Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We would also like to invite you to check out the Announcements section we have added to this site, where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow to hide project templates

There are lots of projects templates I don't use, like Visual Basic, C++, etc. It would be a nice option to hide project templates we don't use, so they don't clutter the screen.

It is specially annoying when creating a new C# project, and you forget to change the language in the right and you end up creating a VB project.

A simple right click -> Hide this in the template tree, and a link in the bottom to "Show hidden items" would help with this.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      2 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Make C# be the default project template language

This is a very simple cosmetic stuff, but please make C# the default project type when installing Visual Studio.

I know that some people like Visual Basic, and there are 2 or 3 guys that still use VB in production, but lets face it, C# is the default .NET language and 99% of developers use that.

Make Visual C# to the default selected language, so we don't have to remember to change that everytime we install it.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Remove all non user specified assembly search paths

The fact of life right now is that assembly loading is harder to grasp than .jar loading in java.
        For all I care you can make the GAC still a resource I can reference, just make it explicit instead of having it on the assembly search path for every single application ever created in .NET. The current directory shouldn't be a default loading path either, go put all the assemblies that I referenced into the .appconfig via msbuild/VisualStudio and then everything is explicit and nothing can go wrong.
        Then write the .appconfig into the .NET metadata in Release mode.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add intents like what Android apps use to subscribe

Android intents are a powerful notification system that allows applications to subscribe to various OS level, app and system events. Coupled with Bundles (State management that can be boot persistent), adding this functionality to VS for all Windows OS's would a huge win for current developers and allow Android developers an easier transition to Windows.

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Open PDB file format to enable open source compiler output debugging

Or at least contribute PDB support to LLVM.
            That would allow to debug binaries, generated by clang, Rust, and other compilers in Visual Studio.

3 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Ability to specify only specific rows in Database DataSource are run instead of iterating thru all rows

Would like the ability to specify in an attribute or test initializer the specific rows I would like to iterate thru in my db datasource instead of iterating thru all rows which can take an extensive amount of time depending on the datasource.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Config Transforms for All XML Files - Not Just web.config

We are currently using SlowCheetah to do XML transforms for different build configurations. Visual Studio 2013 can already do this, but for some bizarre reason only for web.config files - not app.config. Please let us do it on *ALL* XML files.

6 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Please give us a theme option to use VS2010's full-color icons to Visual Studio

You don't need to improve adding some colors to icons. You already have full-color icons from VS2010. Please give us a theme option to use VS2010's full-color icons. VS2013 is still hurts our eyes.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Add a thread name property for native threads to support attach and minidump debugging

As of today, setting native thread names involves raising an SEH exception with data that includes the name one wishes to give to the current thread.
                    This only has an effect if Visual Studio is connected as debugger. If not, the thread name seems to be lost forever.

One of our common debugging use cases is using minidumps. The thing is, our executables may run tens of threads with similar callstacks. Sorting out which threads are of interest without names is hard.

Suggestion: setting a thread name should be a system feature that is connected to minidump capture; minidumps should…

63 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      2 comments  ·  Debugger  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Use absolute time in build results

Throughout team explorer and TWA, relative time is used (e.g. 2.5 hours ago). This makes it difficult to correlate diagnosis of intermittent build errors and other transient effects (Azure / other system outages etc.)

An example of this came up recently where a Microsoft support engineer asked for a specific timestamp of a failing build. The easiest way to get an accurate timestamp was to find the build status notification in hipchat.

It would be nice if this information was easily available in the UI in both UTC and local, but I'd settle for either of these rather than just…

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Make intellisense type aware

Say I have a method
                        Sub MoveFile(File as Fileinfo)
                        End Sub

When i call that method why does intellisense suggest objects that aren't FileInfo objects?
                        The compile knows its expecting a FileInfo object and will throw me an error if I pass an Int but intellisense is quite happy to suggest a boolean primitive.

If you made intellisense only suggest objects of suitable types for methods(and overloads) sorted with objects from the current block then method then class, most of the time the correct one would be top 3.

Tim

2 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Allow the column headings on the Task Board to remin visible as we scroll down the screen.

In TFS 2013, we are working on many User Stories in each sprint. When we scroll down to see the stories and their tasks, we lose the column headings, so we don't know which state each task is in.

How do I freeze the screen so the headings are always displays no matter how far I scroll down?

17 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Item templates provide custom Solution Explorer icons

I have a custom editor for a file type hosted in Visual Studio. I want it to display with a custom icon in Solution Explorer. I can create an item template for it, but the custom icon only shows up in the Add New file dialog, not the Solution Explorer.

Seems like something anyone creating a custom editor package / item template would want to do. In fact, having researched this, there are lots of people who tried and failed to do this.

I know I could set the custom icon in a project template, but I don't need a…

2 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Diagnostics logs should show the vstest.console command line

there are times we need to run the vstest.console manually so we can duplicate an issue on a Developer's machine ... but we cannot see the vstest.console command line in the diagnostics logs

18 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Report designer really needs to handle page breaks for Duplex printing. I suggest you add the option "Add Break on Even Pages When Duplexin

Report designer really needs to handle page breaks for Duplex printing. I suggest you add the option "Add Break on Even Pages When Duplexing" in Group Breaks in Reports. A large number of printers now support duplexing and this option is critical for business printing. The only other option for duplexed reports is to write as a document and handle in code or use 3rd Party report writer. Neither option is really a good one, Hard verses lots of money for small business or individuals. And we all want to save Trees :).

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Support Ribbon for WPF

Inner support Ribbon Design for WPF

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Typed DataSet Comments

Add XSD properties to allow Strongly Typed DataSets to add Summary comments when classes are generated.

It is not possible to describe fields.
                                    I use VisualStudio 2010 autogenerated XML documentation to provide Library information for third-party companies that uses our DLLs.

It would be wonderful to have that!

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Fix TFS local data store concurrency issues - TF400030: The local data store is currently in use by another operation...

TFS local data store really sucks in compare to traditional SVN integration.
                                      There should be special service to handle concurrent operations, when you have more than one VS opened - or - some kind of tool like TortoiseSVN would be better.

I still get race conditions causing change conflicts, e.g. by operations during T4.

Local data store should act logically - last change wins.

It's so easy to integrate using monikers (http://bit.ly/1nC0w3Q), so vote for MS developers to learn own tech. ;-)

14 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Ultimate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • 2 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Visual Studio Online "Backlog items to Tasks" view...keep the "Order" column on the left. Switch from Backlogs view hard to find BL items.

When using Visual Studio online to review/edit the backlog in the default "Backlogs item" view there is an "Order" column on the left which is great. But I often switch to the "Backlog items to Tasks" view to review tasks for BL items but the "Order" column disappears making it hard to find items that I was just looking at the Backlog items view.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)