I suggest you ...

Visual Studio Tools for Git Extension (Microsoft Git Provider) integration with Source Control Explorer window

The major feature that is still missing from the Microsoft Git Provider is to integrate it with the Source Control Explorer window to provide a full featured Git repository UI that will rival third party tools in it's feature set.

A great example of the ideal functionality is the Git Extensions main user interface. It allows changing repositories and branches, stashing changes, committing code and push/pull operations. It also provides a great visual diagram showing the commit history for the selected repository and where each branch (local and origin) is in relation to the head. It also allows you to view the entire file tree for the selected commit along with the changes made in the commit (the Diff tab).

Source Control Explorer already has very similar functionality when working with the TFS source control plug-in. Almost all of those features in Git Extensions can be tied to a similar feature found in Source Control Explorer for TFS. Providing similar functionality to Git Extensions in the Source Control Explorer window when using the Microsoft Git Provider would go a long way to providing a robust IDE for use with Git that is a core feature of Visual Studio.

96 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    BryanBryan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do this. The whole thing you guys seem to be going for these days is doing everything inside Visual Studio (think ASP.NET Browser Links, SSMS inside VS, etc.). It's super inconvenient that I have to go to a website to interact with TFS when I have been using the source control explorer for years.

I'm guessing that this feature was deferred because other features were more important, but there's always VS2013 SP1...

In general, I love the Git support. Keep up the great work!

Feedback and Knowledge Base