I suggest you ...

Set the default for "Run when build error occurs" to "Do not launch"

The remarkably useless option to run the old version when a build error occurs is the first VS prompt a user sees when there is a build error for the first time after installation. It is annoying especially because it is totally useless but recently I started teaching programming to beginners and this option is a BIG issue. Most people are used to checking the "don't bother me anymore" checkbox and then clicking "yes" on dialogs. You can imagine the mess this causes for a beginner who doesn't even know why his changes (which do not compile) do not affect his program. Finally I have yet to see or hear about someone who wants to run the old build when the new one does not compile. I believe such a person does not exist.

169 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    StilgarStilgar shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andy NeillansAndy Neillans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree; this dialog is completely pointless.

Warren: The error panel will automatically appear if there are build errors and it's not visible (assuming you click No on the dialog!).

• JeroenJeroen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just show me the errors that caused this build to fail so i can fix them and run again.

• WarrenWarren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I actually don't want this dialog at all. Don't just default to not launching. Just don't do anything. Maybe make the error panel visible if it's hidden.

Feedback and Knowledge Base