I suggest you ...

Make the installation of Visual Studio light-weight and fast

What?
Installing Visual Studio takes too long

Why?
There's a lot of stuff that the VS installer installs that I probably never is going to use.

Proposal:
Make modules and packages install when needed. The Office-install has had this option for ages, where you can deceide whether you want to install a feature a) now, b) when needed, or c) never. That way the basic install will probably be a lot faster and it will take up less space on our drives (how many terabytes of never-used-features do you think VS is accumulating worldwide?).

I belive you already have the package system to handle this (nuget), so eat some of your own dogfood and show us that the package system can handle app installs as well :)

26 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kjetil KlaussenKjetil Klaussen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gary HarperGary Harper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do. I do NOT want all of that SQL Server stuff on my machine! I'm just using Visual C++!

• Jeff RelfJeff Relf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amen, I don't want to wait hours for Visual Studio to install 17 giga-bytes of **** I DO NOT WANT on my tiny SSD. I want the text editor, my extensions/macros, the compiler/linker, and little else. No SQL ****, etc. ! ! !

Feedback and Knowledge Base