbrains will pop-up someday.

• Craig KennedyCraig Kennedy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Boo...

Is this something that anyone sees opening up (even by other vendors) since Roslyn is now open source?

Please make this available for Premium and Professional developers. The feature is amazingly helpful and demonstrates leadership by Microsoft in innovation. Other IDEs no doubt imitate it because it is a great idea. I understand you after having charged people an additional amount of money for extra features, turning around and giving them away could be lead to resentment. I propose that Visual Studio 2014 include this feature for all versions except express.

• Nestor ReyesNestor Reyes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an awesome tool. Should be in at least Premium. Seems like an odd choice to make it Ultimate only

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Visual Studio is an amazing tool for one simple reason - visibility into your code with features such as Intellisense, Solution Explorer, Class View...nobody else provides as rich an environment (IMHO anyway).

I see CodeLens as a progression of the functionality that was provided via Interactive Tooltips in VS 2010 Power productivity tools...since has been removed from the power tools extension for 2012 and 2013. Since VS' claim to fame is visibility into the code - what makes "Visual" studio stand out from the others, CodeLens should be a standard feature for the product.

Something else for MS to keep in mind: CodeLens is not selling more copies of Ultimate - Azure credits and diagramming tooling does. Make CodeLens available to the masses, otherwise you developed another great tool for nothing.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base