Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. File Upload in WebView of Windows Phone 8.1

I have been struggling to upload files from WebView since last few days and there is no progress. Everything works well, The button is visible and it says "Choose File", however if you click the button nothing happens. can anyone with WindowsPhone knowledge help me? Its an XAML WebView app not silverlight app.

Please vote here to enable photo upload option in webview apps for windows phone

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add intellisense reset option

Intellisense crashes frequently on certain pages, leading to the frustrating scenario of having to close and reopen a page just to get intellisense working again.

While it seems that you can't fix it, a simple way of quickly resetting it without having to close the tab, like you can with SQL Server, would make this frequent bug less annoying.

This seems to have started happening in VS2012 and has got worse in VS2013 and you can see the extent of the problem on this SO post, with over 31,000 views in 1 year.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13375961/visual-studio-2012-intellisense-sometimes-disappearing-broken

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Permissions on Work Item Type

I alway need the posibility to set up permission for work items types. In projects, is natural for example that only a group of users can create Risks or another type of custum work item in my custom process template.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Make forward slashes the default for Includes

Every time I install Visual Studio, the first thing I have to do is change the option "Use Forward Slash in #include Auto Complete" to True so that I can compile also in non-Windows environments.

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Cloud Storage to projects that simultaneously upload to SkyDrive(OneDrive) and sync between two computers

I mean It would be good to have that syncing mechanism that can sync our source code between computers with our login. Every time we create a project it should ask

store on cloud
            store on computer
            store on both cloud or computer

it would be great..

I know that there are other sync services, but this can be made secure..I think...

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • i think there should be a application that allows users to access Facebook games to play directly from your Windows phone browser.

I think Microsoft Windows phone should have a application that allows users to access Facebook games to play directly from your Windows phone browser.a type of flash player capabilities to use in streaming cable television and allowing the user to play Facebook games

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Application Insights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Improve resource management with CodeLens

When I override .ToString in a large project and start typing, my machine crawls to a snail's pace as CodeLens tries to find all references to ToString... It eventually finds all 2000 references! :| Until I press another key. :(

4 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  2 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Fix GetMonoIslands bug

When i have a c# file with more than one monobehavior defined, it causes a editor bug "The compiler this script was imported with is not available anymore. UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:GetMonoIslands()"

I know that this way of working is not the normal way to structure a c# unity project, but it is valid. C# files with multiple monobehavior defined will compile and work fine, it is just that single error.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • link items before check in

Add the ability to link code to work items without checking them in.

Having several different work items in a large project or code and stored procedures can be quite daunting in determining which ones go with which one. Upon check out, mark the item to be "tentatively associated" with a work item. So when the work item is complete they are officially associated with the work item.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • DateTime.NegativeInfinity, DateTime.PositiveInfinity

DateTime should offer two distinct constant values indicating NegativeInfinity and PositiveInfinity. This will improve expressiveness of the code. Typically when I want to describe an infinite date range I use var startDate = DateTime.Min; var endDate = DateTime.Min; Recently I've been using var startDate = Nullable<DateTime>(null); var endDate = Nullable<DateTime>(null); These aren't that expressive, essentially they are saying "I have no meaningful value so use whatever the default is." In a range the defaults are no min bounds and no max bounds.

To get around this I am considering two monads 1. RangeBoundry<T> and 2. Range<T>. I would also accept…

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Visual Studio Extension Backup and Sync for VS 2014

Currently, Visual Studio allows developers to sync settings and IDE layouts in VS on multiple machines. It's a great feature but it's incomplete. Extensions are excluded from being backed up and synchronized across installations. Developers find it very tiring to download every single extension they need AGAIN just because their using VS on a different machine. However, all is not lost if the next version can just add this *tiny* feature.

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Add a way to remove "TFS Group" that has been added to provide permissions at the Team Project level

Add a way to remove "TFS Group" that has been added to provide permissions at the Team Project level.

Once a group has been added, there is no way to remove them, this adds lots of clutter over time.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Pemission Work Items for Viewing and Restricted Editing by User/Group

We use TFS, we use 3rd party developers for much of our development.
                            1) These 3rd party developers should only be able to see work items assigned to them.
                            2) These 3rd party developers should only be able to edit the effort hours fields and add comments to history.

Currently, any 3rd part developer can see all work items not assigned to them, they can go into these work items and change the Assigned To field to themselves and therefore steal work from other 3rd part developers. Even on their own work items they can edit project level information such…

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Enable Excludes argument for XCopy Deployer in Release Management

I need to exclude certain files or file extensions when using the XCopy Deployer tool to copy a group of files to a new location. This can be done with the xcopy command by using the exclude argument, however this is not a valid argument when using XCopy Deployer, i.e. the error "Invalid parameter - /exclude:excludedfileslist.txt" is shown.

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Support for CORS in the Visual Studio Online REST API

Add support for CORS so I can use the Visual Studio Online REST API from a Javascript client.

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • make it possible to build the setup project (InstallShield Limited) on TFS online, so we can do continuous integration

We are using the TFS online, and we are doing continuous integration. But the problem is that the setup project (InstallShield Limited) cannot be built on the TFS online. So we must publish new version manually, that's not good practice for continuous integration.

10 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • make ?? and .? operators overloadable

Could you please make the ?? and ?. operators overloadable. Implementers of Option<T>/Maybe<T> (Nullable<T> for value and reference types) could then take advantage of them.

Option<T>/Maybe<T> allows one to address the problem of null reference exceptions where they happen most often: reference types.

I haven’t yet tried to modify the Roslyn compiler to make these two operators overloadable, but you can try out a hacked version of Roslyn where I have replaced Nullable<T> with my own implementation of Option<T>: https://roslyn.codeplex.com/SourceControl/network/forks/GabrielHorvath/ReplaceNullableWithOption

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Remove all non user specified assembly search paths

The fact of life right now is that assembly loading is harder to grasp than .jar loading in java.
                                      For all I care you can make the GAC still a resource I can reference, just make it explicit instead of having it on the assembly search path for every single application ever created in .NET. The current directory shouldn't be a default loading path either, go put all the assemblies that I referenced into the .appconfig via msbuild/VisualStudio and then everything is explicit and nothing can go wrong.
                                      Then write the .appconfig into the .NET metadata in Release mode.

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Add intents like what Android apps use to subscribe

Android intents are a powerful notification system that allows applications to subscribe to various OS level, app and system events. Coupled with Bundles (State management that can be boot persistent), adding this functionality to VS for all Windows OS's would a huge win for current developers and allow Android developers an easier transition to Windows.

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Open PDB file format to enable open source compiler output debugging

Or at least contribute PDB support to LLVM.
                                          That would allow to debug binaries, generated by clang, Rust, and other compilers in Visual Studio.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base