I suggest you ...

Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0 (the old idea has been stoped at 7400 votes for no good reason)

The silent majority of VB6 users did not ask for changes that came with .NET

We request Microsoft brings back classic Visual Basic as COM development is back with Windows 8.

Reloaded from: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3440221-bring-back-classic-visual-basic-an-improved-versi

1,047 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    VB6 FireVB6 Fire shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    RR shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of VB6 (reloaded from 7400 votes)  ·   · 

253 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Out of interest, what do you mean, "bring back" Visual Basic? VB6 never went away. Ok, it's not supported any more, but you can still use it.

As far as "an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0" is concerned, what do you think Visual Basic .NET is? I'm not sure what you don't like about .NET (apart from the learning curve involved), but there's no denying that it's an improved version of Visual Basic over VB6. Any improvements/new features involved a learning curve, and VB.NET is vastly improved, so yeah, it's not straightforward, but worth the effort in my opinion.

You need to remember that VB6 was release more than 15 years ago now. The version of Windows it was running on has changed massively since then, making it increasingly difficult to use with today's systems. The solution to that is to upgrade the product, which brings me back to my previous point - we have VB.NET.

• martin rizalmartin rizal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WINE is program that translates Windows API functions to Linux/Unix API functions. It is shim that makes a windows program worked on Non-Windows OS. It has an ability to imitate different windows versions and also has an ability to run from 16-bit to 32-bit applications.

There is a project where the WINE can be installed to Windows. This is called Wine on Windows (WoW). This principle is the same as the original WINE. However instead of translating to Non-WIndows OS API, it translates the old API or 16/32-bit function to the recent Windows API or 64-bit API functions. It works the same as WOW64 but it can run 16-bit applications. It has a potential to isolate registry of legacy application from the actual registry.

More details: http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOnWindows

• SuperDreSuperDre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@martin rizal: really? did you really thinkg Windows 9 WOULDN'T have 32bit support? To me it wasn't even a consideration that it wouldn't have 32bit support, and that it wouldn't support the VB6 runtimes.. If you look around the internet, most applications are still 32bit and only in the last year you see 64-bit versions being added as a second choice.. Microsoft might make stupid choices, but not THAT stupid.. and also it is said that Windows 9 can be loaded as any new update, so it's more like a Windows 8.2 than a real new windows...

• Dennis JohnsonDennis Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@HMan2828
        This is not a debate about which language is better, nor we try to convince you to switch from C# to VB6. After all, there is no "best" language for everything.
        All we want is continue support for VB6 together with the Net Framework and let us, the people, choose what is best for us.
        The only reason I can think of to explain your attitude is that you have some kind of benefit (Microsoft employee perhaps?) promoting the Net Framework and seconding VB6...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HMan2828 : I am a test engineer, and I manage a project of ~4500 automated tests that runs continuously on a cluster of 45 test servers for our product. I also designed all the management tools related to it, and a bunch of other tools that we use internally. I also design customer-ordered extensions and modifications from time to time for our product. I have been a programmer for over 25 years, and just in this place I probably have over a million lines of code written and managed by me. Mostly VB.NET and some C#, as well as couple hundred SQL queries. I started 25 years ago as a kid with various flavors of BASIC, eventually made my way to VB (from V3 to V6), and in 2005 started to switch over to .NET. I also worked on mainframe platforms like AS/400 from IBM. I am fluent in pretty much any flavor or BASIC out there, can read and write C somewhat competently. I also know Intel 8088, Motorola 6502, PIC, ARM and AVR assembly.

Why don't you tell me now what your experience is, and what applications you have written, so we can compare ****** length?

>>>>>Yes you are a test engineer, but you are acting like a baby based on your statements. You are educated but not mannered.

Yes you have many experiences. But I do not believe that you are a test engineer. You know why, here are some keypoints:

1. You did not show your applications that you originally written or applications that you forked.
        2. Show us your credentials, certificates, and license numbers.
        3. What college are you graduated?
        4. What company you are currently employed?

And last --- You are unprofessional. Because you are forcing us to use .NET but you cannot please all the people at your own ideas. You did not respect any VB6 developers here. You are in a wrong place. So if you saying is bad, just keep quiet.

We are not competing with .NET, the developers of VB6 want was to live VB6 alongside with .NET. Make an updates for VB6 IDE and compilers or porting to 64-bit is enough for us.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While VB.NET is a nice (and better) language than VB6 in many ways, it is not nearly as approchable as VB6 is/was for first-time and part-time coders, and is designed for corporate development/collaborative teams — and is not the tool of choice for one-man shops, not to mention the huge framework, lack of real protection for intellectual property, and deployment headaches.

Bu I think, if you want to code in OO, why not just use C# – its cleaner and more polished of a language. Did they really need to kill VB6 — I guess that’s the only way to get people to upgrade to VB.net, since VB6 is still ‘good enough’ for just about anything, and there are hundreds of millions of lines of code written in it, and is perhaps the most widely Internet-Community-Supported software that ever lived.

• HMan2828HMan2828 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Lol, really I should have expected these fanboy answers.. Plenty of pretend but not a touch of facts.

Let's go chronologically here...

@Dennis
        The VB6 compiled produces p-code (which is essentially the same thing as .NET's MSIL, except that at runtime it gets interpreted by a VB6 VM, whereas MSIL is compiled to native code the first time you execute it...), or native executables (which is essentially the same thing as using NGEN on .NET to compile an assembly to native code). I see all those parrots saying VB6 compiles to C++ or whatever other absurdity, I would love just once to see a quote from Microsoft explaining exactly what they mean. And how it is an advantage in any way shape or form. Here is my quote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_P-Code . So, put plainly, you are full of ****.

@SuperDre

"And it's BS what you say about IT moving faster, changing to a new flavor of the day just because some ******* is too lazy to actually do some work and knows what he/she's doing doesn't mean it's better.. Why is it that I can still do about everything with VB6 that I can also do with .NET?"

Really? No, you cannot do everything in VB6 that you could in .NET. You can't do multi threading or parallel programming in VB6 with one or two lines of code. You can't query a database in VB6 with literally one line of code. You can't even handle error-handling in an easy to manage and efficient way.

"And if VB6 is not stable (?????)..."

I did not say it is not stable, I said it is not particularily stable compared to other competing platforms. Learn to read (whole lines).

@Martin

"--Caught a fish in mouth. Base on your statement, you are not a professional developer at all. Because you did not considering the stability and reliability of the software that you written in real situation.
        Anyway how many applications that you written in .NET? Can you show it to us? If you did not show your apps, you are not a developer, you are just a lobbyist."

I posted this before, but here you go:

I am a test engineer, and I manage a project of ~4500 automated tests that runs continuously on a cluster of 45 test servers for our product. I also designed all the management tools related to it, and a bunch of other tools that we use internally. I also design customer-ordered extensions and modifications from time to time for our product. I have been a programmer for over 25 years, and just in this place I probably have over a million lines of code written and managed by me. Mostly VB.NET and some C#, as well as couple hundred SQL queries. I started 25 years ago as a kid with various flavors of BASIC, eventually made my way to VB (from V3 to V6), and in 2005 started to switch over to .NET. I also worked on mainframe platforms like AS/400 from IBM. I am fluent in pretty much any flavor or BASIC out there, can read and write C somewhat competently. I also know Intel 8088, Motorola 6502, PIC, ARM and AVR assembly.

Why don't you tell me now what your experience is, and what applications you have written, so we can compare ****** length?

And yes there are plenty of replacement that DO beat the original VB6 in many aspects today, even without including VB.NET in the mix.

You people are the blind driving the blind.

HMan2828: "You already have support until 2024, what else do you want? There is already many VB replacements. "

--Haha, Yes they are exists but they cannot beat the original VB6 at this moment. If you want to push us forward in migrating from VB6. Help us in developing this VB6 alternatives:

Chameleon BASIC:
        http://sourceforge.net/projects/chameleonbasic/

Dropping VB6 from Windows? this platform will help for VB6

ReactOS
        http://www.reactos.org

Wine:
        http://www.winehq.org

Longene:
        http://www.longene.org

HMan2828: "NASA has been at the forefront of technology innovation for the last 30-40 years, I have no idea what you are talking about."

--Caught a fish in mouth. Base on your statement, you are not a professional developer at all. Because you did not considering the stability and reliability of the software that you written in real situation.

Anyway how many applications that you written in .NET? Can you show it to us? If you did not show your apps, you are not a developer, you are just a lobbyist.

• KontexKontex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good car comparison:

C / C ++ = faster race cars, go only for the people in the circle
        NET = truck, slow and immobile, only useful for large loads
        VB6 = family car, suitable for everyday use, very useful for everyone, always available

:-)

• SuperDreSuperDre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@HMan2828: Nope, VB6 would be the All Terrain tire....... But then again, you're just a troll who really doesn't understand anything about business.. So go play with your .NET and let the rest of the real professionals work with all the languages they need for their business..

And it's BS what you say about IT moving faster, changing to a new flavor of the day just because some ******* is too lazy to actually do some work and knows what he/she's doing doesn't mean it's better.. Why is it that I can still do about everything with VB6 that I can also do with .NET?
        (That's not saying VB6 is better than C#, both have their strengths and their weaknesses.. I've seen my co-workers scrambling to get their .NET project running in the latest visual studio because that one has one particular new feature of the .NET FRAMEWORK, BUT there isn't any reason why the older VS wouldn't be able to also use the same feature of the .NET framework..)

But then again, I'm one of those persons that actually thinks for themselves and isn't a f-ing lemming to just follow the crowd because some people say it's better..
        I use the tools which I need for the job, and that could be .NET (for new project) but IS VB6 for old projects..

And if VB6 is not stable (?????) than it's because you can't program for **** and really have no idea what you are doing.. Yes, ANY language can be 'unstable' if they person is incompetent, .NET doesn't help you with that...

"C/C++ would be the race car rubber, .NET would be a modern nice radial, and some would be oddball brand-specific tires."
        Again, speaking about cars, I would compare .Net to a truck!...

"If you compare to wheels, VB6 is a wooden wheel compared to other languages"
        I think you have messed up here. C/C++ is the wheel, while VB6 is the axis between the wheels (VB6 is based on COM/ActiveX and C++, and Windows uses COM extensively). The VB6 compiler produces C++-based objects, obj files, which the linker uses and produces the final exe.
        Also, this technology is far from being phased out. How did you make this assumption, since M$ themselves started promoting it again?

C/C++ would be the race car rubber, .NET would be a modern nice radial, and some would be oddball brand-specific tires.

If you compare to wheels, VB6 is a wooden wheel compared to other languages.

• KontexKontex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@HMan2828

The wheel was invented a long time ago. So is an old technique.
        Has been tried and tested. According to your logic wheels should now be replaced because the technology is old. I think almost all the cars in the world still have wheels.

Why does no one
        Because there is no better solution

Why do I think you're a lobbyist?

One thing most people here do not seem to understand is that the IT business moves fast, much faster today than 20 years ago. You have to keep up. There is no other option. You cannot stay stuck in the 90's forever, you will lose on all fronts. Just bite the bullet and update your stuff.

NASA has been at the forefront of technology innovation for the last 30-40 years, I have no idea what you are talking about.

VB6 is not particularly stable nor is it more readable than any of a number of languages, nor is it faster or more capable. It is below average in almost all aspects. It is also old and based on technology that is being phased out.

There really is nothing to argue about, it had a long great period where it was the only one filling its niche, it has been replaced by much better, more capable, and faster platforms. It no longer fills a niche. And now it is time to die, it is that simple.

You already have support until 2024, what else do you want? There is already many VB replacements. Time to invest in some development, did you think you would go on selling that app you made in 1994 until the end of time without eventually having to evolve?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

Feedback and Knowledge Base