I suggest you ...

Native multi-editing (multiple cursors and selections) support

Multiple selections/cursors in Sublime Text is by far the most useful editor feature I have in my toolbox. Using search and replace in Visual Studio is slow and unwieldy in comparison and I find myself frequently copying blocks of text into Sublime Text just to perform versatile edits using multiple cursors, after which I copy the result back into Visual Studio.

A future version of Visual Studio would win huge points with this feature alone.

273 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nathan RidleyNathan Ridley shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nathan RidleyNathan Ridley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Milan - let's keep this on topic. Sublime's search and navigation features are not the topic of discussion, and their level of superiority is debatable anyway.

@jerone - the multi-editing extension is not a workaround, any more than microsoft paint is a workaround for photoshop.

• Milan SenesiMilan Senesi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must have. SublimeText does many things so much better and easier. Navigation to files/symbols is a blast, search is incredibly fast too. UI is much simpler and more convenient.

• Hrusikesh PandaHrusikesh Panda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hard to imagine basic text editors such as SublimeText, Atom are kicking Visual Studio's ***. Of all useless improvements that MS prioritizes, this one would actually be something worthwhile!

• John SmithJohn Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree whole-heartedly with the need for this in Visual Studio AND with the assessment that the available extension doesn't come close to being what is needed. Sublime Text implements this perfectly - it really is difficult to live without out this feature once you've had a taste of it.

• Joshua RochaJoshua Rocha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm getting the MultiEditing extension now, but I agree with Nathan. It's extremely limited, and there's no reason Microsoft's team couldn't implement this natively in VS.

I mean, if the ragtag Sublime Text team can do it, I'm sure a powerhouse like MS could do it.

Here's an example of the sort of workflow enabled by true multiple cursor support:
        http://bit.ly/Lt3gAK

Note the fact that I can make a selection, then either select everything that is the same as what is under my cursor, or I can incrementally add subsequent matches to the list of selections. Editing and selection operations are applied to all cursors independently. I am aware that Visual Studio only has the concept of a single cursor and that this may be a limitation in the way that VS talks to extensions, but perhaps it is possible to have a "primary" cursor which extensions (e.g. ReSharper's Intellisense override) applies to, with the actual selected edits still applying to all cursors.

The MultiEditing extension is extremely limited and barely covers 10% of the utility of a true implementation of multiple cursors.

• Scott YatesScott Yates commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please, this is a REALLY important part of my flow as well. Being able to quickly highlight a word and press control-d repeatedly till I have all the selections I want, then type away with multi-cursors is just amazingly productive and feels game changing.

Feedback and Knowledge Base