I suggest you ...

Make data accessible via APIs for custom processing

Application Insights sounds cool but I can't imagine having all my data locked up behind a portal without an ability to programmatically access it or at least download it for offline processing. I'm sure the portal is awesome but I'm also sure that there will be project-specific types of insight I need to get out of this data which the portal won't sufficiently support. Making data accessible outside the portal lets you get around that concern while continuing to improve the product.

269 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Robert LevyRobert Levy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gopal RanderGopal Rander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice Idea. I was looking for something like this. It can help us in getting the data which is more meaningful to us. We can mine the raw streaming feed for various timed events and then calculate avarage response time for that event.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. It would be ideal to access this via an API so I could then comingle these analytics with analytics from other platforms which are not being monitored by App Insights.

• Bret Grinslade (msft)Bret Grinslade (msft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very valuable discussion. We are looking at the best ways to enable this kind of functionality. I take the thread to say that there are two main types of access. One, allow me to grab the curated data in the UI (as Kyle mentions). Two, pull out raw data for specific issues to do detailed analysis and mining.

• Alex OdintsovAlex Odintsov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to download performance data is mission critical for post-mortem analysis and other analytical reviews which will define an effort of development and DevOps teams to work on further application optimization and stress test KPIs. Until then, it is very nice toy and I wish I could use. If I have to log all that data (which I do now) on-prem, then the need for this feature is greatly reduced and I wont be able justify paying for this service.

• Shashank BansalShashank Bansal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to access processed data i.e. stuff that gets shown on the portal would be more important (and probably safer) than getting lower level data.

This is true assuming the processing (aggregation) does not shield information away.

• Bret Grinslade (msft)Bret Grinslade (msft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is the scenario more about getting lower level data and doing additional custom processing or accessing the data you an see in the portal via APIs (as Kyle mentions).

If it is both, which is more important to do first?

Feedback and Knowledge Base