Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Prevent a TFService PBI from being marked as Done unless the child tasks are first marked as Done

Using Team Foundation Service, Scrum 2.0.

A Product Backlog Item (PBI) can be marked as Done, even when the child tasks it is linked to are In Progress.

I understand there could be a discussion around Definition of Done here, but I think it would be a better experience if an error message or warning was shown.

This would be more in line with what happens elsewhere in Team Foundation Service. For example, when a Task is moved from Done to In Progress ... an elegant message appears, a great experience!

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add mercurial support to VS IDE.

i'd like to see VS 2012 has same functionality for supporting mercurial as you've done for git.

10 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Provide multiple search filters on Visual Studio UserVoice site

Please provide multiple search filters on the Visual Studio UserVoice page.

For example, I would like to be able to view all Completed items beneath Team Foundation Server (TFS) and currently this does not appear to be possible - I can view all TFS items or I can view all Completed items but I can't seem to be able to view items that meet both of these criteria.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add posibility to use 3rd party consoles when starting console app under VS

I'm using ConEmu (and previously Console2) as consoles. It would be great if one could instruct VS to start those instead of standard Windows console when running console applications.

6 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Can you live update the scrumboard. Wouldbe nice to see the changes that somebody else makes. Useful for on-line stand-up sessions.

Can you live update the scrumboard. Wouldbe nice to see the changes that somebody else makes. Useful for on-line stand-up sessions.

4 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Integrate Office365 and Visual Studio Online

Please integrate Visual Studio Online and Office 365 better, considering that an organization that is interested in Visual Studio Online will be likely to be using Office 365.

Integration should include:
              - Authentication - users should be able to use their Office365 accounts and not only LiveID.

- SharePoint site integration - from Visual Studio Online let me configure a site that I can host file sharing from, including the ability to use Office 365 as a SharePoint source. Administrative functionality should be included provided the user has the ability to administer Office365.

- SharePoint site integration, storyboarding - same…

828 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                24 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Change the name of Team Foundation Services - Google Gets it Wrong!

I've been searching for comparisons between Team Foundation Services and other Version Control Systems; Git, Mercurial, Vault, etc. The problem is that once I start reading someone's description, even when only looking back for a year, people are comparing a VCS to Team Foundation Server, not Team Foundation Services.

I suspect that Google's search algorithm isn't discriminating between Team Foundation Server and Team Foundation Services. They are so similar that Google assumes the search is for Team Foundation Server.

Thanks!
                Dan Waters

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Separate Config Transforms from configuration

Config Transforms not only need the ability to work on any Config file in any project, there needs to be an option to always do the transforms not just tied to Configuration (Debug/Release/etc).

See CodeAssassin.ConfigTransform. It does transform on every build/publish to a new file: web.debug.config.transformed and web.release.config.transformed, etc.

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Kill the UI Experts @ Microsoft that thinking more clicks for the same operation is a good idea. Pending Changes Source Control Window SUCK

Pretty much every software developer on the planet that uses Visual Studio is use to the pending changes window in VS2010 and now in VS2012 that entire interface has changed, takes more clicks and more mouse moves to do the same thing. I'm a UI Expert. Are we really that bored as humanity that we need to make the same thing more complicated? I thought the entire point of technology was to make our lives easier. Like Windows 8 and the dumbing down of access to information, VS2012 is a perfect example of where UI designers need to do something…

7 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Range checking in debug mode (for valarrays)

All array types (normal arrays, vectors, valarrays, etc.) should be automatically range checked in debug mode. Your documentation suggests they are, but at valarrays are not.

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Awful multi-language support in resx files in C# WinForm apps when refactoring/renaming

Imagine this situation:
                        I created a WinForm app in C# with a form named "CodePrinterClient".
                        There's a button named "buttonStartStop" on "CodePrinterClient".
                        Then I enabled the "Localizable" option for "CodePrinterClient" and I localized CodePrinterClient into zh-CN and en-US.
                        Currently, the "Language" option for "CodePrinterClient" is "zh-CN" and I renamed the button to buttonStart.
                        Then all codes with "buttonStartStop" were refactored into "buttonStart" and all "buttonStartStop"s inside "CodePrinterClient.zh-CN.resx" were renamed, too.
                        However, when I edited the UI of "CodePrinterClient" in en-US or (default), the button "buttonStart" had no Text attribute, because no "buttonStartStop" items wererenamed into "buttonStart" in other languages' resx…

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Add the SharePoint based Dashboards to Team Web Access

Instead of having to open yet another console (SharePoint) it would be useful/efficient if all reporting/dashboard information could all be displayed/managed in Team Web Access similar to Jira.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Scrum Workflow should not hide hierarchically defined Product Backlog Items

"By Design" in TFS2012 Update 1 only leaf node PBIs are shown in all Scrum Workflow views other than the Product Backlog.

However this behaviour causes PBIs to become "lost", if a non-leaf PBI is committed to a release it simply disappears from all views in the workflow except manually defined workitem queries.

Moreover the "Create Backlog Query" option is now inconsistent with the view since the resulting query does still include the hidden non-leaf PBIs.

I believe the most generally useful behaviour would be to not hide the non-leaf PBIs and have the views work with hierarchical PBIs as…

32 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              4 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • VisualStateManager Storyboard TargetName should be checked

I think one of the most common failures of Windows Store apps certification is crash related to snap view. It is often caused by removing or renaming of XAML elements, which still preservs in the VisualStateManager.

For example this causes a runtime crash when backButton element does not exists:
                              <VisualStateManager.VisualStateGroups>

<!-- Visual states reflect the application's view state -->
                              <VisualStateGroup x:Name="ApplicationViewStates">
                              <VisualState x:Name="FullScreenLandscape"/>
                              <VisualState x:Name="Filled"/>

<!-- The entire page respects the narrower 100-pixel margin convention for portrait -->
                              <VisualState x:Name="FullScreenPortrait">
                              <Storyboard>
                              <ObjectAnimationUsingKeyFrames Storyboard.TargetName="backButton" Storyboard.TargetProperty="Style">
                              <DiscreteObjectKeyFrame KeyTime="0" Value="{StaticResource PortraitBackButtonStyle}"/>
                              </ObjectAnimationUsingKeyFrames>
                              </Storyboard>
                              </VisualState>

<!-- The back button and title have different styles…

6 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Support multiple websites in a single web role within an Azure Cloud Service Project

Currently, Azure Cloud Service Projects only support associating 1 website with 1 web role. (More are possible through XML configs, but difficult and buggy) Often is the case where we want to have multiple websites deployed on a single web role with full deployment support for each.

12 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • VS2012 should not become unresponsive when TFS is offline

As I write this TFS azure is experiencing issues. I have started VS2012 in offline mode to work around this outage.

However, VS2012 remains unresponsive, bringing my entire development effort to a standstill.

VS2012 should be able to handle outages much more gracefully than this.

7 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • WCF Data services currently does not support datatimes like Time, Timespan, etc. Maby it should.

WCF Data services currently does not support datatimes like Time, Timespan, etc. Maby it should. Or at least some way to convert on the fly.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Move file operations to a separate thread and not VS-UI thread.

Visual Studio should make the programmer efficient whenever possible. VS file operations including but not limited to "save" and "open" occur in the VS-UI thread which causes the VS-UI thread to hang/wait while file operation and file parsing completes. This is especially noticeable when VS file operation occurs over a WAN. VS file operations should be moved to their own thread separate from VS-UI thread allowing VS-UI to perform other tasks while file operation(s) complete including but not limited to allowing the VS-UI user to edit other open files/tabs.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Support Duplex WCF Client

To allow one of the below: (this is for .NET Framework on Windows Phone 8)

1) Expose following constructor (as protected)
                                        ClientBase(IInstanceContext callbackInstance)

... such that it would be possible to extend ClientBase to support Duplex scenario.

2) OR... migrated existing implementation of PollingDuplexHttpBinding in System.ServiceModel.PollingDuplex.dll

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  Phone  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Web Access Product Backlog should allow drag-and-drop to team (area path)

In TFS Web Access, on the Product Backlog, it would be nice if you could drag-and-drop to a team (area path), like you can with an iteration. In multi-team projects, teams have to drag the item to an iteration, and then open the item to assign a team (area path).

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base