Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Add ClickOnce deployment for F# projects

F# should have the same deployment tools in Visual Studio as C#

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Make login screen responsive

I'm working on a mobile app that consumes the Visual Studio Online rest api. For authentication I use OAuth. I use the WebAuthenticationBroker that is in Windows framework for OAuth authentication but the VIsual Studio login page doesn't fit nice. Need to scroll a lot for no good reason. Please make the login screen fit

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Provide pure HTML5/CSS3/JS project template

No References
        No Propertities
        No Web.config
        No buiilding at all

9 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Extension  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • "What's changed" view of backlogs

Often it's useful to see what changed in a particular time period (last week, last 24 hours, overnight when your dealing with Geographically distributed teams, ...). This assists in team planning / comms. It would be nice to see these in some fashion in the the backlog board views rather than having to write queries to display this information.

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Show a triggered CI build directly after checking in pending changes

If you have a TFS project with a configured CI build that automatically triggers on a new check-in, it would be nice if you could see a link to the running build directly on the "Pending Changes" page in Team Explorer. Right now you have to switch over to the "Builds" page and you will see the newly triggered build under "My builds".

7 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Add support to watch and evaluate transparent proxy objects during debugging

Currently, if we watch a transparent proxy, the object visualizer shows the transparent proxy members and we need to dig deep to reach the original object.

Also, the transparent proxy object cannot be evaluated in watch expressions.

Please add support so debugging codes involving the transparent proxies would be much easier.

4 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Improve the ability to print/report on projects and progress

As project managers, we need the ability to print SCRUM boards, or features, backlogs items and have a general status updates across an entire portfolio of projects/entire team.

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Ability to customize components of Visual Studio Express installer to download to reduce file size bloat

I have noticed the exponential increase in file size of Visual Studio installers since 2005. Even recently, I have witnessed ~1 GB increase in file size of Visual Studio Express 2013 installer with the inclusion of Update 2. It's unreasonable to waste bandwidth, time and disk space downloading components that will be of no use to my projects.

As such, I believe it would be more reasonable if Microsoft will allow the selection of components that one wishes to include in the installer before download. Like this:

=====================================
                  Select components to include in the installer:
                  [/] Core installation files (required) …

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • provide clarity for USERS of software created w/#J 2.0

Where is the security update link for this #J 2.0? Tonight I downloaded Homestead's SiteBuilder to the new laptop. The final part of install forced me to install this "Microsoft Visual #J 2.0" then after installing it, I was warned it was critical I come to this link (to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa496123) to "update for security reasons". Well, I clicked the link and came to that confounding site only to find it is apparently written for programmers who are coding in this #J 2.0 -- I see nothing on this site about USERS of the actual products (like SiteBuilder) that are…

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Option of baking like cakephp based on DB table so that platform become more easy and fast for development

I have been working in cakephp for few projects and found some good features like building complete admin panel to manage CRUD operations for all the tables that database details i have provided, really its save my lot of time to manually building it.

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Updating the Basic setup and deployment

InstallShield is sucks complicated , too much complicated , why don't you just update the basic setup and deployment and add more options in there , it gonna be more helpful and useful than the installshield ..

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Add a Command property to SqlException

When a SqlException is thrown, it will always be thrown by invoking an execute statement on the SqlCommand object. It would be helpful to have access to the actual SqlCommand object when handling the exception (which may be caught by some logging functionality far removed from the code that actually generated the exception.

Right now, I have to catch and then rethrow the exception after adding the individual parameter values that were passed to the execute method.

I usually let exceptions propagate up the call stack until a central handler can log the exception (and send them to me via…

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Provide reassurance of strict security practices for users of Visual Studio Online

Before we can use Visual Studio online for our business, which builds software to protect Protected Health Information (PHI), we would want to see some stringent certifications, reassuring us of secure computing practices by Microsoft as a host of the Visual Studio Online. Microsoft already provides a number of certifications regarding Windows Azure. See the Microsoft compliance language for Azure as an example: http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/support/trust-center/compliance/
                            Please make it clear that Visual Studio Online is operated in a similarly strict manner.

19 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Advanced Team Explorer integration with multiple Git repository's

As seen in this blog:

http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/2013-may-13-vso

Currently you can create multiple repository's in one Team Project, but then you don't have advanced team explorer integration in VS2013. As quoted in the blog:

"If you rename a repository then you will need to manually update the remote URL where you have cloned it. Right now you can only use the advanced Team Explorer integration when the repository is the default one (i.e. the repository with the same name as the team project). You can still clone, push and pull into the other repositories in your team project from Visual Studio, but…

36 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                3 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • compare equality of ranges of items in collections

Currently NETFX has weak/incomplete support for comparing the equality of ranges of items in arrays, lists, strings. This is such a fundamental and common operation yet it is still missing/incomplete!

Please consider adding the following simple and fast method to System.Buffer to compare the equality of a range of items in a large array of primitives:

public static bool BlockEquals(System.Array a, int aOffset, System.Array b, int bOffset, int count);

The proposed BlockEquals() method would be consistent with the existing BlockCopy() method in System.Buffer:

public static void BlockCopy(System.Array src, int srcOffset, System.Array dst, int dstOffset, int count);

Like BlockCopy(), the proposed…

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • make T4 ".tt" use "code-behind" files

I love the T4 ".tt" files, in particular the ability to auto-generate source code (a ".cs" output file) at compile-time within Visual Studio. I have found multiple uses for that. Quite convenient. Thanks for adding that feature to Visual Studio!

However, wouldn't it be better if it used "code-behind" files like how ASP.NET does?

Currently, a ".tt" file contains both T4 instructions/syntax and embedded C# code, both in the same ".tt" file. The lesson learned in ASP.NET is that it's better to extract the embedded C# code out of the HTML and store it in a separate-but-linked ".cs" file. I…

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • initialize an array "sparsely" or in non-sequential order

C# is a wonderful accomplishment, but further improvements are still desirable. I would like to describe a helpful feature that is supported in ISO standard C, but half-present and half-missing in C#.

In the C standard, you can initialize an array "sparsely" or in non-sequential order. For example, this feature is quite useful (and more reliable) for making a translation table that translates an input value (such as an enumeration value) to an output value in instant O(1) time.

In ISO C99, you can write:
                                    int a[6] = { [4] = 29, [2] = 15 };

And it produces the…

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • TF225001 creating a build definition requires a build controller be defined for this team project collection. there may not be any controll

I am using VS2012
                                      TF225001 creating a build definition requires a build controller be defined for this team project collection. there may not be any controllers configured or you may not have permissions to view them. contact your team foundation server administrator

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Check overflow without throwing exception

The C# "checked" and "unchecked" keywords are great, but I wish the .NET Framework had some simple functions (written in native assembler) for reporting overflow *without* throwing a time-consuming exception. This is especially useful for situations where the overflow is expected to occur commonly.

Also for situations where throwing overflow exceptions is unacceptable because it enables a Denial-of-Service attack where the attacker triggers millions of overflow exceptions to delay the service (remember throwing .NET Exceptions is expensive).

I suggest implementing functions in System.Int64, UInt64, Int32 (etc) like the following:

// return true if successful, or false if overflow.
                                        public static…

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Add option to disable "*" on every line of multi-line C# comments

In the C# text editor, I wish there was an option to disable the behavior where it automatically inserts an asterisk (at the beginning of the new line) every time you press the Enter key inside a /* multi-line comment */

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base