I suggest you ...

Add support for desktop apps to Application Insights

Currently Application Insights only supports Phone, Win Store, and Web/server applications. Please add support for WinForms/Console/WPF (desktop) applications as well.

331 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Patrick CreehanPatrick Creehan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gary HowlettGary Howlett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1 and 2 for me. We have windows service applications so would be nice that I could report on activity within there. Custom metrics and performance.

• GuyGuy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Darshan, 1 is the most important followed by 2. I don't think doing 3 would be useful

• Moshe AshkenaziMoshe Ashkenazi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Rahul Bagaria,

Using the endpoints manually in a desktop application is good enough seen from my perspective.

Thanks for the comment!

• Darshan Desai (Microsoft)Darshan Desai (Microsoft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello all,

We want to make sure our understanding about this feature request is correct. Can you please look at the options below and reply telling us the scenario that's most important to you:

1. Use Application Insights SDK to track usage metrics/events and exceptions for desktop apps.
        2. Use Application Insights SDK to track performance metrics (ex: app load time) for desktop apps.
        3. Use an Application Insights agent on the machines that run desktop apps, to understand the usage of various apps in your organization.
        4. Other (please specify)

Can you please reply back with the scenario that's most important for you wrt desktop apps?

This will help us prioritize correctly, and deliver support for desktop apps sooner.

Thanks again for your feedback and your patience.

Darshan Desai
        Senior Program Manager, Application Insights team

• GuyGuy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This. I really hate that Microsoft has given up on desktop development. Everything they release nowadays is for windows store apps and windows phone first (which is kinda ridiculous when you consider the amount of people using those vs the number of people developing and using desktop apps). It's like desktop developers are just an after thought.

• NitinNitin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Rahul,

Do you have API/SDK to call for workaround application insights for desktop application. when can I access from?

Thanks,
        Nitin

• Rahul Bagaria (Microsoft)Rahul Bagaria (Microsoft) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for logging the suggestion. We do have plans around developing an SDK for Desktop applications but I do not have any timescale as to that.
        If the endpoints are documented, would it be sufficient in near term for you to call them manually to use AI in Desktop Apps?

Feedback and Knowledge Base