I suggest you ...

Add "Ignore users" option when publishing SSDT project

You need to add an "Ignore users" option when publishing Sql Server Data Tools projects. You have this option on import. The ideal solution would be to reuse the same include/exclude objects dialog from import.

This is a major problem for us, and obviously for more than us: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/aa87ac52-d7b1-40e3-b6d0-063472b127df/how-to-ignore-users-in-vs-11-sql-server-database-project-publish?forum=vstsdb

Regards,

Morten

65 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Steve ReiterSteve Reiter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The publish feature of Visual Studio is completely useless to us without this. There are no work arounds that maintain an appropriate level of security on our database.

We are a small team and as the lead developer I need to be able to publish changes to our test database which resides on the same database server as the production databases. The only way to accomplish this is to remove all uses from the visual studio project so that all users are deleted on publish and then re-added with a post-deployment script and SQLCMD variables. This means that I must have essentially SA access at the server level otherwise the publish fails when my user is removed from the DB permissions. This means that I also then have full access to our production DB and a slight mistake (such as forgetting to change the DB connection string during development) could have dire consequences.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As mentioned before. Logins and user may be different between different environments. DEV has development logins and users, TEST has test logins and users and PROD has neither development or test logins and users.

Feedback and Knowledge Base