Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We would also like to invite you to check out the Announcements section we have added to this site, where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make a cleaner Func<T> syntax

Refer to how Swift handles function passing and declaration. Preferably just use the signature of the function to define and pass it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Track changes in 3D

When performing corrections or updates or even annotations allow for the creation of a final orthogonal view using a 3d card. But If the user switches to another view they can see the 3d representation of the changes over time including corrections. The final view when have the final sheet hiding the corrections in the orthogonal view and only the final version changes would be allow to be extruded or versioned somehow to the final sheet maybe through a projection.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Office/SharePoint  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Make it easier to manage .config files across Distributed Dev Teams with different environments

When working with .config files, we often store development-specific settings that differ from developer environment to developer environment across globally distributed teams. For example, we use different database connection strings or Active Directory providers etc. Since the Web.config transforms are primarily targeted for CI Release Management, we find ourselves checking out the .config files constantly just to make these small changes globally across our development teams.

Instead, there should be a better way to manage all of these minor configuration changes across globally distributed teams without having to constantly edit the .config file for each different developer environment or creating…

2 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Remote debugging should work through firewalls without having to forward ports.

When debugging across the internet, having to manually configure the remote firewall to forward specific ports to a specific PC is not always possible. Especially when the remote site is a customer owned site. It would be fantastic if the remote debugger had the option to connect through firewalls without having to forward ports, similar to how Skype, Team Viewer, etc.. can. I realize this might require an external server, so it should be an option but still default to the current peer-to-peer behavior.

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Make the QuickWatch window non-modal

Currently QuickWatch opens in a modal dialog which must be closed in order to interact with the code editor.

This is annoying when you have a state in your QuickWatch window that takes time to reproduce, as you have to reopen the window after doing simple debugging tasks such as stepping through code etc.

4 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Don't remove the menues and force ribbons on us

Ribbons are nice to look at, much prettier than an oldscool menu. But they are terrible when you want to find something but don't know exactly where it is or how it looks; what do the icon for "add service reference" or "create GUID" look like?
              Take the Office ribbon, I attached a small example of some items. Their functions are only available from the "home" ribbon and none of them has a descriptive text. Can you tell what they do just by looking at them?
              Some people like ribbons, great, but please don't enforce it on us who like…

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Allow deleting previous integration build information in workitem history

I have reports that use the operator "Was Ever" to search for Integration Build. Unfortunately, this information is copied into the history of the new workitem. I suggest you add a feature to remove specific build information from a workitem or don't copy history when cloning a workitem.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Export Product Backlog Items, Test Cases, and Bugs to MS-Word (including images) with a specific order

Dear all.

To prepare an upcoming User Acceptance Test I would like to export our finished “Product Backlog Items”, “Test Cases”, and “Bugs” (relevant items specified in a query with specific selected fields and with a specific item order) from TFS (Visual Studio Online 2013) to MS-Word 2010 (could also be Office 365). To have a full overview, not only the text of the corresponding items should be exported from TFS to Word but also the included images.
                  Furthermore it would be great of having already a structure exported to MS-Word (the items should be seen in the “navigation” bar;…

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • ASP.NET

Dear Microsoft, I am an developer and working on visual studio dot net. I have seen many time developers struggling the post back issue. Face problem while disabling complete page during postbacks. user has to go some work around if they want to disable complete page during post back. Ajax, javascript, jquery creates problems. My suggestion is in page lavel there must be property to set DisablePageDuringPostBack="True/False" help a lot to the developer.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Provide single command from vstest.console.exe to execute coded ui tests,create trx file and conver that trx file to html using trx2html.exe

I have done the below steps to execute coded ui tests,enable logger and then convert trx to html file:
                      1. Command to execute coded ui tests is vstest.console.exe "dllname.dll" \logger.trx
                      This command executes my coded ui tests and generates trx file in TestResults folder
                      2. Command to convert the above trx file to html file using trx2html.exe is trx2html.exe "TestResults\trxfilename.trx"

But my requirement is to have a single command to execute coded ui tests, create trx file and convert trx to html file.

Could you please on this

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Use the project settings for the default language of resources

The context:
                        I'm working with a German version of VS2010 on a German OS. All my projects are meant for international use. So the default language is English. I mainly use Win32 API.

The problem:
                        When I use the resource editor, all resources are initially set to German. Even, when the project settings are set to "English (USA) (0x409) (/l 0x0409)". This is a nuisance, because you need to change the language manually for every resource.

Suggestion:
                        It would help a lot if you used the settings in the project to set the default language.

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Just only build a project in a solution

In Blend, I can't just only build a project in a solution.

That make me trouble, I have to no error of solution first.

But in Blend, I just want make sure my UI correct.

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Make Logging in to Azure from Visual Studio work when using 2 factor identification for your Microsoft Account

I can't login to the Azure Tools for Visual Studio. I've got 2 factor authentication set up for my Microsoft Account.

I get sent to the page that tells me to wait for the app to allow. I allow the access, then I get sent back to the login screen again! So annoying!

Does nobody on the Azure Tools for Visual Studio team use "two step authentication?" http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/two-step-verification-faq

This is dead simple to reproduce.

1. Have an azure account tied to a two-step authentication enabled Microsoft Account.
                            2. Try to use that account in Visual Studio.

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Windows Azure Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • waga

ekran dotykowy jako waga

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • BUG: In the SSDT tabular table designer, scrolling down should not alter the horizontal scroll position

When I click the vertical scroll bar either on the scroller or the bar to move down a page of results, the horizontal scroll position snaps to the start. This makes browsing the model in the designer annoying.

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  SQL BI Tools (SRS, SSIS, SSAS)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • VS extensions Free or Trial copy?

VS extensions, makes people like me wonder if all extensions are free but we know they're not all free. It would be nice if each extension can be labeld as free or xxdays of trial copy

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Extension  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • SSDT Tabular model edits should only update on change

In the tabular model editor, there's an annoying lag whenever you do the following actions in the grid view:
                                    1. Right click, insert a new column - doing this should immediately allow you to edit the name or formula for the column (or both)
                                    2. Renaming a column that has no formula associated with it
                                    3. Clicking on an existing column to copy a formula, and then selecting a different column without making changes.

These minor (paper cut) annoyances make the model editor slow to work with.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  SQL BI Tools (SRS, SSIS, SSAS)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Rename Column in SSDT Tabular model editor should update references in other formulas

When I rename a column in the SSDT Tabular model editor, and that column is referenced in formulas in other columns, it would be nice if the designer offered to update those formulas (perhaps by showing a dialog with the changes). This would make model editing easier.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Enable Selection Of Build Configuration In Blend

I'm working on a Universal App for W8.1 & WP8.1, I have 3 build configurations Debug (On Device), Debug (On Simulator) & Release.

Blend always tries to load Debug (On Device) which given that it's targetting ARM results in obtuse & misleading errors being reported by build because the XAML tooling in both Visual Studio & Blend chokes on non-x86 targets.

If I rename Debug (On Simulator) to Debug, Blend loads it instead.

I deduce from this that Blend works with the build configuration that is found first alphabetically which is frankly bizarre behaviour.

Either enable us to select a…

5 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • please separate the build and rebuild option in visual studio 2010.net with some distance

Many times when I do my job quickly I am clicking the rebuild option instead of build, then by the time I realize that and cancel the rebuild some key objects are deleted, so the build again does the rebuild of the entire solution. It would be nice if you separate both these options with some distance.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base