I suggest you ...

Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of Visual Basic 6.0 (the old idea has been stoped at 7400 votes for no good reason)

The silent majority of VB6 users did not ask for changes that came with .NET

We request Microsoft brings back classic Visual Basic as COM development is back with Windows 8.

Reloaded from: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3440221-bring-back-classic-visual-basic-an-improved-versi

891 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    VB6 FireVB6 Fire shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    RR shared a merged idea: Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of VB6 (reloaded from 7400 votes)  ·   · 

209 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • HMan2828HMan2828 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also note that while they did rewrite the compiler for Compaq Alpha, they did not do any change to the language. The processor-specific features were only accessible through a Compaq-written SDK.

Why would it be easier? It's not only a different hardware platform, it's also a different software platform. They pretty much have to rewrite the compiler, runtime, and IDE in any case.

"Not for intel but that is a backend issue"

Yeah, following your reasoning, it would be a breeze to port it to ARM, BlackFin, or any other 64 bits processor, because well it's 64 bits. Your argument shows a lack of understanding of how computers in general work...

Because they are completely different platforms... Are you kidding me, Alpha 64-bits on Windows NT? What does that have anything to do with x86-64 on Windows Vista+?

• Dennis JohnsonDennis Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excellent find Anonymous (Sep 15 6:46)!
        Now I want to see what they have to say about not being feasible to port to x64!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 64 bit thing is a lie. They had it in 1998. Not for intel but that is a back end issue.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/1998/dec98/vbvc-compaqpr.aspx

Microsoft Announces Availability of Visual Basic 6.0 and Visual C++ 6.0 For Alpha-Processor Native Application Development
        Dec. 07, 1998
        Software Developers Can Use the Popular Visual Studio Products to Develop Applications For the Most Powerful Systems Available Today
        Send EMail
        inShare

REDMOND, Wash., Dec. 7, 1998 — Microsoft Corp. today announced the immediate availability of versions of the Visual Basic® 6.0 Enterprise Edition and Visual C++® 6.0 Professional Edition development systems designed specifically to run on Compaq Computer Corp.'s 64-bit Alpha processors and the Microsoft® Windows NT® operating system. Developers currently using these popular development tools on x86 systems can easily target the Alpha platform with just a recompile. Combined with the 64-bit Platform SDK, Alpha-processor-based Microsoft Visual Studio® development system tools prepare developers for future 64-bit Windows NT-based systems.

I found the article you cited:

http://visualbasic.about.com/od/imhoinmyhumbleopinion/ss/VB6VSVBNET.htm#step-heading

The test consists of a prime factoring program. However, instead of doing an actual benchmark by comparing how both languages perform using their respective proper code, the VB6 code is used as is in VB.net. Another fine piece of misinformation.

Here is a proper benchmark, with source code for vb6, vb.net, and c#. Results are .NET (both languages) is about twice as fast as vb6.

Will you disclose the test you ran including source code for both vb6 and vb.net tests? Without it your test doesn't really mean much...

Here, I have to give the decision to Jeff. The average of three test runs on my computer resulted in the conclusion that, at least in this particular test, VB 6 is 83 percent faster than VB.NET. Not too bad!

Another interesting result was that building VB.NET as a "release" build rather than a "debug" build only gave a benefit of 5 percent. And running NGEN (Native Code Generator) against the VB.NET assembly didn't seem to improve the performance at all.

Probably because you can do equally (and even more) amazing science things in VB.NET and ordinary people still can understand the code (probably even easier in most instances). And because the language is 30 years old and inappropriate for modern hardware, in particular for science, where you are most likely to be using lots of processing power.

I'm a government scientist, not a programmer. But I can do amazing science things with VB6, and ordinary people can understand the code. Why on earth would Microsoft kill such a successful language? It is a huge waste of taxpayer money trying to find another way to code new applications.

• FramatoFramato commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Festa F.
        Yes,
        If we have to redo everything, then it is better to do it with open-source, and Lazarus is an old stable and reliable project

• Festa F.Festa F. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If VB is not updated then I prefer not to use more MS products.
        I tried Lazarus, is Pascal but is powerful and fun as it was VB6

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base