Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. When the tests are organized in folders and subfolders within the solution then show this structure in the ordered test editor as well.

When creating many coded tests (Unit Test & Coded UI Tests) for a solution the tests are organized within the test project in folders and subfolders. When creating an orderd test, these tests are all shown in one big list. The idea is to show in the ordered test editor these tests in the same folder/subfolder structure conform the test project layout. Additionally, when the coded tests are spread accross mutiple test projects for the same solution then group these tests first by test project name then show the folder/subfolder structure of that test project.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Load Test Graphs should have a text box to specify custom range value to display the graphs

The load tests graphs displayed have a predefined list of Range value to select. This doesn't suffice everytime.

It would be useful if we have given flexibility to enter a custom Range value for graphs in load test analyser so we can see the graphs in more appropriate way.

Please provide your thoughts on this.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Syntax coloring for F# ASCII char literals

The Visual Studio IDE correctly colors ASCII (byte) literals i.e.

"Hello World"B

but not ASCII (byte) characters, i.e.

'H'B

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Expose Project [/Team] Iterations through VSO REST API

We currently have a custom sprint dashboard that we use to run our projects. A big piece of that is being able to pull iteration schedules from VSO, which we currently do through the standard .NET API. This is primary issue preventing us from transitioning the dashboard to using the REST API to simplify deployment.

8 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • ConcurrentDictionary and Dictionary: Please add methods to retrieve original key with value

Currently there's no way to retrieve the original key that was in use when value was added to ConcurrentDictionary (same apply to regular Dictionary). Please add overloads that allow to retrieve original key together with the value.
            For example, today ConcurrentDictionary has TryGetValue(TKey key, out TValue value) and the new overload would be then TryGetValue(TKey key, out TKey originalKey, out TValue value).

This functionality is very useful if the dictionary has custom comparator. For example for strings it may be StringComparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase. And then for every string, with different case that matched by comparator, dictionary would report that it has value…

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Display sum of story points in a sprint - agile template

When planning sprints it would be very nice to see a total of the story points that have been added. The only way to do this right now is open a query in Excel and sum the column. Not very handy when planning a sprint using the web client.

151 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                2 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Path.TryGetAvailableSpace(path,SpaceEnum.UserWritable)

This should work. I should be able to "try" this on any file system (unc, junction, mount point, network, dvdrw) without pinvoke.

if (Path.TryGetAvailableSpace(var writablespace,path,SpaceEnum.UserWritable) > x) && writablespace < 123) { ... fail ... }

6 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  3 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Forms should be compatable with tourch device . No other coding should be required. Will save alot of time coding for touch devices.

I think conventional C# programming should work with touch devices. I had rally hard time working with pages as i want to work for touch devices. Some time i had new things to cover but it slow my development process.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Avoid multiple error message when selected a base class for a user control

When I try to create a new user control using add item and then inherited user control, I got the following message multiple times which is annoying.

There should be a way to see the message at most one time by having a check box to ignore subsequent errors or another way to skip those message.

For a project having multiple assemblies that cannot be loaded for that purpose, this is annoying and it does take some extra time to load the list.

Other possibilities would be to display a list somewhere maybe with a grayed item showing the name…

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Windows Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Allow the Export of Process Templates from Existing Customised TFS Team Projects

It would be great if there was a feature to export the entire customised TFS Process Template from an existing Team Project. I would like to export the "full" customised Process Template file structure, in the same way (i.e. using Process Template Manager) I export the CMMI, Scrum and Agile Process Templates. I need to store the Process Template in Source Control in case I require an identical Team Project, and so that I can clearly see (e.g. using Visual Studio Compare) the changes resulting from an upgrade (e.g. TFS 2012 to 2013), and see the changes resulting from running…

6 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Add the ability to sync our VSO Iterations, Stories and effort with our Portfolio Project

Our organization consists of manufacturing, firmware and software departments. Culturally we have fully embraced Scrum for our Software teams, and we are getting ready to do the same with Firmware. Our Manufacturing departments will take some time to shift, thus we need this ability

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Make ConfigurationManager.SetConfigurationSytsem public

There are quite a few blog posts and questions on how to override the default behavior of app.configs. Many come to the conclusion that one needs to derive a class from IInternalConfigSystem and via reflection send this to the private method in ConfigurationManager.

Relying on private methods is never a good idea, and since a lot of .NET classes are hardwired to use ConfigurationManager to look up configurations it is important that we have the ability to override the default behavior. Making this single method public would probably be quite beneficial.

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Prompt before previewing strings/values with large sizes that make the debugger unstable

When debugging, putting the mouse over a variable shows a preview of what it contains. For large variables, it freezes everything while generating the preview. Make Visual Studio check the size of the variable and let the user know that the value is too large to preview. While I was running Remote Debugger, I put the mouse over a string containing deserialized XML data that I didn't realize was 42 megabytes, and the remote machine became entirely unstable to the point that it had to be restarted.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Enable .NET Native for LightSwitch

To make it as fast as Access & Windows Forms :)

29 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Can move or copy backlogs or bugs between project in Visual Studio Online

Can move or copy backlogs or bugs between project in Visual Studio Online

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • split same pages if appear several times in load test

A process contained several same page gives total average from all iterations. This thing can make bias when we want to observe response time for one single step.

example:
                                  1-login.aspx{get} (open home page)
                                  2-login.aspx{post} (insert username)
                                  3-login.aspx{post} (insert password)
                                  4-logout.aspx{get}

The page test result from step 2&3 will be combined and averaged in load test result. What if I just want to get page response time for step 2?

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • MSVC team: Do the same stunt as what the .NET team has done with Roslyn and rewrite your compiler.

Use C++. Use an AST. Make a public API to use that AST, among other compiler capabilities. OPEN SOURCE IT!

- Rewrite because we feel that you can't do much with all the legacy cruft in your current codebase.
                                    - Use C++ because current codebase is has lots of stuff written in C. *It's a C++ compiler after all.*
                                    - Create public API. CaaS or something. Like Roslyn. Like clang, LLVM. Even GCC seems to up their efforts in this area. You don't even need to outsource C++ Intellisense to some other company!
                                    - Open source because there's really no…

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • allow math functions on enums

VB allows some math and bitwise operators on enums. So why not also allow max, min? It's totally inconsistent.

I agree that enums with the Flags attribute need bitwise operations, but equally those without need arithmetic, at least to compare them.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Add the ability to multi-select one or more NuGet packages to update

Add a checkbox to the NuGet package list and a "Updated Selected" button. Currently, the only options are Update All or you have to update each package individually which can be cumbersome if there are numerous packages.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Bring back Cassini

Bring back Cassini, iis express aint any good, cannot serve custom urls/domains (without unsupported hacks).

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base