I suggest you ...

Embrace Grunt, Yeoman & Bower for Javascript development

It would be nice if you embraced and baked in support for Grunt, Yeoman and Bower in Visual Studio (tooling).A node.js command window would also be great. (e.g. something like the NuGet Package Manager window etc.)

249 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Lars WilhelmsenLars Wilhelmsen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Adrian BonniciAdrian Bonnici commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot understand how Microsoft has overlooked the integration of these tools for client-side JavaScript development in their latest release of Visual Studio. After using WebStorm IDE I can say that using Grunt, Yeoman, Bower and Node.js together in a project has been a seamless experience which is available out of the box.

• Ken SmithKen Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, improved bower support would be quite helpful. You can sort of make it work now, but it's really hacky and unreliable. NuGet is great, but all the cool JavaScript packages ship with support for Bower, and their NuGet support is either unofficial or buggy or way behind or all of the above.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree! I much prefer using bower for managing my client-side packages over NuGet, and grunt is one of the most indespensible tools in my workflow. It would be really nice to get some tooling around those baked in.

Yeoman is really great too, but i can understand the struggle with integrating it gracefully into the VS workflow. It essentially executes project templates, which would be somewhat redundant for VS, though i do like using it for certain types of applications. If MS were to commit to a Yeoman workflow and produce templates for it, make it easy to generate a yeoman template from a project/solution, etc. then i could see the benefit, but i don't see that happening anytime soon. Might be a nice extension for someone to build.

For the node tools, check out the node.js tools for visual studio.

https://nodejstools.codeplex.com/

Feedback and Knowledge Base