Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ScottLanghamScottLangham shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

93 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2016 and it's still ******** to have a 260 char path limit. We keep running into this problem all the time on our Windows build system. As for the negativity, you're welcome, as Windows has been sitting on rotten eggs for quite a while now and all we got out of that is Metro, which nobody asked for.

• William BosackerWilliam Bosacker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FYI, the changes to .NET Core have been completed: https://gist.github.com/cartermp/e2950be56ef3341ade56

My best guess would be that it will take up to a year for this to propagate to all of Microsoft's products, and hopefully ALL versions of the .NET Framework. As stated in the proposal for this fix, making this change should have zero effect on existing code. Adding the code to the framework will just make everything silently "Work".

This only affects .NET applications, it does not affect C++ applications which have had this ability since 2002.

• Markus HopfenspirgerMarkus Hopfenspirger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another 3 Month over... Hello Immo Landwerth - any news on this? Especially: did you get any feedback from the windows team?

• perforatorperforator commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You created the problem, so the correct decision would be to:
        STOP WHINING, SUCK IT UP AND FIX IT !!!!

Or maybe you would like to bring back the 640K RAM limit ?

• ReidcaReidca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bitten again by this issue today. I am so sick and tired of wasting my time dealing with this issue. I cannot count how many lost hours I have spent fixing something which just should not be a problem anymore.

All the jazzy features in the world are not going to make real world users tolerate this issue. Modern software requires complex paths to describe it. Microsoft, you know this and yet there is still no sign of a fix. I am so frustrated I could explode, This has been going on for years and years. I good write up (from 2007!!) which a promise to fix it "soon" can be found here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/bclteam/2007/02/13/long-paths-in-net-part-1-of-3-kim-hamilton/

Suggestion, stop developing nice to have features that people can live without and spend sometime fixing an issue which causes users pain every day.

I noticed that the Windows User voice site and the Microsoft Connect sites that mention this issue have all been removed so this is pretty much the only place where this issue is still visible although it's not really a "Visual Studio" problem.

• Vladimir SvyatskiVladimir Svyatski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, Microsoft, wake up, it's 2016 out there. 260 characters limitation is obsolele. I understand your care about corporate customers with their archaic software, but hear the people who cares about the future. Have you already forgot Ballmer with his "Developers! Developers! Developers!.. Yes!"?

Honest to ****. I'd love to build a drive indexer to hash all the files on all my drives every which way and perform mindboggling set analysis across drives to ensure all my files are backed up, deduplicated on a single drive, etc.... but I can't trust that .NET won't fail 100K files into the operation because a ****ing path is TOO LONG... just like how overdue this fix is. It's 2015 for ***** sake; it's been over a decade!!!! I am not messing with "\\?\" syntax and a half-functional API.

If I could, I'd add 9999999 votes to this. This is an epic failure, I cannot sum it up in any other way. If this persists with Windows in the future, we will consider dropping it. Products get more and more complex and you cannot justify not fixing it in any way.

• Immo Landwerth [MSFT]Immo Landwerth [MSFT] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> You're addressing the issue at the .NET level? That's the wrong layer, and won't help any of the native code out there. At best it's a token effort.

No worries. We're working with the Windows team to see what could be done there, too.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The big driver for this was Node, or more specifically npm, which put dependencies of each package into a subdirectory, and ended up creating hugely nested folder structures that were untenable under Windows. But strangely enough, node has recently mitigated this problem with the release of Node 5.0.0, which also includes npm 3.0. The latest version of npm 3.0 no longer nests paths, so the long pathname issue in Windows becomes moot. In fact, one reason npm 3.0 reordered the paths was specifically to mitigate the long pathname problem in Windows.

So I guess the pressure to address the problem immediately is lessened. Kudos on addressing it though - long pathnames should not be insurmountable within Windows.

• gigaplexgigaplex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You're addressing the issue at the .NET level? That's the wrong layer, and won't help any of the native code out there. At best it's a token effort.

Fix it! This comes off as a fundamental OS issue! What else can Microsoft do right, if they can't get the file system right?

Turning off your developer community is a major step towards your demise.

• Markus HopfenspirgerMarkus Hopfenspirger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need to be fixed in Windows 10 Explorer or Windows 10 in general too... See Windows User Voice (also over 3400 votes) https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/6573539-remove-the-long-standing-max-path-limitation

And Windows insider Program: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_files/when-will-maxpath-be-fixed/28423cff-c2d2-48e4-a573-1d56799db338

Reasons:
        - Visual Studio produces very long file paths e.g. when using Service References witch lead to problems using TFS Builds
        - Many Open Source Projects are not limited to MAX_PATH
        - Many cloud storage systems are not limited to MAX_PATH
        - Customers using document management Systems complain more and more about not being able to sync with Windows
        - Zip or other Archive Files are not limited to MAX_PATH and can not be Opened wir Windows Explorer and can not be unpacked on Windows

I see, that removing the Limit is not an easy task, but it has to be done in the near future!!!

• OmarOmar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And you want me to buy a surface book. :)

Hey news flash, the problem with the surface book isn't the hardware. It's windows. Because of stupid **** like this.

... written on my Macbook Pro

No worries, I'll just convince my employer to get off Windows Server 2012 and onto linux. Your right Microsoft, this isn't important.

• Josh WilliamsJosh Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

*Releases badass support for Node in VS*

*Cant create / run Node projects in VS due to insane pathing in node_modules*

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base