I suggest you ...

Provide VB.NET Templates for developing Universal Apps

As we all know, universal apps are the future in windows and apps market. Though, Universal Apps template is not available on Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 RC. So, please make it available as there are more developers in VB.NET than we think.

368 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ravi VaderaRavi Vadera shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

Hey all,

If you haven’t seen it already, VB Language PM, Lucian Wischik has put together a great series on building Universal Apps for Windows Phone and Store using Visual Basic on the Visual Basic Team Blog.

Check it out @ http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vbteam/archive/2014/06/15/vb-universal-app-part-2-for-the-developer-sharing-xaml-assets-and-code.aspx

The benefit of a Universal app to consumers is that when an app in the Windows Store and an app in the Windows Phone Store share an identity purchases for either count as purchases for both. That’s a great experience for users that VB developers can build today in their own apps. Lucian walks through how to set this up in your VB solutions in the first post of his series: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vbteam/archive/2014/06/15/vb-universal-app-part-1-getting-started.aspx

When building Universal apps (or any app that targets multiple platforms/devices), reuse is the name of the game and through Portable Class Libraries and linked files Visual Basic developers already have two powerful tools in their toolbox for sharing code and XAML between apps for Windows Phone and Windows Store and Lucian’s second post demonstrates the use of these: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vbteam/archive/2014/06/15/vb-universal-app-part-2-for-the-developer-sharing-xaml-assets-and-code.aspx

The Universal templates introduced in Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 make use of Shared Projects – a new concept introduced in Update 2 which abstracts over a collection of linked files automatically included in other projects – which will be supported for Visual Basic in Visual Studio “14”. However, this feature is independent of the ability to build Universal apps for Windows Phone and Store in a productive and efficient manner which Visual Basic developers already have today.

Regards,

Anthony D. Green, Program Manager, Visual Basic and C# Languages Team

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As noted by Oleg, the majority of colleges use languages with C++ and Java syntax languages. I was a Computer Science major at a university and a community college. The university used C++ and Java (and they showed us a little bit of JavaScript too), but then I transferred to a community college due to medical problems, where they used VB.NET. It makes it kind of ironic that medical are what gave me the opportunity to learn .NET, because otherwise I would have never ended up spending all the time learning using Visual Studio that I did, and probably wouldn't even be a developer now. But the interesting thing is that I was a student employee at the university for their web site, and they used classic ASP, which shows that even at universities that teach using C++ and Java have IT departments that prefer VB (especially since they were said to have the best website of all the state universities). Even when I was in high school, they used VB for the little bit of code they taught.

• Anthony D. Green [MSFT]Anthony D. Green [MSFT] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Ravi Vadera,

We haven't released the next release of Visual Studio yet. We've released CTPs but those CTPs are shouldn't be construed to represent the full scope of what will be in VS "14" only a very early preview of functionality included based on a number of criteria.

The purpose of the blog post linked above is to make it clear that "Universal App" is a concept of the Windows Store and Windows Phone Store than is independent of Visual Studio or what templates are used to create a project and that VB users have always been capable of writing "Universal" apps targeting both platforms.

To quote Lucian:
        'Pro tip: the question of how to re-use code effectively is a deep one, with no "one-size-fits-all" solution. In VS2013 Update2 and with Roslyn we've improved two solutions for VB and C#, "PCLs" and "LinkedFiles". This blog series uses both. We also introduced a new solution that's only in C# for the time being, "SharedProjects", which are an easier way to manage a group of LinkedFiles within VisualStudio. SharedProjects will make their way into VB in the next release of Visual Studio.'

We fully anticipate adding Universal templates which make use of Shared Projects for VB by the final release.

Regards,

-ADG

• TomGTomG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow. And here I thought that we'd left the "real men don't write Basic" mentality in the dust when .NET rendered VB and C# identical in terms of capability. A sad indication of the REAL prioritization of VB. There are words, and there are actions. The latter speak loudly.

• Ravi VaderaRavi Vadera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Providing a work around doesn't solve the issue. Make this process faster. We haven't seen VB Universal App templates in VS 14 CTP. What happened to "We’re currently in the process of building Universal app support for both languages for the next release of Visual Studio based on the .NET Compiler Platform (“Roslyn”)."??

• George P.George P. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No matter how hard you try at Microsoft, C# will never bit VB. Simple, readable syntax. We live at 2014 and instead of going forward we turn back to all that {} => ; instead to Function ... End Function. How much more simple can it be? Reading VB code is like reading a story, reading C# code is like I put an extra step in the process, translate all that {},;&%$^&**%$. Jesus....

Very disappointed if you don't give to VB the same capabilities as C#.

• MichelMichel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Anthony ,

You have no idea how happy this makes me a s a VB developer , I am still a bit sad about the broken co evolution promise , but I am happy to see you did not leave us behind completely .

Maybe you should do something about the VB marketing in a positive sence I would personally vote for Beth Massi as she did a great job in doing exactly that in the past .

Now busy notifying the communities where I am active that we actually already can create Universal Apps with my beloved VB.Net .

All I can say for now is LONG LIVE VB, AND PROSPER!!! I have so many things to say but for now Microsoft your the only one for me!!!

• Raymond Gota ToudjiRaymond Gota Toudji commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This betrayal doesn't surprise me!
        I'm starting to believe that a few spies of the competition have infiltred Microsoft.
        They are slowly but firmly killing the company by making huge stupid management decisions:
        - ugly user interfaces (IDE, Office) with no option to go back to the previous ones,
        - now the discrimination of the VB.Net community ...

The ones who are causing so much irritations must have an agenda and we can only guess what kind of agenda that may be...

Microsoft has great products and it is painfull to see that the company chooses to insult the customers. First turning developers and users into addicts of nice environment and features, then suddenly taking them away.

Thank you Microsoft for this take it or leave it attitude :-(

#$%@#$%&,
        Raymond.

• OlegOleg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a Visual Basic programmer since 1998.
        For a couple of years, when I go to Microsoft conferences, I start to notice that most examples are on C#. In most colleges US, India and elsewhere, students are learning C, C++ and Java, so it is understandable that for most programmers C# is a preferable language. Do not take me wrong, I came from Mainframe and can program in C# and Java and we all can transform our self and learn other languages. Microsoft is in risk of losing their core support. Without us they will lose business market.
        Microsoft failed to promote VB language in colleges and lately I see Microsoft middle management with “Java” mentality are trying to destroy Visual Basic. I think this is the reason Microsoft losing tablet market too. The management lost Bill Gates Microsoft mentality, unfortunately!
        Best regards!

• Paschal Abel TayPaschal Abel Tay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for indicate to wait for Roslyn. Next, I believe many VB developers like me would like to know how long more we need to wait before we can have something to try. 6 months or wait still 2015?

• hjoabhjoab commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don´t understand why the company that owed its big success in its beginnings with BASIC (Gates only programmed in it) is turning its back to its roots. I really do no trust MS.

I can't help but think that there exists inside Microsoft a low level group of developers that secretly believes VB developers are not worthy of their attention. These same people actually resent the fact that the most popular programming language for many years was VB-6! The mission of VB-6 was to bring a reasonable level of programming functionality to the masses. I came up under VB-6 and was actually happy to move to VB.NET because after learning the basics and going beyond them - VB.NET put a lot more power into my hands. It has always felt like there was some resentment that VB6ers were rubbing elbows now with "real programmers." Given the opportunity there's a cadre of developers trying to ***** slap us and re-establish our status as "not real programmers." Don't get me wrong - I still feel that those who code well in C++ and C are indeed more valuable assets in a development community, but VB.NETs capabilities is not lost in the market place when it comes to developing serious and capable applications. You really don't need C++ to querie a database, format and print a document. It's like someone at MS is wanting to tell us we've come far enough into the club-house. Funny thing is I think this is coming from middle management. I think the higher ups at MS would be astonished to find this sub-culture of oppression. My $.02... I'll take off my tin-foil hat now.

• Ben HydenBen Hyden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess if you date a liar and cheater, you expect to get your heart broken. Same goes for the company you keep as a developer, I guess.

I'm not even a VB.NET dev and I see this as a horrid betrayal of developer's trust. I cannot imagine having to explain to my client or boss that the reason I cannot support a technical request is because the world's largest (second?) software company forgot to include support for a feature in my language.

Do what's right and put out an immediate patch. Don't wait for next version. Do it NOW!

You know, there are other companies out there who seem to like their developers more, these days, than MSFT. Are you trying to make them even more appealing? Is your desire to chase us away? Well, I hope so 'cause you're doing a pretty good job from what I can see. If you aren't then you are messing up pretty badly.

Make It Right.

• MichelMichel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a supported workaround ? to create a Universal App without the templates ?

I would again like to express my disappointment in this betrayal of the co evolution promise , and I am now seriously considering my options I might just switch to C# , but it will never be my preferred language as I Am A VB !! ,,, for sure I am now a lot less enthusiastic about your work
        and can now only bow humble to the VB bashers.

Actually this is making me the most Mad , as I was a big promoter of the Co evolution strategy and often told the "promise" that all the good stuff would find its way in both languages on every new release.

• Kuniyasu YakushijiKuniyasu Yakushiji commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why Visual Basic only what does not correspond to the universal app, you do not know the reason. Hopefully in response as soon as possible. Visual Basic users'm often. White users important!

There are more people developing enterprise apps with VB that with C# - I cannot see any business case for not priotizing VB.Net when it comes to updates and new features.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base