Visual Studio

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, visit the Visual Studio Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio.

ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions have moved! All your ideas, including your votes, have been transferred and are searchable in the ASP.Net Uservoice forum. Please submit any new ASP.NET Runtime/Web Tooling suggestions, or vote on existing suggestions by going to http://aspnet.uservoice.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks – Deon Herbert
Visual Studio Team

Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. PHP Framework

Hi,
    im workin in a project, over 7 years ago, that the plan is simple, turns php to have the power of .net plataform.

I did something, like html controls, page controls, and im working in datagrids and something else.

The framework, is not just about that, the framework has its own ORM, that´s is a new concept, that i cant say right here.

Id like to ask you for help, to get in touch with somebody in Microsoft, to do some presentation of this framework, cuz it s becoming really, really nice.

This framework, rock every php framework that…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Assign Task with Source Pages and Varify automatic with some Commented tag in source

Should have option to Assign Task with Source page and in Checke-in should have validation of assigned task on particular page based on Tag. tag may be use in Commented Form. supposed i am project manager and i have assigned task to my developer for XYZ project. i assigned task to create one new page with tag"//NPEMSTER" to create new page named Employee master. now my developer when checked in it to TFS should have validation is there Tag included or not. if not should ask for change note.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Save .suo files on 'Restart Visual Studio'.

.suo files get updated properly on [File → Exit] or even x-button in Visual Studio.
        However, [File → Restart Visual Studio] doesn't save them and reload the current projects so outlining and breakpoints are all messed up after restart.

0 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • UITestActionLog.HTML log file should generate for order test exceution in coded UI automation

My suggestion is that , the log file UITestActionLog.HTML is generating in coded UI automation but it is generating for single test case execution and it is not generating in Order Test execution.
          So I would like to know anybody having the idea regarding that.

7 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Source Control History Enhancements

It would be extremely helpful for the source control (TFS), source control history, label history and other related windows have the following enhancements made.

1. Make the standard search work for source control related windows. This would allow you to search for something in the comment, a version, date, etc.

2. Make all fields in the source control windows sortable both ascending and descending.

3. Make all fields in the source control windows rearrangable.

4. Cause related information to be displayed in the Properties window when a changeset, label, etc. is currently highlighted in a source control window. For a…

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  IDE  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Combine Multiple transactions results into a single one

Current Behavior : I have created a web performance web test in which I have combined different HTTP requests into transactions. All these transactions need to be executed in sequential order – as the output of the first transaction serves as input to the second transaction request. So the order of these transactions cannot be changed. Currently when the test results are being displayed, there is no option available to combine different transaction results into one single transaction result.

Desired Output: It would be really helpful if we had an option to combine multiple transactions results into a single transacation…

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Test and Lab Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Support XNA game studio

XNA development studio cannot be installed for VS 2012 and since VS 2010 is no longer available for purchase this is a problem for someone who wants to keep maintaining/developing their solutions based on this MS technology.

Please update XNA studio to install properly on Windows 8 (there are some issues with one of the .msi involved) and, more importantly, update VS templates/project types to function in VS 2012.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Color weakness

The German Wikipedia says 9 percent of men have red-green color weakness. Other color visual impairments are not negligible. I even have the feeling that this group is enriched in programming.
                  Please check your program design for usability for people with color weakness. Use e.g. http://www.vischeck.com/vischeck/

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Integrate compiler and IntelliSense

No need to maintain IntelliSense and compiler as different enities because it'll always be different. IntelliSense should be a compiler itself! Compiler gives it's object model to editor and editor colores and offers identifiers and many other. Compilation is done right in time when developer types, so no need to wait for a compilation. A compiled program's model is kept in memory together with source code. Moreover, this kind of model allows to implement the real edit-and-continue feature by using it while debugging. Repeat: the same tools should be used for IntelliSense and compilation; the compiler just gives it's object…

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Save all editing history

All edited documents should be integrated with their undo/redo editing history. While editing, user will not have to save document every second, because it should be done automatically, like online office do. Thus, no need to keep documents opened, because they all always in "opened" state. More to say, redo history is expensive enough to dicard every time you type, so redo could be saved for a while and switched to like a project branch.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Add A Container Project Template To Organize Additional Files and Directories

Medium to large solutions will eventually have many more files than you can manage in the "Solution items" folder, e.g. common files such as images, dependent external/3rd party DLLs (checked into source to guaranty an isolated build).

Trying to maintain these files or even directories of files yourself is a pain and they don't always follow the physical path or renaming like you'd want them to.

Create a simple "Container Project" which stores ANY file or directory you like except known solution user or temporary files. That will have the following benefits:

1) Save time organizing these items.
                        2) Help…

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Add an option "Automatically show New Code Request window after every check-in"

We do request Code Reviews on all checkins / changesets. So the actual goal is to bring up the "New Code Request" window for the Changeset just created by the check-in as easy as possible.

An Source Control - Visual Studio Team Foundation Server option "Automatically show New Code Request window after every check-in" would simplify this process.

The developer can then decide to submit the request (common case) or cancel (rare case).

7 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Keep Property Window contents visible when switching from WinForm designer to WinForm code

When switching from a WinForm's designer to THAT SAME WinForm's code view, I'd expect the Properties window to not lose its view (get cleared), but keep on showing the object I have select in the WinForm designer (if I go back to the WinForm designer tab it shows the Properties again).

That way I'll be able to edit multiple Properties/Events of the object I've selected without going back and forth between the WinForm designer and the WinForm code tabs lots of times which becomes a distraction

7 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Windows Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Create a "remove all remnants of Visual Studio from your system" program.

I'm writing this on behalf of the thousands of other Visual Studio users out there who have had nightmares trying to uninstall previous versions of VS. Thus cumulatively losing hundreds of thousands of productive work hours.

During this year, I had installed the following programs/components on my system:
                              * Visual Studio 2012 Express for Desktop
                              * Visual Studio 2012 Express for Web
                              * Team Foundation Server Express
                              * SQL Server Express
                              * SQL Server Data Tools
                              * LightSwitch 2011 trial (which created a VS 2010 installation)
                              * Visual Studio 2010 Tools for SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2
                              * Entity Framework…

1,386 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                32 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are aware of this issue and we are evaluating whether we are able to address it in a future release. In the meantime, have you tried our uninstall /force feature? You are able to use this feature even if you have already uninstalled Visual Studio:
                                http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2771441/EN-US#Force
                                I understand that this does not completely meet your needs but I am hopeful that it will help resolve some of the issues you described above.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide feedback.

Kelly Berman
                                Visual Studio Program Manager

• VDTSDB - User Accounts Deployment

I have a different user accounts for different environments
                                Also have different databases country wise with same schema structure
                                When i am deploying i wants to ignore the user accounts addition/deletion
                                As per the current VSTSDB deployment utility, i am not able to do this
                                It would be great, If i get an option to "ignore users" during deployment/deployment script generation through VSTSDB

12 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Database Projects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Change ballon "Extract by an other user" with the list of user that extracted the file

When you work with TFS with other developers, one of them could extract and lock a solution file.
                                  If you look the help baloon, it just say it's extracted by someone else or somewhere else.
                                  Could you replace this static baloon by the list of team members that are usind the file ?
                                  Thanks,
                                  Laurent

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • TFS - When loading pending changes, please show which workspace is getting loaded.

Currently, when I open VS and show Team Explorer it takes 30 sec to 1 min for the "pending changes" view to load. It would be great to know *which* workspace is getting loaded, so that I can find the workspace I care about quickly.

This is useful so that I can start syncing that workspace using source control explorer or I can open the correct SLN that I want to use and not be blocked.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Team Foundation Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Multiple projects team favorites overview

In Team Foundation Service it would be very useful to have a page where we can put team favorites queries for multiple projects. A kind of Mashup for all the projects I'm related to, so I can see in one page a dashboard with all the burndowns for the projects I'm managing and how are the teams performing in the current sprint.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Add the ability to easily change the backlog priority by area path

It would be extremely helpful if we had the ability to easily prioritize work items within a query or within an area path. It is much easier to order work items when you are comparing work items that are related in some way. I love the drag and drop feature to order work items in the backlog so it would be ideal if this feature were available when trying to sort work items within an area path.

4 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • TFS Pending Changes - preview diff

When you select an item on the pending changes dialog, it could automatically open the diff as a preview

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base