I suggest you ...

Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0 (the old idea has been stoped at 7400 votes for no good reason)

The silent majority of VB6 users did not ask for changes that came with .NET

We request Microsoft brings back classic Visual Basic as COM development is back with Windows 8.

Reloaded from: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3440221-bring-back-classic-visual-basic-an-improved-versi

439 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    VB6 FireVB6 Fire shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    RR shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of VB6 (reloaded from 7400 votes)  ·   · 

87 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm an 40+ year old programmer that still uses VB6 in small and large projects, MS killed the "golden egg chicken" of programming languages (developed by MS).

MS is stubborn (an some users on this forum) , and they just don't understand that many of us, just don't want a programming language with an heavy payload as .NET ones have.

Hardware manufacters, and the general community still continue to provide OCX for whatever you need to do (just look at planetsourcecode for example).

So, that said, I've just ignored all the .NET MS languages an still develop in VB6 and as an alternative the also great Qt

Get a grip Microsoft, start looking on what programmers still use and like, and not what you want us to use.

• FrancisFrancis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, In my country DR Congo (Kinshasa), I completed my University degree in 2008, but I can ensure you we still using Visual Basic 6, and our teachers still teaching it till today, and even plenty universities around my country still using it.

What haven't I done with Visual Basic 6 ! I've done almost everything !!!

I develop in Qt/ C++, C, Html, PHP, ASM, but VB 6 is simple to use and fast to build project !!!

Visual Basic 6 is my Baby, I do like it so much !!!

We're waiting forward to see Visual Basic 7, OOP included with thread management !!!

Guys, In my country DR Congo (Kinshasa), I completed my University degree in 2008, but I can ensure you we still using Visual Basic 6, and our teachers still teaching it till today, and even plenty universities around my country still using it.

I develop in Qt/ C++, C, Html, PHP, ASM, but VB 6 is simple to use and fast to build project !!!

We're waiting forward to see Visual Basic 7, OOP included with thread management !!!

Guys, In my country DR Congo (Kinshasa), I completed my University degree in 2008, but I can ensure you that we still using Visual Basic 6, and our teachers still teaching it till today, and even plenty universities in my country still using it.

• Leonardo AzpuruaLeonardo Azpurua commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Alessio:
        Pascal is quite alive and kicking within Delphi.
        COBOL and FORTRAN are also alive.
        It's just Classic VB that got shot by some sad **** at M$.

• Sten2005Sten2005 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The way Microsoft abandon developers isn't acceptable. We should all be asking them to , as a matter of policy, open source any development tools when they decide they are no longer required.

We all have our own abandoned Microsoft development tools. Isn't it time we all got together to put pressure on Microsoft ?

If Microsoft refuse to update VB6 I would like to see an open sourced Visual Basic 6 programming language...
        http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3440221-bring-back-classic-visual-basic-an-improved-versi

• mlml commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@verelpode
        This User voice ->"Bring back Classic Visual Basic" has
        300 tweets and more than 1000 facebook likes and more than 1400 comments,
        do yo see any voice has more facebook likes and tweets than this topic?
        do yo see any voice has more comments than this topic?
        Even top 1 voice -> "XNA 5" has 18,108 votes
        But only has 53 tweets and 87 likes and 257 comments, far few

do you think all the facebook accounts and tweets in this Use voice are fake?

• verelpodeverelpode commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe the other VB6 request got so many votes. I think someone must have wasted a lot of time writing a special script to submit fake votes. Otherwise, I just can't believe that so many people would truly want such a ridiculous thing. It's obvious that VB.NET is far, far superior to the old VB. Likewise ASP.NET is obviously far superior to the old original ASP.

I would steadfastly refuse to enter into the details of a debate regarding VB6 versus VB.NET (or classic ASP versus ASP.NET) because it is just such a ridiculous debate.

What Microsoft has done with .NET is a FANTASTIC achievement and we should not waste any more time on old technology that is clearly and indisputedly obsolete.

• mlml commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Vb6, Silverlight, Winform, ASP.NET Winform, WPF, XNA all will die not long ago, and even win32 will die too. Because Microsoft want learn Apple and Google to go to Cloud, and do more control over his users.

Ten or twenty years later, If Microsoft doesn't Collapse, I think only Asp.net MVC will be alive, because it is opened-source, and can't be killed by microsoft.

Silverlight is very good, and it can be written use c# and .net and can run on windows and mac ox, but at last, it still killed by microsoft.

Many years ago, my colleague was very oppose my using Microsoft's language in projects, I think he was too biased against Microsoft, now I think he was not biased against Microsoft, but recognizes the seriousness of the problem earlier.

So for developers, Whether the language or Technology is good or bad is not so important, Who control the language or Technology is very important. Microsoft is a bad Controller, don't be controlled by Microsoft in his closed-source operating systems via the cloud.

Don't use the Closed-source language, As much as possible don't develop only for closed-source OS, Is pleased to see that more and more developers and Governments has Recognizing this now.

• Winston potgieterWinston potgieter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is the Tiobe Index referring to just vb6 - Who Cares
        Is vb6 a language for only non-professional programmers? Who Cares
        Does it matter that vb6 is not truly OOP as defined by todays academics? NO!
        Does it matter that all you .net / c++ OOP drones think that vb6 is a toy? NOP!

I don't really give a **** what you think about vb6.

All I know is my two products, where I make a living, are written in VB6. They work, People love them.

I will find a way to re-compile them from my current code base. I am not going to waste my time re-writing my software to get to the same functionality, that is just STUPID!

If all of us who do care and have projects like come together we will find a solution, and it does not have to come from Microsoft!

Good DAY!

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base