I suggest you ...

Store project related information in .vs folder to avoid polluting the root of the project

2,502 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Maxime RouillerMaxime Rouiller shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Florian S.Florian S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea! Naming it ".vs" is appropriate as per convention, directories starting by a dot are intended for configuration and metadata stuff like that (except for the Windows world, but it's never too late to adopt). Just look at how a Git repository works. Using the dot helps a lot to avoid confusion or name collision with user-made folders, and will keep it at the very top in directory listings.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be super useful.
        It would make all the bookkeeping operations on the folder structure much much easier, e.g. backup, ensure clean builds etc.
        This should include tfs binding information. Actually, anything that is not "pure code" related should go in there.

• YarikYarik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Folder with the name starting with a dot is something from a *nix world. Need a better name.

• Edward CooperEdward Cooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm out of votes but this is probably one of the best, sensible ideas I've seen.

Although I disagree with the idea of storing it in the %APPDATA% folder (See Chad Levy's comment), there could be an option to turn on the feature for those who want it.

The only thing I dislike is having to go through all the "One way Upgrades" that Visual Studio forces upon you again.

• Tom_WTom_W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure what you mean by ".vs folder".

Do you mean a folder named <solution name>.vs as a subdirectory of the main solution folder?

• Alessio TAlessio T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea! Even if I'm out of votes, this is a virtually ***.

PS: %appdata% is an horrible suggestion.

• dkonigsbach@drsys.comdkonigsbach@drsys.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally great idea. I'd vote for it if I had any left.

Note: I also disagree with putting it under %APPDATA%, for the same reasons @Chad Levy gave.

• Chad LevyChad Levy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@David Karlaš: "Or even better store inside %APPDATA%..." I disagree. Doing so ruins the portability of a solution outside of src control. I'm sure I'm not alone in using multiple machines with dropbox/box/bittorrent sync for dev. Having to dig around appdata and trying to sync between machines sounds unnecessarily painful.

• Basarat AliBasarat Ali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be consistent with what IntelliJ IDEA (and family : webstorm, pycharm, rubymine etc) does. It stores its settings in `.idea` folder. Makes it easy to .gitignore

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice... and it would "blend in" with .git... Also, the upgrade file / folders should be placed there as well (anything IDE related). If this catches on then maybe Resharper would put its files under .vs/Resharper or maybe .resharper...

• David KarlašDavid Karlaš commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or even better store inside %APPDATA% and use .csproj path as key same as XCode or MonoDevelop(for MD specific files) does...

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base