I suggest you ...

Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0 (the old idea has been stoped at 7400 votes for no good reason)

The silent majority of VB6 users did not ask for changes that came with .NET

We request Microsoft brings back classic Visual Basic as COM development is back with Windows 8.

Reloaded from: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3440221-bring-back-classic-visual-basic-an-improved-versi

2,396 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    VB6 FireVB6 Fire shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    RR shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of VB6 (reloaded from 7400 votes)  ·   · 

924 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ShaggyShaggy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The term "modern" has a couple meanings. With MS apps, Modern is a name that is or was used to indicate apps written for Windows Store. Of course, the word modern had other meanings before MS appropriated it. It has nothing to do with appearance, as far as I know, especially with the disappearance of aero glass.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

>> Post your source code on Pastebin.com or similar, I'll help you where I can.

Will do. Thanks.

• HMan2828HMan2828 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

".Net is not cheaper\faster\better than VB6 for everything that could ever possibly be done in every possible context."

I would argue that it is for every possible context applicable to VB6.

"I AM going to give VS CE a run through in what I do. I'll share all my source code so anyone can duplicate my results. I am not pursuing VB CE in a manner to find where it fails. I am going to attempt to do what I need in a completely unbiased way."

Post your source code on Pastebin.com or similar, I'll help you where I can.

>> That really just depends on how well you know the framework.

Nope. Context is a major factor (maybe the biggest I dont know).

There are many cool things .Net can do. .Net is not cheaper\faster\better than VB6 for everything that could ever possibly be done in every possible context. What tool is?

I AM going to give VS CE a run through in what I do. I'll share all my source code so anyone can duplicate my results. I am not pursuing VB CE in a manner to find where it fails. I am going to attempt to do what I need in a completely unbiased way.

I'd ask that the one that finds vault with every VB6 post please just give that some latitude as I am going to make a sincere effort at migrating to .Net (again).

"I could not have done this project this quick with ANY previous .Net version."

That really just depends on how well you know the framework.

"Hey the up coming version of Visual Basic (14?) is supposed to have the ability to have multi-line string entries. VB6 has had this since 1998."

Hmm VB6 always required underscores to join multiple lines (as does VB.NET at the moment for strings; no need for them in lambdas and linq expressions). What is coming in VB.NET is multi-line strings with no underscore necessary to join lines. That is already available through XML literals, so not a big big change.

>> Im a bit torn today trying to figure out what modern apps are?

I hear ya. I needed to model some really complex data changes so in 48 hours I created a mult-form VB6 app that breaks down an incredibly complex process into manageable pieces. What a great tool VB6 still is!

I could not have done this project this quick with ANY previous .Net version.

I am going to take a look at the new VS Community Edition (CE) and try to build a similar model. Really run VS CE through its paces and see the level of effort to:

1. Develop and maintain modest solutions in.
        2. Ease in distribution.

I did this with the previous .Nets...and still found reason to use VB6. As before I'll be impartial and let the facts drive my decision for the type of things I need to develop.

Previous .Nets were good depending on the context and I did develop apps in them (and still do).

Hey the up coming version of Visual Basic (14?) is supposed to have the ability to have multi-line string entries. VB6 has had this since 1998. ;-)

• Sten2005 - vote for VB6 programmingSten2005 - vote for VB6 programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous
        >>"We tested our vb6 generated app on a $250 HP tablet, it looked modern, it worked perfectly? I am not really sure where to go from here? I also tested my apps on Windows10 and they work great, and look great/modern. I see apps everyday written in .net/ c++ / Delphi that don't look half as cool and are less intuative."

But even though they look better and are faster and do everything that is required, deep down you'll always know they don't use dotNet and therefore can't be right.

That is a truth that will remain self-evident right up to moment Microsoft abandons dotNet.

Im a bit torn today trying to figure out what modern apps are?

We tested our vb6 generated app on a $250 HP tablet, it looked modern, it worked perfectly? I am not really sure where to go from here? I also tested my apps on Windows10 and they work great, and look great/modern. I see apps everyday written in .net/ c++ / Delphi that don't look half as cool and are less intuative.

I feel the move from intel making faster chips that require less power actually lends itself better to native apps, like vb6 generated app. I just don't know why that is not considered modern?

I guess because there is no huge inheritance trees, generics, or whatever else is modern design they are just not up to par? really confusing for me, but maybe its because I'm a lazy, ignorant vb6 programmer.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Basic for Java, Basic for Android and Basic for iOS are available now. They don't need to 'reverse engineer' VB6.

• MarkMark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If somebody seriously comparing Basic2Java,he never did work with VB6 ... there is comparation in speed and possible workarounds including C++/c,Assembler, COM-Framework..and intellectual property rights.. sorry.. Java never ever

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Martin
        "Instead of struggling here to Bring Back VB6. Why we would just reverse engineer it.
        Reverse engineering Visual Basic 6.0 is little bit easier than to reverse engineering the whole Windows OS"

We may have to one day, but without Microsoft opensourcing VB6 it would be difficult.

A better approach is to move to B4J - Basic for Java.

• SuperDreSuperDre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@OCD: even though I certainly dislike HMan2828 (due to being a troll), I do have to give him that your posts about the ammount of hits doesn't say anything (usefull)... Just like sten keeps posting the ammount of hits on the VB6 IDE installing blogs..

• martin rizalmartin rizal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello everyone.

Instead of struggling here to Bring Back VB6. Why we would just reverse engineer it.

Reverse engineering Visual Basic 6.0 is little bit easier than to reverse engineering the whole Windows OS.

"It is not a viable option to create a next version of VB6. We stand by our decision to make VB.NET and the .NET Framework. We think they are awesome too. It is not feasible to open source VB6 tools chain and ecosystem. "
        D E C L I N E D

HAHAHA

• OCDOCD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

>>[HMan2828 .NET code] -> 7 hits
        >>[Olaf Schmidt VB6 code] -> 185,000 hits

That and the fact that you lose every argument Hboy.

@OCD

I feel sorry for you if that is the only thing you managed to retain from the whole conversation...

• OCDOCD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

>>[HMan2828 .NET code] -> 7 hits
        >>[Olaf Schmidt VB6 code] -> 185,000 hits

Have you counted them today, Hboy ?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 46 47

Feedback and Knowledge Base