I suggest you ...

Visual Studio for Mac Os x

Dear Madam and sir;

We need Full Version of Visual Studio for Mac Os x.
And language of programming such as:

-C
-C++
-C#
-VB
-F#
-HTML
-MHTML

Thanks,

1,438 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    M.TLabM.TLab shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

38 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LlLl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That is right. Microsoft should also provide services for Mac Users.

• Steve WoodSteve Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use a mac for mobile development with Xamarin Studio. Whilst it does lack many of the lazy developer features found in VS it still does the job exceptionally well. Yes, it does take some getting used to but I haven't had any major issues at all and it beats writing Java in Emacs on Linux.

I still use VS2013 inside a windows VirtualBox VM for those times on client sites where I positively, absolutely need it for corporate web/application development.

VS is too tightly integrated into the windows framework to extract and implement on the mac (bsd) platform and as Microsoft's primary goal is making money they aren't going to use resources on redeveloping such a huge application for a limited market. If the market analysts over at MS thought there was a market to exploit then we'd have seen an OSX version by now. MS seem content in passively supporting Xamarin.

• Dean ChalkDean Chalk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OK, here's my situation. Like any successful mobile developer, I have a Mac. If I want to write apps for the most important (profitable) platforms (IOS and Android) I need a Mac - so I have one.
        I live in OSX for all my IOS and Android development. All my tools and associated apps are all setup nicely in OSX, and development is a breeze.

I would like to write more Windows mobile apps (I have done a couple). However, in order to do this I need to run Visual Studio in a VM and use Parallels Coherence to try and make it any sort of nice combined development environment. To be honest - it isnt a great experience - fraught with complications and difficulties. So the question is - is it worth it ?

There's another aspect to this. In my day job, I am a Windows WPF/XAML developer, and have been for some time. I know C# very well, so my Mac IDE for IOS/Android/Mac development is Xamarin.
        I'd love to include Windows Mobile in the list of platforms I can target when I fire up Xamarin Studio in OSX. Unfortunately I have to (again) use visual studio in a VM to do this) and upgrade my Xamarin in a way that is cost prohibitive) - not great.

I assume that Xamarin don't include Windows mobile in their OSX Studio product because there are no emulators that run on OSX for these mobile platforms ?

The solution to all of this cranky madness, is to build a lightweight (mobile only) version of Visual Studio for OSX that includes the necessary emulators.
        With this there is not need to spin up temperamental virtual machines that grind everything to a halt and thrash the battery.

It kinda makes sense that Windows Mobile is only at 4% market share. If you are an IOS/Android developer the pain of using Visual Studio outweighs the tiny rewards available by writing for Windows mobile.

I think a Mac IDE will revolutionize Microsoft's ability to attract the experienced and profitable segment of the mobile developer community)

• Marc SMarc S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I would love to see it, I don't think it will happen.

If you want to go truly cross platform, consider moving to JAVA.

Code in the cloud for mobile app development ??? seriously ???? I really don't think I've heard of anything so utterly ridiculous. Obstacles for getting this done - some - sure, but what are the benefits ? All those Mac based app developers have a massively reduced friction in terms of developing for the windows mobile platforms.

• John BaileyJohn Bailey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sorry, but this is a ridiculous request for which there is really no need. Setting aside the obvious obstacles to implementing this (which any developers that work in .Net should really be aware of), but what motivation would Microsoft have to do this?

Visual Studio "Monaco" will be the way this gets implemented. Building the code in the cloud is the obvious way to go cross platform and allows them to deliver a single feature set that is usable across the Mac, Windows and Linux platforms.

Another issue with not having a Mac IDE - The only C# cross platform Mac IDE is Xamarin - wihch is fabulous for creating IOS and Android apps on a Mac with Microsofts C#. Do they have windows phone / RT support in this neat little Mac IDE ? - No. Why ? because they have a Visual Studio plugin (which costs a ridiculous amount of money to use), that needs to run in Parallels VM on a Mac. Persuade Xamarin to put Windows Phone /RT support in their own Mac IDE, and problem solved (assuming they are willing to forgo their insane prices for visual studio integration)

Lets face it, if you're developing mobile, your on a Mac, that's because the 2 biggest platforms (IOS / Android) can both be developed for on a single machine - a Mac. If you want IOS / Android developers to come to Windows Store and Phone development, then stop making them run visual studio inside virtual machines and give them the Visual Studio IDE and emulators for Mac. This would be a massive win for Microsoft in popularising their flagging mobile technology efforts. You don't even need to call it Visual Studio, if your worried about freaking out your existing customers, just call it Mobile Studio or something. Get on with it !!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

M$ just needs to go away!! {MS: treadmill; 30 solutions for precisely the same problems over and over and over; }.

Nearly 30yrs of FUD and deflecting has had the net effect of retarding industry progress!.
        Where's M$ architecture strategy? wait there is none .... it's called "fragmented".
        There's nothing left, it's old and spent!

Actually send all of Redmon to India!!

• Luke PuplettLuke Puplett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More and more young and old people are buying a Mac for a work machine. Companies are even using MacBook laptops and BYOD.

.NET and Azure is then ruled out as a choice for these people as a development ecosystem. .NET could sink with the Windows\PC ship.

• martinmartin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The vs ide might be more of a challenge to port than the dot net framework. lots of com and wpf in the ide. I would recommend pushing for a cross platform dot net framework first and then worry about the ide after that is done. We know you can do it MS as you have done it before with an older version of the dot net framework...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=14124

"The Shared Source CLI is a compressed archive of the source code to a working implementation of the ECMA CLI and the ECMA C# language specification. This implementation builds and runs on Windows XP, the FreeBSD operating system, and Mac OS X 10.2."

• Michael TannerMichael Tanner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! I totally agree. I run Windows 8.1 on a virtual machine on my Macbook Air. I love the setup of having both Windows and Mac simultaneously. And running Visual Studio via Windows in a VM is amazingly fast. But the virtual machine cuts the battery life in half.

I've often wished I could open Visual Studio directly on my Mac. That would be amazing!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base