I suggest you ...

F5 hotkey should run the application, not refresh various views

The menu says that "Start Debugging" is F5. However, more and more of the views in VS grab F5 for their own evil ends.

While this is consistent with Explorer and Internet Explorer, it is wrong and annoying. F5 has for many years been defined in VS as "Start Debugging".

For F5 to work in VS2013 you have to have a source code file open and click in it to give it focus before pressing F5. I am now constantly finding myself refreshing Team Explorer, Pending Changes, etc etc instead of running the program I'm developing. If I make the mistake of closing all my source code windows and then decide to run the program, I actually have to locate a source code file and load it before I can run using the run hotkey.

This is probably the most used hotkey in the whole IDE. Please stop all the other views stealing it to do an operation that should never be needed in the first place (refresh pending changes never does anything useful because it always keeps itself up to date!)

36 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jason WIlliamsJason WIlliams shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Tom KerkhoveTom Kerkhove shared a merged idea: Shortcut for "Starting a new instance" of the Startup project  ·   · 

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Maria Ghiondea - MSFTMaria Ghiondea - MSFT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

F5 was bound to refresh when Team Explorer was redesigned to have a more web-like navigation model with back/forward buttons and lots of links inside the pages. The majority of users requested this and the users who don’t like it can still unbind it in their settings:

go to Tools\Options\Environment\Keyboard
        You’ll want to select View.Refresh as the command name, and choose “F5 (Team Explorer)” in the Shortcuts for selected command combobox. Then click Remove. This will unbind View.Refresh from the F5 key in the Team Explorer keyboard namespace.

• Xavier DecosterXavier Decoster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can assign a shortcut to the ClassViewContextMenus.ClassViewProject.Debug.StartNewInstance in Tools>Options>Environment>Keyboard.
        I used CTRL+S+N for instance.

Worked for me :)

• Tom KerkhoveTom Kerkhove commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well it's not really a TFS-issue but I think that rightclicking your project > Debug > Start New Instance should get a shortcut so that you'll work faster if you just want to build that single application that is your "Startup project"

Feedback and Knowledge Base