Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. method signature tooltip - layout improvment

When I hover the method calling code I get full signature of the method in the tooltip, which is great.

The problem is when the returned type of method result and class/interface that contains the method is deeply nested in namespaces tree we get something like:

GlobalNamespace.Module1.Utils.Something.Else.MethodResultClass GlobalNamespace.Module1.Utils.Again.Something.Else.Interfaces.MyInterface.MyMethod(GlobalNamespace.Module1.Utils.Something.Totally.Else.Parameters.ThatOneClass parameter)

in the picture I you can find simple example with really shallow namespace tree and it's still pretty hard to read. It would be great if you guys at least bold the return type or anyhow else improve displaying that tooltip.

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Cycle Time Indicator On Stories In the Kanban Board

As a TFS End User, I would like to see an indicator on the Story In the Kanban board that indicates the number of days a Story has been in that status, so I can monitor the cycle time of a Story.

Acceptance Criteria:

Given that I am on the Kanban Board, and Stories have been created, when I have a Story in any lane, and the story has been in the lane for more than 24 hours, then I will have see an indicator representing the number of days the Story has been in the lane.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow command line redirection when using the Visual Studio Profiler

Currently you cannot pipe the output from one program into another when profiling code. Eg: rtl_fm -f 102.1M -M wbfm | main.exe using visual studio 2013

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Allow command line debugging without a project file

With visual studio 2008, one could compile and debug without the need of a visual studio project file:

cl /Zi main.c /link kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib

devenv /debugexe main.exe

After visual studio 2008, this was no longer possible. I would like the ability to quickly prototype and debug code without setting up project settings

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Allow cloaked folders to be moved/renamed

Currently if a folder is cloaked, the options to move or rename it are disabled in the Source Control Explorer. It should be possible to do these operations even if the folder is cloaked.

In addition, when I want to uncloak a folder, Visual Studio should not force me to close my current solution (especially if it is in a different Team Project).

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Please make it "Сonditional"

myInt32Var = myBooleanExpression ? 1;
              //or
              myInt32Var ?= myBooleanExpression : 1;
              //or
              myInt32Var = 1 ? myBooleanExpression;
              //or
              myInt32Var ?= 1 : myBooleanExpression;

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Allow easier DependentUpon

It would be great if we could easily make a file dependent upon another from the Solution Explorer. Using drag'n Drop maybe...

Currently, one needs to unload the project and manually edit the project file to do it.

Adding this kind of dependency is useful when creating resources (resx) for more than one culture for instance. Having the default culture at the root and the other cultures inside its node is clean and easier to work with.

4 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • change password on edit profile page.

Users cannot change their password on edit profile page.

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Allow option for ObservableCollection<T> to notify for changes if T implements INotifyPropertyChanged.

At work we often find ourselves in a situation in which we have an ObservableCollection<T> where T implements INotifyPropertyChanged in some MyClass class. Further, T notifies when some property (e.g. "IsDirty") changes, and we would like to be able to detect those changes to re-evaluate some property in MyClass (e.g. AnyItemIsDirty).

We used to not have to do this with BindingLists, but we don't really want to go back in time to those since we consider ObservableCollection a step up in terms of being WPF-y/pattern-y.

We've tried hand-implementing a wrapped ObservableCollection, but it would be nice if that came out…

18 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Make typeof() optional when possible

DependencyProperty.RegisterReadOnly("View", typeof(ICollectionView), typeof(CollectionViewSource), new FrameworkPropertyMetadata((ICollectionView)null));

Imagine replacing previous piece of C# code with following:

DependencyProperty.RegisterReadOnly("View", ICollectionView, CollectionViewSource, new FrameworkPropertyMetadata((ICollectionView)null));

As far as I can see there is little chance for confusion here, as compiler knows that a type is expected here and type name can be provided directly, without typeof() operator. A confusion might happen if there is a variable/property with the same name as the type, in this case compiler might require disambiguation.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Add more sample text and explanation to colors/fonts customization

Currently, customizing colors and fonts has only one sample text, "ij = I::oO(0xB81l);". When changing colors or fonts, this text is updated. Unfortunately, the text rarely reflects the type of display item being changed.

Also, what's the difference between "User Types - Interfaces" and "User Types (Interfaces)"? There are lots of display items whose names are at best vague and usually are not descriptive of to what they refer.

My suggestion is: in the dialog where colors and fonts are updated:

1) The sample text should directly reflect what is being changed and not be a static string that rarely…

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Why not a .NET hardware processor, where native code is the same bytecode?

Is the superscalar processor the best platform for execute .NET?
                          (considering that .NET CLR is a stack machine and superscalar processor is a machine based in registers)

The short answer is: No

Superscalar processor were designed for languages like C (based in registers), but CLR (the virtual machine of .NET) is a stack machine, so the paralellism at instruction level that brings superscalar processor is difficult to implement for stack machine (remember, operations on stack machine happen at the top of stack).

For Java is the same story (because JVM is also a stack machine).
                          Do you remember the idea…

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Why not an official Microsoft versión of .NET for Linux?

Why not an official Microsoft implementation of .NET on Linux and other flavors of Unix?

The success of Java is just its presence in multitude of platforms, but .NET is much more rich for the front-end side.

With cloud computing, in the future the Operating System and DBMS will be only a commodity. both will be less important because they will be managed by the cloud provider.

For the future, we need platform independence for interoperate into a multi-cloud ecosystem.

At the end of the day, Unix is not a strange world for Microsoft, remember Xenix.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Stopping debug session to go through the defined "finalize" blocks

It would be great to be able to stop the debugging session in a way, which will break the main execution, like an exception (ExecutionBrakeException, or something similar) was thrown. This will still allow all the code in the "finally" blocks to executed (if any).
                              Please note, that this should be an option, and the default option (as its now) to just break the execution should still be available.

Thanks.

6 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Show the file size in the Properties window when files are selected in Solution Explorer

It would be helpful to know how big (in bytes/kilobytes) each file is without having to go to Windows File Explorer, especially for asset files (images, stylesheets etc.).

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Debug-time user defined assembly import/injection with "source weaving" through user defined keyword

When debugging C#, it would be handy to be able to have your own assembly with "debugging-aids" available without needing to change projects or the source code.

implementation and use from end user perspective:

1. Create "Tools" project, to which you can add functions that can be called from any of your projects without changing them, these functions are behind user-definable keyword. eg. The key left of "1" is "§". After defining "§" as the keyword and creating a BP() function, I can add §BP or §BP() into code or into disassembly, but it won't be added into the files…

2 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • allow http connection to remote IIS instead of ftp in VS Express Web

Front Page Extensions is the only way to have an http connection to a remote IIS now, and Front Page extensions is not supported by Microsoft. So, there should be an alternative like WebDAV to support editing web sites on a remote IIS server.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Extension  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • ... release a version of Silverlight for Windows Phone and Windows RT!

Release a version of Silverlight for Windows Phone and Windows RT.

4 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Edit & continue: Support editing embedded resources

I would like to do edit & continue on embedded resources, such that when I edit an embedded resource while debugging is paused, that when I continue debugging, the new resource is read when I call Assembly.GetManifestResourceStream.

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Buffer.Compare

Buffer.Compare(Array src, int srcOffset, Array dst, int dstOffset, int count)

Works like memcmp, returns 0 if equal, etc.

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base