I suggest you ...

Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0 (the old idea has been stoped at 7400 votes for no good reason)

The silent majority of VB6 users did not ask for changes that came with .NET

We request Microsoft brings back classic Visual Basic as COM development is back with Windows 8.

Reloaded from: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3440221-bring-back-classic-visual-basic-an-improved-versi

1,213 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    VB6 FireVB6 Fire shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    RR shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of VB6 (reloaded from 7400 votes)  ·   · 

272 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SuperDreSuperDre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@aaaa: switching to VB.NET better than HTML5 from silverlight?
        Yes, because forcing yourself to only support one platform is much much much better.......
        If I'm to switch to anything at the moment, it'll be HTML5.. Even though I do not like it as much as normal native, HTML5 is at the moment the only way to do multiplatform, desktop and mobile..

• aaaaaaaa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, switching to VB.NET is much, much, much better than switching to HTML5 from Silverlight, or to JavaScript from anything. It could've been worth!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You do know VB6 can be decompiled too. In hindsight that was kinda weak.

Most of us here want MS to fully support VB6 64-bit or make it open source. Maybe B4J is a great tool\investment in the mean time.

• martin rizalmartin rizal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about this: Join Windows Insider Program and make a feedback that improve the application compatibility support for Visual Basic 6.0.

>> code security

Very good point. No platform can do everything well as you know. I could see on their boards there were various solutions for embedding the JVM in an .exe and the like.

They seem very committed to the product and the forums are very active. That is a big plus.

As far as I can see it can do much of what I need. I am going to work with it more. Like VB6, it might be a really good tool in our toolbox. ;-)

I spoke with the developers of Basic4Java (AKA B4J). They communicated that it is real and part of their long term product plans, i.e. wont get killed by the developer.

With this you can create applications for both Android and PC basically using VB syntax and similar IDE.

• KontexKontex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Machines are to be addressed by the people, and not vice versa.
        The VB6 concept is indeed technically possible. If it does not work anymore in the future, which is it because it is vandalized.

• HMan2828HMan2828 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sorry but you do not get it, that's just not possible. How can you support.NET features without its basic building blocks? And if you support its basic building blocks it's no longer VB6.

VB6 + VB.NET combined!

A new version of VB6 that is fully compatible with old VB6 codes and .NET features add-on for programmers that want to venture out further.

>> All we want is continue support for VB6 together with the Net Framework and let us, the people, choose what is best for us.

+1

• mlml commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Kontex
        Will Microsoft kill winrt and windows phone?

If so, many apps for windows phone need rewrite again.

But if use the same windows 10 os/same api in smartphone, vb6 is possible run on smartphone, then it is very interesting.

• KontexKontex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows 10 will run on PC / Tablet / Smartphone

Windows Phone is abandoned.
        Windows RT is abandoned.

If VB6 applications run on Win10 smartphone?
        * dream *

• Dennis JohnsonDennis Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[...]
        Actually, the C/C++ libraries, compiler and IDE are updated. The language itself is the same.
        How about doing the same to VB6 (version 6.1 perhaps)? Update the object libraries, make the compiler use modern CPU features and fix several issues with the IDE...
        That would be the most conserative route, without breaking existing code...

• Dennis JohnsonDennis Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Bring back" essentially means "fix any issues that prevent proper development under modern OSes and, possibly, add any small features you might think that can be added"
        We don't really want anything particular new. We like the simplicity of the language.
        And the argument "released more than 15 years" doesn't fit. How about C/C++? How old is it? The only difference is that C is still being updated.

• PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Out of interest, what do you mean, "bring back" Visual Basic? VB6 never went away. Ok, it's not supported any more, but you can still use it.

As far as "an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0" is concerned, what do you think Visual Basic .NET is? I'm not sure what you don't like about .NET (apart from the learning curve involved), but there's no denying that it's an improved version of Visual Basic over VB6. Any improvements/new features involved a learning curve, and VB.NET is vastly improved, so yeah, it's not straightforward, but worth the effort in my opinion.

You need to remember that VB6 was release more than 15 years ago now. The version of Windows it was running on has changed massively since then, making it increasingly difficult to use with today's systems. The solution to that is to upgrade the product, which brings me back to my previous point - we have VB.NET.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base