Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ScottLanghamScottLangham shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

35 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AleksAleks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

260 characters - that is like 640k of memory. This restriction was ridiculous even when while it was introduced! This is plain bug and costs more time and money than all the productivity Windows possibly provides.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

shouldn't even have to ask for this...this isn't even a feature request ....
        this is a ignored bug a relic from the Ancient times of windows

someone should be assigned to.
        1) force the error track it down , i.e. find the line
        were the path file length limit = 260
        2) then set it to like 2,600 or something
        so we never have to worry about it again in our lifetimes
        3) stick the fix in the next windows update

• ReidcaReidca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have just tested Windows Server 10 technical preview build 9481 (which is Windows version 6.4) and I am astonished and disappointed to say this limitation still exists in the operating system so there is no chance of it being fixed in Visual Studio or TFS.

Here is hoping this is going to be resolved before the final release however this is such a low level thing you would think it would be in the preview.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys come on, in the year 2014 we are talking about 260 character limits... this is ridiculous.

• Jim PalavrosJim Palavros commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can anyone confirm that the "Long Path Tool" Software really works? If so, can I get a link. I don't want to play around with any downloads that may have different intentions.

Thanks

• William BosackerWilliam Bosacker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey All, this "Long Path Tool" does absolutely nothing for us, and the author of the tool spams it all over the place, like the message below. This issue has been around for over 12 years, so I have created an issue on Microsoft Connect to fix this BUG! If everyone would go to the URL below, login, and Click the up arrow to vote for this, Microsoft will be forced to respond. While these uservoice forums are helpful, they aren't actually tracked in Microsoft's issue system. Microsoft Connect is the public portal to their issue system. PLEASE VOTE!

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedbackdetail/view/932051/long-filepaths-260-characters-are-not-supported

• FGranadosFGranados commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hello
        you are welcome
        Long Path Tool is the most appropriate program to sort out such issues

• Colin BowernColin Bowern commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think you need to start chipping away at this problem. Node.js re-introduces this as well:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23351294/file-path-character-limit-error-in-windows-and-node-app
        https://github.com/joyent/node/issues/6960#issuecomment-46704998

I had to write a TFS build activity that could handle cleaning up node modules:

https://gist.github.com/colinbowern/bde095da68f6ee47d296

• Omar RashwanOmar Rashwan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's absolutely ridiculous that I can't create a directory without running into a character limit. All other operating systems don't have this archaic restriction, especially not in this millennium. I would gladly sacrifice any features we miss out on in the time it takes to fix this bug.

@anthonyk: LPT does nothing to extend TFS or VS. LPT is a stand alone application for managing your file system. It does nothing to allow TFS or VS to access long filepaths, which is the purpose of this idea.

• anthonykanthonyk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

Simply download new Long Path Tool software that simply allows you to work easily on Long Path files.

Thank you.

With the release of Windows XP over ten years ago, Windows has supported a file path length of 32,768 characters where each individual folder/file segment name is limited to 256 characters, and the Windows API has supported this from day 1. There is absolutely no valid reason, or excuse, that for over 10 years the .NET Framework still does not support this. The same goes for TFS, which should have supported this on it initial release.

It would be AWESOME if you at Microsoft would pull your heads out of your ***** and fix this. Steve Ballmer is out! Who is the next person that needs to be removed to get this accomplished? Business as usual just won't cut it any longer.

• Eric BrownEric Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The vote count continues to climb on this suggestion. It is my hope that Microsoft will decide that simply declining this suggestion is only going to result in yet another suggestion of the same type to be created. This cycle will likely repeat itself until Microsoft decides enough is enough and dedicate development resources to correcting this ridiculous issue. Thanks!

Fix this problem!
        We waste a lot of time before supposing compile errors are caused by this bound.

no no.. its just the old Microsoft style of doing things.. i.e. Destroying anything useful.. and Selling the destroyed thing after some improvements..

• AdaminkoAdaminko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have you tried using the Long Path Tool? Its sure to come in very handy in such situations.

I was going to do the very same thing, essentially copy and paste the previous item, only I was going to add: "DON'T IGNORE US: Fix 260 character file name length limitation" for the title. :D Scott was much nicer.

Don't just ignore the MASSIVE outcry (Just look at the # of votes on the previous link along with the rather lame excuse as to why it cant be fixed by Will Buik) Don't ignore us, Microsoft NEEDS developers to stay alive. Over 3k votes, another 810 on this one, it would be a grave mistake for you to reply with the same lame excuse.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base