Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. チームエクスプローラーを単体提供してほしい。

現在、チーム エクスプローラーはVSかEclipseのプラグインという形で提供されていますが、Windowsユーザー向けでもいいので単体での提供はできないでしょうか。
    開発環境に違いこそあれ、TFSは導入したいという人たちは多いはず。
    コードはテキストエディターのみで行っているところも少なくありません。統合開発環境を導入していない現場でも利用できるようにチームエクスプローラーの単体提供を希望します。

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Debugg the code without break Point

I need the solution for the below problem,I have the solution file which contain aspx page like home, login, main.. After login the home page will be redirected.if suppose am I put the break point in the login page code behind, after complete login action the home page loaded. I have some logic in the home page load event. I would like the load event also automatically execute step by step. because my actuall solution file contain more the 30 pages so I can't able to find which page code behind run at this time. Overall my need is in…

5 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Return back "Add to My Favorites" feature in Team Explorer 2012

In Team Explorer 2010 you have the option to add documents and reports to the My Favorites node.
        In Team Explorer 2012 this option is not present anymore.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Upgrade WPF to better align itself with WinRT

Create a new version of WPF that targets Windows 7 desktop apps, that provides much better alignment with WinRT. The provides a couple of major benefits:

Allow application developers to support dual code bases (desktop Win7 application and Win8 app)

Provide incentive for migration to Win8 and not be limited by the installed base

Provide a migration path for other XAML apps (like Silverlight)

Prepare applications for the sandbox restrictions in Win8

Use a single XAML across Win7 and Win8 (Win8 controls would be emulated as WPF controls in Win7)

The library could be community driven, but sponsored and supported…

30 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Windows 8 Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Include in their next release of the Silverlight runtime, the ability to retrieve Microsoft Intermediate Language (IL )offsets

We request Microsoft include in their next release of the Silverlight runtime, the ability to retrieve Microsoft Intermediate Language (IL )offsets via System.Diagnostics.StackFrame.GetILOffset. We produce a product written in Silverlight in a growing number of installed sites. In the field we have experienced exceptions that we cannot reproduce in our development or test environments. They are intermittent problems, nevertheless, our customer’s opinion of our software takes a hit whenever these exceptions occur and our ability to use customers as a reference for further sales is jeopardized. We must fix these problems.

To fix these problems we need to know the…

2 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Browser based page navigation

I always feel the need to have a browser based navigation - i.e Back, Forward, Back x amount of pages. Why? Because so many times I'll Go to a Definition, see it's implementation, and forget which page I originally hit GoTo Definition on. I think a Page History with Simple Navigation could resolve this and would be beneficial.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                2 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Full Support for Expression.Block; multi-line logic capablities

I order to write software, very dynamic in nature, I find it useful to generate meta-data and meta-knowledge about lower level APIs. I see value and promise in the ability to delay code generation as late as possible based on the premise that one is able to sense and learn (gain knowledge) from an environment. If one looks at low-level API no matter the domain; usage patterns present themselves in fully expressed canonical order and one can stitch them together via composition [DSL]; we have the ability to write LINQ Providers, we just need the ability to dynamically generate code…

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Ensure application is in clean state prior to the next test running when using CloseOnPlaybackCleanup=false

I am testing a winform app using (VS 2012 Update 2). There is a login for the app that takes quite a bit of time that I'd like to avoid for each test, so I am setting CloseOnPlaybackCleanup to false to keep the application open in between tests.

All tests within my Coded UI framework for the application inherit from a base class. Note that the ApplicationUnderTest.Launch and setting of CloseOnPlaybackCleanup to false are called within the MyTestInitialize of this base test class. Any given test may open mulitple windows depending on what it's testing, so within MyTestCleanup of that…

5 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • The Processor Architecture for Tests should use the current Platform type

1. Pick a Platform and Configuration from the drop-downs
                    2. Go to Test Explorer and run tests

All tests FAIL!

The tests use the 'Default Processor Architecture' which can be configured under the TEST menu. If that doesn't match the Platform type I'm working with, tests fail to run.

Whenever I change the Platform, I need to remember to also change the Default Processor Architecture.

I suggest that when I pick a platform, the Default Processor Architecture also changes to match.

5 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • TFS does not contain option to log out and log in with other user credential

When you already logged-in in TFS using one user password, after some time if you have to work with same server and same project but using different user credential(because some task can only be allowed to be done by some team member in the team, for that special previleged one-two special accounts were created among the team and team lead have given that special user credential to selected team member), then there is no option to log out from TFS and log in using different user credential.

To achieve this thing, you force fully have to close the visual studio…

5 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Re-enable key features from the Test Results window

I can load a TRX into the Test Results window in VS2012, but I can't do anything with those tests. Run, debug, and open are all disabled. WHY would this window be available and not be allowed to run tests the way we did in 2010?

We run 15,000+ tests nightly against our products and the lack of these features is keeping our QA team from moving to 2012. Update 2 did not address these issues. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Text Explorer, no matter how good you say it is because it doesn't fit OUR needs.

6 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Internationalize de TFS,

it would be good to have the TFS in important languages like French, German, Spanish

In that way it would be a lot more powerfull for people that does not speak or understand english

Regards

6 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Upgrade Visual Studio to native x86_64-bit code.

Get rid of thunking issues, dual DLLs, remoted debugging required, and 32-bit default project nonsense. Upgrade the package to native 64-bit.
                            In the modern 64-bit desktop computer world, 32-bit apps are woefully inadequate and archaic. Show a little innovation and keep up with tht times. Raw GUI performance is not everything these days, that is really lame excuse not to rebuild for 64-bit.

17 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Compatibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Fail build on insufficient code coverage

Please make it easier to fail the build if the code coverage is lower then a given %.

The community and MS itself focus more and more on the code quality (see the checkin-policies for code-reviews etc.) but a basic indication for failing quality as low code coverage from unittests isn't a trigger to fail a build.

To accomplish this we now have to edit the build-template or create our own build task.

I think this is a relative small efford for MS and a huge help for the community to develop better unit tests and better code.

12 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • BindingList should include a RowState Property

BindingList shoud be extened to include a RowState Property.

I'm in the process of upgrading an old Project where I used ADO.NET and databound Controls against a DataTable.

In my new Project I'm using Linq to SQL and a WCF Plain service and got the tip to use a BindingList(Of MyTable) to transport data throgh my Tiers and databind my Controls against that.

It Works Fine but It doesn't track Changes like the RowState on a DataRow.

I got the tip to Create my own ExtendedBindingList that Inherits from BindlingList and add this property.

The Problem is that when I…

2 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Team Build, process parameter suggestion

"Queue New Build" -> "Parameters" tab display lists ~ 13 values; Limited scrolling.

Suggestion is to have display list as many parameters as are defined and listed in Edit Build Definition --> Process.

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Git VS Integration - Add support for other 'remotes'

The Git extension for Visual Studio 2012 should add the ability to push and pull to remotes other than 'origin'.
                                    It should also add the ability to set-up tracking branches of remotes.

31 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  Extension  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Add "run with options" to test tab in TFS2012 web client (as in test manager)

Though you now can execute tests via the test tab on the TFS2012 web client, you cannot specify a build that is used for uploading the results. When analyzing the test run later via Microsoft Test Manager, all test test results are uploaded without build information, even if a default build was defined in the test manager property pages.

This makes the test tab on the webclient useless in case if is required to always run tests against a build.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Indicate when a solution or a project has unsaved changes

Unless you have the solution or project properties window update you have no indication that there are unsaved changes to projects. It's very easy to make changes without realising it (e.g: add a reference via Resharper). If you're using an external source control tool such as Git you are likely to stage and commit incomplete work because you need to press Ctrl + S first.
                                        An asterisk at the right of the project name would adequate, or maybe a colour change... whatever.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Allow non-primitive types for WCF Data Service service operations.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc668788.aspx states:
                                          "If parameters are defined, the type of each parameter must be a primitive type. Any data of a non-primitive type must be serialized and passed into a string parameter."

It would be really useful to be able to pass through non-primitive types into service operations, manually deserializing non-primitive types as a workaround is quite messy as support has to be added for both JSON and XML formats (to keep it consistent with the rest of the API). Something similar to MVC model binding would make this painless.

8 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base